The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Dubai World Cup – should be in Vienna

Home Forums Horse Racing The Dubai World Cup – should be in Vienna

Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Also, I can’t help think that when all our old racecourses were built a hundred or so years ago, the labour/working conditions probably were nothing to get excited about.

I’m sure. But that’s 100 years ago (more like 150 for most courses). It’s a poor, poor excuse for accepting dismal standards in 2012.

Mike

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

The food we eat, the clothes and things we buy, etc – do we really look into where they came from and who was involved in the supply chain?

Increasingly so, yes. Look at the pressure applied to our supermarkets, fast-food and clothing chains in recent years to clean up their supply chain. There’s been high-profile campaigns against Matalan, McDonald’s, Tesco and others.

This are standards we are increasingly aspiring to.

Mike

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

And are you going to refuse to buy petrol for your car Mike? Because it comes from Dubai or one with a worse record? What about China? Russia? Half of Africa?

Of course we all would like to see an end to slave labour and any other infringements of human rights. But in the grand scheme of things, Dubai is more civilised than most countries in that area.

It’s a very fair point Ginge, but we do what we can. Actually, the oil industry throughout the UAE treats it’s (largely Western & Emirati) workers pretty well so it’s probably not a great comparison anyway. However this isn’t essential fuel, food or clothing, this is racing. A mere hobby, an interest.

I remain disgusted with the world’s press whose rampant obsequiousness (on expenses, of course) reports how wonderful all this is, yet somehow none of them have made the short trip outside the city to Sonapur, a teeming ‘workers city’ of hundreds of thousands of serf Asian labour living in appalling conditions.

It’s a nasty little event, in a nasty little place.

We should boycott it.

Mike

slewman
    • Total Posts 199

Having said all that what has not been said is the workers that built Meydan did not pay tax on their earnings. The last time I looked I was paying 23 cents in the dollar!

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

People have probably been exploited to death somewhere along the line in the production of your computer from raw parts and minerals, but we couldn’t do without them, could we?

About the only way to take ourselves completely out of the line of exploitation would be to retire to a self-sufficient hippy commune somewhere, but even then you’d end up polluting to some extent and any funds or income you have held with banks would be used to cause more misery somewhere in the world.

Even God cannot save everybody or stop all the nastiness.

So slave labour was involved – let’s congratulate them for their effort and enjoy the output as we do with lots of other things without knowing it.

Relatively speaking there are millions more in the world worse off than them, as there are millions better off than us, life is like a Dubai World Cup horse race – someone has to finish first, last and occasionally and tragically, some suffer and get shot.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Having said all that what has not been said is the workers that built Meydan did not pay tax on their earnings. The last time I looked I was paying 23 cents in the dollar!

There is no human response to this.

Mike

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

So slave labour was involved – let’s congratulate them for their effort and enjoy the output as we do with lots of other things without knowing it.

But the trouble is we

do

know it in this case. Given the choice, none of us (hopefully!) would willingly purchase goods that have

knowingly

been created from the misery of others. So why do we do it here?

All those participating at Dubai know the human unpleasantness that their sport in this part of the world has been built on. This makes them comprimised morally. Doubly so for the fawning racing media.

I don’t live in some fairytale utopia. I understand that there are probably a million other cases of similar exploitation going on elsewhere. But that’s a dismal reason to ignore what’s going on here.

Mike

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

A creature manifestly between the Gorilla and the Negro is to be met with in some of the lowest districts of London and Liverpool by adventurous explorers. It comes from Ireland, whence it has contrived to migrate; it belongs in fact to a tribe of Irish savages: the lowest species of Irish Yahoo. When conversing with its kind it talks a sort of gibberish. It is, moreover, a climbing animal, and may sometimes be seen ascending a ladder laden with a hod of bricks.

Give it a rest, Mike.

for jaysus sake

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29188

I don’t live in some fairytale utopia. I understand that there are probably a million other cases of similar exploitation going on elsewhere. But that’s a dismal reason to ignore what’s going on here.

Mike

It shoudn’t be ignored Mike, diplomacy should be the way to make "slave labour" in friendly countries a thing of the past. We don’t know what is said behind the scenes (hopefully a lot). Treating Sheikh Mo and Co as priahs isn’t going to solve the problem.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.