The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Home Forums Horse Racing The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

You made a direct comparison between The Grey Berry and Binocular on their flat form, FOF, so I find it difficult to understand how you can lambast Smithy for simply taking the opposite view. And whilst equating the pair’s exploits on the level is almost impossible, Topspeed and RPR figures suggest they were incredibly similar (and trying to use prize money as some sort of justification as to the quality of the races in which Bonocular ran, given that the races were held in different countries, is nonsense). My guess is that, based on your comments previously, had McManus paid 340,000gns for The Grey Berry (he’s not averse to wasting that sort of cash, just take a look at Garde Champetre), you’d be jumping up and down about him right about now. It’s a hollow point I know, but still…

I will brush over the fact that, yet again, you’ve managed to work a completely unrelated comment about a winner you’ve backed into a conversation, but how exactly would The Grey Berry’s performance today have any effect on your view that Binocular is ‘extra special’?

The Grey Berry has an extremely likeable attitude, improved with every run during the flat season and can find a change of gear when he needs to (the turn of foot he showed to win at Ayr after being hampered on the run in was superb). His performance today wasn’t perfect, not by any means, and the biggest worry for me is that he’s with Phillip Hobbs. But Hobbs does know what it takes to win a Triumph, and even finish second in one, so any market move could, conceivably, be seen as significant.

There’s no doubting Binocular has a touch of class about him, and that his flat form is decent, but there’s nothing to suggest he was any better than The Grey Berry. His debut was impressive, but as I’ve said before the form means very little with Metaphoric having run well below form and it’s difficult to see where improvement is going to come from on the jumping front.

But that’s just my opinion, and none of it based on my preconceived ideas about certain racing personalities (god forbid Binocular should have gone to Jonjo, or you’d be on the verge of getting really excited). I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that the two do actually meet at the Festival now, though how likely that is with Franchoek also in the running is anybody’s guess.

Geez you are full of yourself mate what’s my relationship with Smithy got to do with you?

Your comments about what I am and what I would be doing where do you get these stupid ideas?

I would be Jumping up and down would I? I couldn’t give a rats ass what JP owns and doesn’t own…..what has he got to do with what I think about Binocular?

Have I ever said Franchoek is a future superstar or will win the Triumph? I think not……I have said he’s workmanlike and not my type of horse

Your comment is stupid and uncalled for.I look at the horse mate not the friggin owner.

This conversation is about the Grey Berry and can do without your snide know it all comments that you clearly write without thinking.

preconceived ideas about certain racing personalities? what a load of balls

Do me a favour LGR don’t respond to any post I write unless you can do so without adding your silly, unfounded opinions of me.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

TGB is entered in an interesting class 2 juv novice race on thursday (songe and norman invader, who looked good in his debut second behind binocular the other saturday at ascot are alos entered), hopefully if he runs then we’ll get a good idea if he’s cheltenham class.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

A good looking race on the cards tomorrow, norman the great is a nice horse, and ran well behind binocular a few other nice ones in race too, but think tgb can beat them, looking forward to him actually running in a good race this time, hope he performs well…

• Total Posts 2440

Just ran a very disappointing race.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

If you don’t put a horse into the race then they’re never likely to win. That said, his jumping was abismal.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

For a £25k hurdle that was poor stuff – I’ve got one that beat the runner up Chord earlier in the season and he’s rated 98!

The Grey Berry can’t jump and probably doesn’t stay either, at least on soft ground. Norman The Great didn’t do much for the Binocular form either, looking slow and a shade reluctant as well.

AP

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Please, please, please put The Grey Berry away until the Flat season. Please.

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I guess he ran in an easy race to brush up his jumping. Whilst safe enough today, he wasnt always totally fluent and a faster pace/better race may have caused significant problems.
    340,000gns? Even if I had it, i’d still rather pay £5k for the second horse today.

You heard it here first :lol:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Gutted, disappointing isnt the word! The race was run to suit him and everything but he looked like he was playing up in the first few furlongs and looked tired all the way and especially from half way onwards, should have been pulled up after that mistake 3 out.

Lets face it, hes better than that, that was worse than his debut but I dont understand why hobbs has brought him out in that shape, he didnt look right from the off and looking at that he surely cant have been giving any signs back home that he was ready for a race.

Have always fancied this horse as an exciting prospect over jumps and today was just disgracefully bad, if I was the owner, Id try him with another trainer before deciding what to do next.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Obvously an eye will have to be kept on his Triumph entry, but given that the ability to jump doesn’t tend to be regressive, and that the horse was put into the race far earlier on his debut (well, he wasn’t put into it at all today), my guess is we’ll still see him line up at the Festival.

My view would probably be different if ‘Hobbs’ didn’t appear in the trainer column, but time will tell…

• Total Posts 2440

I personally cannot see anything coming near Franchoek in the Triump hurdle except maybe for Harper Valley.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I personally cannot see anything coming near Franchoek in the Triump hurdle except maybe for Harper Valley.

I’m with you on that one Gaz. I backed Franchoek at 100’s, 66’s and 50’s for this race before he was even born – so it’s Fran all the way for me.

Ok, I had a score on at 10’s :lol:

Mike

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

On that run Im going to have to regard TGB as a beaten bet, or at the very least up against it in the triumph, that was too bad to be true, thought had quite a good triumph hand before that so have just backed one that I spotted on sunday- Tamimis History at 50-1, was impressed with his debut the other day in the class 2 scottish triumph, which was a very scrappy messy looking race race, but it was an interesting choice of debut race for another who was smart on the flat, think he will be suited to a better pace on same or better ground.

Also just backed backed Bulwark e/w for the spa novice at 66s because I have to.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

i was very disapointed with his run today. the slow pace should have suited him. I wasnt able to watch the race. did he sweat up badly before the race? Perhaps he didnt go on the ground? He surely cant be this bad after showing such ability on the flat!?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

He was a bit edgy as they walked on to the track, dave, but given that the entire field had been circling the parade ring for around 40 minutes I would forgive any signs of temperament.

The pace wasn’t what you might call brisk, but The Grey Berry was restrained at the back of the field, sometimes detached by a couple of lengths, and never given a chance to work himself into the race.

There is the possibility that he didn’t get home on the ground, but I’d put today’s performance down to the preliminaries, the ride and his jumping.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

Lots of people are mentioning this RIDE! i will have to watch the race. perhaps they are aiming the horse at the fred winter handicap and want a low mark!!!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

Dave22,

An interesting theory, but rather undermined by the fact that his handicap mark needs to rise to give him any chance of getting a run in the Fred Winter.

He’d also have to have a third run before Feb 25th.

His current mark is 112 and based on last year’s race, nothing rated under 120 will get a run at Cheltenham.

AP

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.