The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Stakes 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champion Stakes 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 232 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Nothing fazes Frankel. You only have to look at him doing his roll of honour at the end of his races that he’s a horse that just likes to get on with it.

Of course he’s facing ground softer than he’s previously encountered but if you look right back at his EBF Maiden win, he travelled easily enough and was only pushed out to beat Nathaniel who was throwing the kitchen sink at him.

I’m confident that Frankel will perform in the soft (who knows … he might even relish it!) and show us once again why he’s so damn fantastic!

[b:3a3mff2v]COME ON FRANKEL![/color:3a3mff2v][/b:3a3mff2v][/size:3a3mff2v] :D

• Total Posts 1533

If you took out Frankel and put So You Think and Snow Fairy in they’d probably head the betting if they were in top top shape.

Have you really got so little idea. So You Think and Snow Fairy just wouldn’t run on this ground but hypothetically Cirrus Des Aigles would be a very short price to wipe the floor with them.

Cirrus Des Aigles is arguably the second best horse around and running on his favoured ground. Frankel for all the superlatives is unproven on the ground and connections clearly have more than a ‘tiny concern’ about conditions. Yes, he may still trounce the opposition but that belief involves a large amount of guesswork for which you are getting a very short price. He was still backed at short odds in his previous races – he isn’t this time for good reason.

So you can speak hypothetically but I cant?Fool!!! .Can’t you debate without being downright rude?

I was talking hypothetically which any half intellegent person would realise so the ground would also be hypothetical/normal. My point was if they 3 met again under the same circumstances the French horse wouldn’t be fav to beat them let alone be a danger to Frankel as Ginge seems to think is likely or he just likes throwing money away.

Both So You Think and Snow Fairy were on losing streaks when they met Cirrus last year plus they both had a hard race in the Arc just before.

At that time no one on the planet was saying Cirrus was the best or second best in Europe which was reflected in the betting when he went of at an unfancied 12/1.

He then beat St Nicholas Abbey a neck at level weights which makes him decent but the 2nd best in the world? Never in a month of Sundays. He’s a neck better than St Nicholas Abbey and that’s exactly how good he is. He has an advantage of soft ground because it doesn’t slow him down as much as it does others but that to me says he’s too highly rated as most top races are run on good ground and he’s never there.

At the end of the day it’s horse racing and anything can happen but trying to imagine anything over the past 40 years beating Frankel at level weights is hard enough never mind some present day overrated French mudlark.

• Total Posts 1533

Nothing fazes Frankel. You only have to look at him doing his roll of honour at the end of his races that he’s a horse that just likes to get on with it.

Of course he’s facing ground softer than he’s previously encountered but if you look right back at his EBF Maiden win, he travelled easily enough and was only pushed out to beat Nathaniel who was throwing the kitchen sink at him.

I’m confident that Frankel will perform in the soft (who knows … he might even relish it!) and show us once again why he’s so damn fantastic!

[b:1m5qxndn]COME ON FRANKEL![/color:1m5qxndn][/b:1m5qxndn][/size:1m5qxndn] :D

That’s what I like to see a post full of optimism :wink:

Wouldn’t it be fitting if Nathaniel was 2nd and Frankel won ending his career on the same note as he started it?………with a street length between them of course.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

He then beat St Nicholas Abbey a neck at level weights which makes him decent but the 2nd best in the world? Never in a month of Sundays. He’s a neck better than St Nicholas Abbey and that’s exactly how good he is.

Maybe you’re right HGM. However, plenty of people thought Joseph messed up in Dubai, and that St Nic was unlucky. To be honest I take a different view. Cirrus Des Aigles was plenty handy that day which i think didn’t see him to best effect. He’s better in mid division when he can be pulled out with something to aim at. I remember after that race Peslier said that he’s better over 10 furlongs when he can settled further back in the pack, however the pace was slow that day which is why he had him racing handy. All summer I was banging on about how if one horse can beat Frankel it was St Nic but I hold my hands up as he’s not as good as I thought he could be. I reckon you could run that Dubai race again ten times and Cirrus had the beating of him whatever way they ran the race. And you seem to forget that Cirrus also had a hard race before last year’s Champions Stakes. I don’t think you’re giving the horse the credit he deserves, maybe you think he doesn’t have the balls for top class group one’s?

