The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The FA Cup

Home Forums General Sports The FA Cup

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

what a great cup day

:)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The bubble of the big 4 is burst, with of all teams Barnsley doing half of the damage!

Mike, I’d be getting very excited if I were you!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Yep, it’s looking game on for Mike’s Boro now…

…until Mrs Column’s West Brom nack you in the final. :lol:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Yes, very nervous times indeed now.

Yesterday I was feeling fine, thinking we’ll beat Cardiff and get a trip to Wembley but still have to face Man Utd or Chelsea, so my hopes weren’t that high of lifting the cup…..

But now, I’m bricking it :D – and I’m very fearful for today as all of a sudden the pressure is firmly on Boro as now they are one of the favourites to win the tournament :shock:

I’m off to the match now, early I know but I’m taking the kids shopping first then going for a spot of dinner to settle my stomach :lol:

I will report back later, either delirious or with dreams shattered.

Mike

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8967

Good luck Micky!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

:shock:

If I remember correctly, Ladbrokes or Hills priced up a Premiership team to win the cup at 4/6 and they were absolutely filled in. I think somebody on the BF forum calculated that, on past seasons, it should have been 1/6. An incredible weekend’s football.

West Brom must be shitting themselves.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Yes, very nervous times indeed now.

Yesterday I was feeling fine, thinking we’ll beat Cardiff and get a trip to Wembley but still have to face Man Utd or Chelsea, so my hopes weren’t that high of lifting the cup…..

But now, I’m bricking it :D – and I’m very fearful for today as all of a sudden the pressure is firmly on Boro as now they are one of the favourites to win the tournament :shock:

I’m off to the match now, early I know but I’m taking the kids shopping first then going for a spot of dinner to settle my stomach :lol:

I will report back later, either delirious or with dreams shattered.

Mike

Sorry Mike that Boro did not win. It was probably their best chance to lift the cup for a long while. I did think they were awful though and seemed clueless in the opponent’s half. Just thumped the ball up to the 2 attackers and got nowhere. They didn’t seem that motivated either. I think they are showing relegation form and a trip to Arsenal next week won’t help but maybe they’ll win that one.

Good luck

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I have two facts about football.

1. Rockemback is the worst Brazilian footballer ever.
    2. As soon as you think all you have to do to win is turn up, you will get beat.

Thank god there’s 10 cans of Grolsch in the fridge with my name on it :D

When you put into context the teams we were playing, I’ve just witnessed the two worst performances from Boro in my 25 years of watchin them. Reading had lost eight consecutive games and had fell into the relegation zone, while Cardiff were a division lower and hadn’t scored a goal for four weeks – yet we never created a single chance in 180 minutes of football against them both.

Absolutely dreadful.

Now, where’s that first can?

Mike

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Commiserations, Mike. When you get sober let us know who you would like to see take over :wink:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Jeez Mikky that must’ve been painful, sorry to say but Boro look a very poor side, they’ll never get a better chance of winning anything again.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It was painful alright Jim, it was a horrible performance and I’m afraid Southgate should be ashamed of himself for leaving Fabio Rockemback on the pitch.

Ok, I agree everyone was poor, but this guy Rockemback (according to stats today) attempted 32 passes, and only 6 found the target – that’s an amazing 26 passes either to the opposition or to nobody :shock: . His free-kick taking is abysmal, he can’t tackle, he looks way overweight (as does Alvest and Mido), and you could see from the first half an hour he was having a stinker.

As soon as Barnsley beat Chelsea on Saturday evening, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "Soutghgate must get the player in right now". What I meant by that was if every fan is thinking that we now had a great chance to win the cup, then the players would be thinking it also. However, it’s ok for the fans to get ahead of themselves but the players shouldn’t and the manager should have got them in immediately and drilled in the importance of not looking beyond Cardiff.

Amazingly Southgate admitted that Boro froze because of the opportunity they now had of winning the cup – so that means to me he didn’t do his job of keeping the players focussed on the Cardiff game – Boro just expected to turn up and win.

It was the same against Reading last week – Boro just turned up and expected to roll over a team that had lost eight in a row. As I’ve said, Boro didn’t creat one single chance in those two games – yes we had a few shots, but from 30 yards or so. It’s not acceptable.

Out of Boro’s next six games they have to play Aston Villa, Chelsea, Man utd, Arsenal and Spurs – you can’t see where a point is coming from to be honest, but this is Boro – capable of losing to Reading and Cardiff, but somehow manage to beat the likes of Chelsea in successive seasons, Man Utd (4-1) a few seasons back, Arsenal this season etc.

As a Boro fan, you just never know what to expect!

Mike

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Portsmouth wil win the cup now… surely.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Nah. Mrs Column’s West Brom’ll sort them out.

Maybe. 8)

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.