The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Home Forums Horse Racing The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Wonder how sick Chris Grant is feeling. Well done Tim Walford.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Progressive horse that he is I’d be highly delighted with that sale.
    Has someone bought him to go hurdling?

On a general point it’s amazing how the prices fluctuate.
    Greenwhich Meantine winner of the Chester Cup goes for 5k (not sure if that is to return to current connections).
    And then you have a two year old like Craggy Cat (admittedly quite useful) sold for 280k.
    I know age comes into it and Greenwich may be hard to place as a 7 year old off his current mark but should there be such a differential in the sale prices?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

You beat me to it DJ – not bad for a horse bought for 9,500 a year ago.

Tim Walford had an excellent season with a team of six horses on the flat, with more than 50% making the first three. The big boys can match that thanks to having plenty of maidens, but it’s not so easy with just handicappers.

Re Greenwich Meantime, age doesn’t always deter buyers as Odiham went for 55,000gns.

AP

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

and SCRIPTWRITER sold for a bargain basement 35,000 and off to Howard Johnson. An absolute steal.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

WOW! That’s staggering.

I never realised Greenwich meantime was sold so cheaply either.

Wonder how the trainers can determine whether a horse will take to jumps etc.

I’m looking forward to seeing whispering Death, think he can turn out to be a great horse given the right training. Fingers crossed anyway

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

Greenwich Meantime has certainly gone back to his old yard as he’s entered in Fahey’s name for a 14F handicap at Musselburgh on Friday.

AP

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Belated hurdling debut at Southwell tomorrow. Looking forward to seeinghow he gets on.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Me too DJ, I would have thought on his flat form, and his market support about 3 weeks ago that he’d be up to challenging a better race, was entered for a weak class 3 on friday at donny and for a class4 on monday.

There is always the possibility that they just want to get a run and a bit of hurdling experience into him before stepping him up so I hope he goes well.

There isnt a great deal happening with him in the markets tonight, hes steady enough on the exchanges and coral have cut him 33s to 25s.

Aiden Murphy the buyer who bought him said at the time that they had been holding off buying anything all week at the sales and then saw him and thought he was smart and so paid 340,000 for him.

Lets hope he goes well…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

This horse was brought to my attention by a fellow member. Not being a big fan of the Flat I knew nothing about the horse.

Shock!!!! Shock!!! and Horror!!!! :lol:

The guy that paid 340,000 g’s for this horse must be stark raving mad.

He’s won a few poxy races on the flat and wouldn’t even have covered his keep.Was hardly a model of consistency

He must have jumper written all over him for the owner to have bought him. But even if his Daddy was Arkle himself he wouldn’t be worth 100K on what he has done in the past.

Who was his adviser at the sales…the sellers wife :lol:

He’ll be 4/11 today and better be winning that race or the owner can kiss his cash bye bye for along time to come…………….he deserves to be winning 6 champion hurdles with him having the bottle to pay out money like that?

The damn thing is no matter how easily he wins today you couldn’t possible be betting him at Cheltenham looks an awful race.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

This horse was brought to my attention by a fellow member. Not being a big fan of the Flat I knew nothing about the horse.

Shock!!!! Shock!!! and Horror!!!! :lol:

The guy that paid 340,000 g’s for this horse must be stark raving mad.

He’s won a few poxy races on the flat and wouldn’t even have covered his keep.Was hardly a model of consistency

He must have jumper written all over him for the owner to have bought him. But even if his Daddy was Arkle himself he wouldn’t be worth 100K on what he has done in the past.

Who was his adviser at the sales…the sellers wife :lol:

He’ll be 4/11 today and better be winning that race or the owner can kiss his cash bye bye for along time to come…………….he deserves to be winning 6 champion hurdles with him having the bottle to pay out money like that?

The damn thing is no matter how easily he wins today you couldn’t possible be betting him at Cheltenham looks an awful race.

Have you actually looked at the horse’s form? Or are you just blustering again? He was thoroughly consistent, improving, genuine and he looks an ideal type for hurdling.

Nayodabayo
    • Total Posts 40

Given the fact the likes of McManus, Ogden, Hemmings splash out hundreds of thousands on store horses to turn out in a field for additional twelve months and once they enter training establish a prenounced likelihood – the trainer whose weight went up the creek twenty years earlier can run quicker uphill anyway the odds must be in your favour for every 100k+ jumping recruit purchased from off the flat recouping more of the investment on the owners hobby than some unbroken yak.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

It is unlikely that Arkle would have been his "daddy".

Colin

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I remember thinking that Purple Moon was a waste of money this time last year :(

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

It is worth noting that Aiden Murphy didnt just go out and bid 340,000 gns for the horse but he would have been bid up to that price (Walford was surprised that he went for that price, but said afterwards that he had just sold the triumph hurdle winner) and there must have been a lot of interest in him.
    Decent 1m2f horses on the flat can go on to do well in 2 mile hurdles and the horse was very consistent in improving on the flat, which would suggest he has a good training attitude and handled every sort of ground with cut in it, I would expect that there must be something more that they liked when they seen the horse to justify such interest, and I hope they make their money back on him.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Wonder how the trainers can determine whether a horse will take to jumps etc.

that’s what I wonder too: can anyone tell me if there are any things which determine whether a horse is a likely type for hurdles or not? the trip they run at, build, running style?

Surely the people who buy flat horses to run over the jumps aren’t just guessing; though I suppose you can only guess as to whether they will be able to jump well or not.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Sounds like it jumped well and won easy, shame it was such an easy race, it doesn’t tell us much other than he’s fit and well and taken to hurdles. Hope he steps up in grade soon

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Again, the bookies seem impressed and have moved 14s and 16s, which is quite substantial for winning a class 5 maiden hurdle…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.