Hope Frankel wins for Sir Henry :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Wouldn’t it be fitting if Nathaniel was 2nd and Frankel won ending his career on the same note as he started it?………with a street length between them of course.

Now that would a spookily splendid twist being so close to Halloween but as you say, a fitting end that’d bring a smile to so many faces. I hope that happens :lol:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Just as we set off and for the last time – come on FRANKEL!!!!!!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

We know that Cirrus is no superstar. He beat So You Think well in this race last year but SYT may have very well ran a bit below form and you can argue that through Snow Fairy. Snow Fairy was held up and never had a proper shot at Cirrus in the race, she would’ve gotten close and may even have won. Cirrus had all favors when scraping in from St Nicholas Abbey in Dubai, he was outsprinted by Golden Lilac, outsprinted in Hong Kong, Sarafina made him look silly in a sit-sprint, Byword received 4 pounds and beat him last year. Rajsaman essentially matched him in last year’s Prix D’Ispahan and the capable but mercurial Planteur did the same in this year’s edition.

Cirrus needs to race himself into form so he’s a length or two below his best in some races. But on normal ground he’s just a good very durable top class horse with plenty of competitors who can match him. In particular he’s very beatable in very slow-run fast ground races. But he seems especially hard-to-beat on heavy ground which is why he’s interesting for this

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

May the force be with you Joni :mrgreen:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I think Frankel will either get beat (as I dreamt some weeks ago) or will win by a fair way.

Just for the crack I will have a fun bet at 10 lengths or more winning margin at 8/1 (William Hill)

Matt Chapman said Frankel has enormous feet and will handle the ground no problem and he’s never wrong ;)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Fell out the stalls, never appeared to travel, didn’t seem himself to me, yet still won. Champion :D

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

Well the race choked me up and Henry Cecil’s interview was overwhelming.

What a truly humbling spectacle.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

the bbc love-in was a bit sickening at times. but there’s no getting away from another brilliant perfomance from a real champion.

henry says he’s the best he’s ever seen, then that’s good enough for me. although I hate to compare different generations.

while I would love to have seen frankel in the breeders cup, or in the arc next year, the fact that he’s been retired to stud means we can look forward to seeing his progeny on the racecourse in the near future, and what a prospect that is.

imagine galileo/sea the stars/frankel progeny facing off against each other 8)

• Total Posts 433

Well the race choked me up and Henry Cecil’s interview was overwhelming.

What a truly humbling spectacle.

Too true. Good luck to Frankel, hope he has a long and illustrious career at stud. I’m going to miss him :(

MrUnoHugh
    • Total Posts 146

Today proved nothing could beat him or nothing would ever beat him, he is unbeatable and there has or never will be anything that could step onto the same field as him and give him a horse race.

Lost for words, his body needs to be preserved in 30+ years time and put in the Newmarket Museum because of how he’s about 100-200 years ahead of the breed it’s got the country lost for words.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

As a betting medium it’s been ruined by only 6 runners, but who cares about betting with a horse like this?

And a few hours later it is a different story?

When I made the first statement Stilvi, As I told Fist immediately after Cirrus’s run on Arc day; I was hoping to back Cirrus Des Aigles each way first three, expecting around 9/2. Something I regarded as a "free" win bet. At 1/4 odds getting back what I’d put on if placed second or third. Just couldn’t see him unplaced. However, with only 6 runners it bacame only first two places. So with Nathaniel in there the French horse wasn’t guaranteed a place. Hence my disappointment. Which is why I said "As a betting medium it’s been ruined by only 6 runners". However, when I saw 6/1 and 19/1 (win only) on Betfair – they might not have been "guaranteed" to get my money back… But "value" nevertheless so had the bets. Not that it did me any good. :lol:

I said "but who cares about betting with a horse like this"? Because even if anyone backed against Frankel I’d hope they’d still be cheering the great horse on; as I was.

Value Is Everything
    Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Monster run by Cirrus Des Aigles. He really does handle these conditions superbly and I suspect under unraceable conditions he might have actually prevailed. Frankel couldn’t explode like he usually does on the ground but didn’t need to to win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

With Frankel (comparitively) struggling to get home today with the added test of stamina soft ground gave – hopefully people realise now why he didn’t tackle 1m4f in the Arc. Thankfully it wasn’t heavy today.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 232 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.