The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Hurdle 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ascot Hurdle 2007

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think the 3-1 Hardy is a decent bet

Nice one Clivex!
    Maybe those who thought he was over the hill may also have to revise their views about the horse who hammered him in this year’s Champion Hurdle. :)

Gutted by Detroit City’s fatal tumble.
    Didn’t seem a hard fall, but the horse was obviously in distress, and I spent much of the race praying they would jump them all which would have meant he’d got up. :cry:
    RIP, brave fella.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"Gutted by Detroit City’s fatal tumble.
    Didn’t seem a hard fall, but the horse was obviously in distress, and I spent much of the race praying they would jump them all which would have meant he’d got up.
    RIP, brave fella."

Ditto.

Colin

• Total Posts 2440

I take it he was put to sleep rather than actually died from his fall because the BBC said that he died as a result of his fall. But it seemed that he was trying to get back up.

purr
    • Total Posts 13

He was struggling to get up but the way his legs were moving it didn’t look like he was going to make it. I feared the worst, and then when the screens were up on the next circuit knew what had happened.

It looked to me as if he had injured his back in some way.

Participant
    • Total Posts 111

Very very sad day. As the RP says " RACING suffered the grievous loss on Saturday of one its star players in Detroit City " R.I.P fella

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Thanks Reet…but i would give it all back to see the lovely DC run again :(

• Total Posts 90

It was sad to see Detroit struggling to get back to his feet and fail :(

We’ll never know what would have happened at the business end of the race now! As for the finish, great battle between Hardy Eustace and Afsoun. Hardy never gave up and Afsoun tried his hardest as well, although being a bit keen may have cost him the race? Wichita Lineman was a bit outpaced where it mattered, but I’m sure he will be a force in the staying division this season.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

R.I.P. Detroit City. Life isn’t fair sometimes but you just have to get on with it. Such a shame I’m sure we’ll all remember the joys he’s given us over the last couple of years.

In terms of the race Hardy is tough as old boots I knew he’d wear down Afsoun even if he didn’t seem to be going as well.

First leg of a massive double for me, my most profitable day ever by a long way so I’m doubly glad he won.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It appears the post mortem shows he suffered a ruptured valve in the right side of his heart.

Not sure if it was caused by the fall or if it caused the fall – I’m sure it will come out in due course.

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

We’ll never know what would have happened at the business end of the race now! As for the finish, great battle between Hardy Eustace and Afsoun. Hardy never gave up and Afsoun tried his hardest as well, although being a bit keen may have cost him the race? Wichita Lineman was a bit outpaced where it mattered, but I’m sure he will be a force in the staying division this season.

Rishi was at his best after the race claiming that Mick Fitz had thrown the kitchen sink at Afsoun seemingly oblivious to the fact that he’d dropped his whip some time after the last. Don’t know whether that would have changed the result though.

Very sad to see DC stricken, the course vet said on the RP that the horse had died by the time he’d got there and had suffered an injury to his neck. RIP

martin day
    • Total Posts 16

what a sad day i thought he was going to bounce back today from the last two races he had, how horrible to see him fall and look so distressed it says on the racing post site he died instantly but im sure he was put to sleep

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

marb im sorry but your talking rubbish. there was no way you could say from teh first 2 flights of hurdles whether detroit city would have won or lost. He never has been a hard pulling horse, infact a lazy one! i thought he looked more enthusiastic than normal to be honest!
    Plus even if he had finished last he wouldnt have been retired, he was 5!
    they would have tried fences, and if that didnt work a change of yard etc etc.
    Anyway this doesnt matter now coz he is gone, but i would like to say what a great owner terry warner is, always caring about his horses, he doesnt over race them, isnt greedy and doesnt like to run them over fences incase they fall! Lets hope you can find another great grey!

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

Davidjohnson, has terry brought the grey berry then?

Also the RP site says detroit died from a ruptured valve in his heart

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

If Mottershead or any sugar coated hack makes a comment that Detroit died of a broken heart and so did his supporters I will personally ram their entire paper down their necks.

RIP DC. A horse I never entirely loved, but proved me wrong so many times.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Really lovely horse. To see him bounding up the hill in the Triumph was fantastic. A big loss.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

marb im sorry but your talking rubbish. there was no way you could say from teh first 2 flights of hurdles whether detroit city would have won or lost. He never has been a hard pulling horse, infact a lazy one! i thought he looked more enthusiastic than normal to be honest!
    Plus even if he had finished last he wouldnt have been retired, he was 5!
    they would have tried fences, and if that didnt work a change of yard etc etc.
    Anyway this doesnt matter now coz he is gone, but i would like to say what a great owner terry warner is, always caring about his horses, he doesnt over race them, isnt greedy and doesnt like to run them over fences incase they fall! Lets hope you can find another great grey!

Dave,

Please don’t be too quick to rubbish other people’s thoughts. As you say, it’s all irrelevant now, but connections of DC did say just a few weeks ago that if the horse didn’t show his old zest, he would be retired to the field – makings Marb’s comments no so rubbish.

Mike

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.