The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Dubai World Cup – should be in Vienna

Home Forums Horse Racing The Dubai World Cup – should be in Vienna

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Because ‘it means nothing to me…’

Make myself laugh sometimes.

Only sometimes.

Mike

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Gave me a titter too :lol:

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I know what you mean, the world’s newest and best racecourse attracting top horses from around the globe for the world’s biggest purses – bin it.

And while we’re at it, those Breeders Cup and Royal Ascot meetings should be chucked too, they mean nothing.

What we want are more small field low grade novice hurdles and beginner chases from somewhere like Cartmel, weather permitting, broadcast on RUK of course.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

I can understand you feeling that way Mike, in races where there’s no British/Irish/European interest. But surely, SURELY you’re interested in seeing Cirrus Des Aigles v St Nicholas Abbey v the "newcomer" Beaten Up? And what about So You Think in the World Cup? Even the UAE Derby is of better quality this term, with winner Daddy Long Legs a possible Irish Kentucky Derby candidate.

For me, Dubai has more interest than GB today.

Value Is Everything
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

I know what you mean, the world’s newest and best racecourse attracting top horses from around the globe for the world’s biggest purses – bin it.

Yes, bin it.

The world’s "newest and best racecourse" was created in a city built by Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Phillipino labour operating virtually as paid slaves. Their passports are retained on entry to the country. Their working conditions have been described as ‘sub-human’ by Human Rights Watch. They have no right to strike. They have no right to withdraw their labour. There are no unions (despite the unelected ‘Government’ promising such for a few years now).

I’m sure it’s absolutely super for the world’s elite to have their yummy racecourse, along with their indoor chilled ski slopes, offshore islands, air-conditioned seven-star hotels and so on.

However I just can’t quite get this endless train of shiny, glitzy, enviromentally-suicidal vanity projects to cover up in my mind the human misery and exploitation needed for them to flourish.

So, yeah, I’ll leave the whole disgusting money-fetishising project thanks and indeed stick to novice hurdles at Cartmel. True, they don’t have £3.8 million to the winner but I bet the two grand feels

cleaner

somehow.

Mike

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Yes, bin it.

The world’s "newest and best racecourse" was created in a city built by Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Phillipino labour operating virtually as paid slaves. Their passports are retained on entry to the country. Their working conditions have been described as ‘sub-human’ by Human Rights Watch. They have no right to strike. They have no right to withdraw their labour. There are no unions (despite the unelected ‘Government’ promising such for a few years now).

I’m sure it’s absolutely super for the world’s elite to have their yummy racecourse, along with their indoor chilled ski slopes, offshore islands, air-conditioned seven-star hotels and so on.

However I just can’t quite get this endless train of shiny, glitzy, enviromentally-suicidal vanity projects to cover up in my mind the human misery and exploitation needed for them to flourish.

So, yeah, I’ll leave the whole disgusting money-fetishising project thanks and indeed stick to novice hurdles at Cartmel. True, they don’t have £3.8 million to the winner but I bet the two grand feels

cleaner

somehow.

Mike

It would be a shame if we all liked the same thing but the racing is considerably more interesting than Cheltenham to me.

Would you say that the non-elected Government in Dubai has wasted their oil revenues any more despicably than the elected government in the UK in the 1980s?

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Would you say that the non-elected Government in Dubai has wasted their oil revenues any more despicably than the elected government in the UK in the 1980s?

Yes I would.

You are of course perfectly at liberty to describe any UK government as acting ‘depicably’ if that’s your opinion.

Try saying it at Meydan racecourse about the Dubai government.

Mike

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

MONTEROSSO?

Yes bin it…

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Yes I would.

You are of course perfectly at liberty to describe any UK government as acting ‘depicably’ if that’s your opinion.

Try saying it at Meydan racecourse about the Dubai government.

Mike

And are you going to refuse to buy petrol for your car Mike? Because it comes from Dubai or one with a worse record? What about China? Russia? Half of Africa?

Of course we all would like to see an end to slave labour and any other infringements of human rights. But in the grand scheme of things, Dubai is more civilised than most countries in that area.

Value Is Everything
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Also, I can’t help think that when all our old racecourses were built a hundred or so years ago, the labour/working conditions probably were nothing to get excited about.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1337

Also, I can’t help think that when all our old racecourses were built a hundred or so years ago, the labour/working conditions probably were nothing to get excited about.

The sport in the US was built on the backs of slaves. Even now most stable workers are poor minorities, and they get little more than minimum wage.

There was a bit of an uproar a few years ago about how awful the housing for grooms was at Saratoga. They got renovated only recently.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

The sport in the US was built on the backs of slaves. Even now most stable workers are poor minorities, and they get little more than minimum wage.

There was a bit of an uproar a few years ago about how awful the housing for grooms was at Saratoga. They got renovated only recently.

To be fair Miss Woodford, I think the housing in Saratoga and "minimum wage" thing, pales in to insignificance up against some of the things Mike is on about. I saw a documentary about the way they were/are treated. It’s true, if they were British or American workers, there’d be hell to pay.

These workers are trapped because they have no money for the return flight home. (Haven’t heard they’ve not got their passports as Mike says). Certainly paid very little and living on the streets at night.

Value Is Everything
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

The food we eat, the clothes and things we buy, etc – do we really look into where they came from and who was involved in the supply chain?

I suspect if we did, we’d have to give up a lot of it, if we were going to play the morality card properly.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Very true SBerry.

Value Is Everything
    Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1337

To be fair Miss Woodford, I think the housing in Saratoga and "minimum wage" thing, pales in to insignificance up against some of the things Mike is on about. I saw a documentary about the way they were/are treated. It’s true,

if they were British or American workers, there’d be hell to pay.

These workers are trapped because they have no money for the return flight home. (Haven’t heard they’ve not got their passports as Mike says). Certainly paid very little and living on the streets at night.

Many grooms here are in fact illegal immigrants, so if they complain they risk being reported and deported. Not slave labor, but not the type of situation that should occur in the "Sport of Kings".

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Many grooms here are in fact illegal immigrants, so if they complain they risk being reported and deported. Not slave labor, but not the type of situation that should occur in the "Sport of Kings".

Again very true Miss Woodford. But the construction workers in Dubai would love to be "deported". They were (allegedly) hired under false pretences and just want to return home.

Value Is Everything
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Absolutely agree with Mike, this is what I wrote about Meydan when it was first opened and I stand by every word of it.

http://www.ors-racing.co.uk/Beast/DesertMirage.html

The food we eat, the clothes and things we buy, etc – do we really look into where they came from and who was involved in the supply chain?

I suspect if we did, we’d have to give up a lot of it, if we were going to play the morality card properly.

Well some of us try to but it isn’t always easy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.