The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Dubai International Racing Carnival

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Dubai International Racing Carnival

Viewing 9 posts - 35 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Good to see Curlin win like that, be a job for anything to stay with him this season I would think. At least we know he’s still in great form.

I’d like to see Robby Albarado ride over here.

• Total Posts 1688

Don’t know if he would be as good as Steven Cauthen or Jerry Bailey. :)

• Total Posts 1688

It’s almost a lost cause, the Dubai World Cup. Curlin was expected to jog-trot to an effortless victory and he duly did such a thing.

Those who like the short odds for a quick bank injection – he is your best opportunity.

This weekend is the Grade I Santa Anita Handicap – a definitive race for horses considered to jet over for the Dubai World Cup and other features. The line-up includes Awesome Gem, Well Armed, Monterey Jazz, Student Council, Tiago, Great Hunter, Air Commander and Heatseeker. Another of the Hasili family’s rich squadron, Champs Elysees, is also entered but looking out for th Dubai Sheema Classic with Medici Code (Dubai Duty Free).

Daaher’s Dubai World Cup hopes were floundered with a disappointing Donn Handicap performance earlier this month – he gets a second tilt in Stymie Handicap over 9 furlongs at Aqueduct to prove his worth.

Cocoa Beach looks to have a promising future in the States after winning the UAE Oaks last night to complete the Classic double. For those huge followers of Dubai racing and the American scene as well, it maybe time to follow the major Group races held in South America, from Peru to Chile to Argentina to Brazil and Uruguay.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I’m sure that after the race Curlin’s trainer said matter-of-a-factly (I’m paraphrasing) ‘he should be able to win [the Dubai World Cup] without taking too much out of him, so he’ll have something left for America’. I can’t disagree with him, as I’ve just seen the betting for the first time today and the race doesn’t seem to have much depth… just Asiatic Boy to beat really.

I’ve only just noticed that Ismael (SP?) Mohammed, who had loads of winners last year, has disappeared. Does anyone know why he’s stopped training?

• Total Posts 1688

He may have joined forces with another Arab trainer or stable. You wouldn’t think he would let the business go entirely – he smoked Nad Al Sheba last season.

I think Curlin has plenty to do to beat Asiatic Boy.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

I’m sure that after the race Curlin’s trainer said matter-of-a-factly (I’m paraphrasing) ‘he should be able to win [the Dubai World Cup] without taking too much out of him, so he’ll have something left for America’. I can’t disagree with him, as I’ve just seen the betting for the first time today and the race doesn’t seem to have much depth… just Asiatic Boy to beat really.

I’ve only just noticed that Ismael (SP?) Mohammed, who had loads of winners last year, has disappeared. Does anyone know why he’s stopped training?

I’m not sure why I think this [or where I heard it] or even if it’s true but I seem to remember that Ishmael Mohammed is concentrating on training pure Arab-bred horses now. I know that Godolphin are for the first time training horses that do not carry the all blue and are training some for the extended Maktoum family [and other owners – like Third Set’s] that would in previous years have been trained by Mohammed. Maybe there is nothing for him to train as Godolphin are now doing it for themselves? If that is the case I should think it’s because Godolphin themselves have had a relatively poor Carnival in recent years and wanted a bit of glory!

• Total Posts 2440

Curlin was very, very impressive.

Won very easily yesterday.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

One thing which is missing from Nad al Sheba is a nice 3m4f chase for horses rated 0-95,

• Total Posts 1688

And that is how we saw the Dubai International Racing Carnival!

Last night was Super Thursday, a glittering prelude to Dubai World Cup night, sponsored by Shadwell Estate. It attracted an incredibly vast amount of international entries, similar to what one would expect on March 29

I have not watched video yet, but from all reports Jalil is now becoming a bombproof character, winning the Maktoum Challenge Round III and likely to join Happy Boy as Godolphin’s charge for the Dubai World Cup.

Asiatic Boy caused a ruckus amongst punters when only managing third in the Burj Nahaar. My only evaluation would be that they’ve prepped him over too much sharp racing and it has impacted him. Won’t caused any fuss when he hits 2000m though.

Britain snatched an unlikely victory in Gower Song, winning the Dubai City of Gold and now on target for the Dubai Sheema Classic alongside those who finished behind her – Quijano, Mourilyan and Oracle West.

Happy for me, Royal Vintage turned the tables on Honour Devil to win the Al Bastakiya – RV will continue to be my selection for the UAE Derby.

Lord Admiral continued to shine in his winning form by holding off Jay Peg to win the Jebel Hatta.

And that, my friends, sadly draws the Dubai International Racing Carnival to a close for another year. Godolphin looks set to clean up the awards with Saeed Bin Suroor and Frankie Dettori well clear in their respective titles.

This thread is done. It’s onwards and upwards to the Dubai World Cup night on March 29.

Viewing 9 posts - 35 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.