The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The 5 men better than McCoy

Home Forums Horse Racing The 5 men better than McCoy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Pricewise a.k.a Tom Segal said on the Morning Line that he wouldn’t have McCoy in his top 5 of chase jockeys.

In that case who are the 5 ahead of him? Walsh is a fairly clear selection but who are the other 4?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

On current form Geraghty is another.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Choc Thornton and Brennan to add to the above two?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Yes it’s hard to know. Barry Berathy, Ruby Walsh, Paddy Brennan, Robert Thornton, Paddy Flood. It’s all about opinions and all i know is AP is one of the best jockeys of all time. Who am i to judge?… :wink:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I wonder if S.Thomas would be in the Segal list?

• Total Posts 638

Previously (a couple or three years ago), Tom mentioned Andrew Thornton as amongst the very best jockeys for a 3 mile chaser.

• Total Posts 1511

Ruby Walsh
    Barry G
    Paul Townend
    Paddy Flood
    Denis O Reagan
    Paddy Brennan

that just for Denman…i could think of Timmy Murphy/Paul Carberry too.

Choc for me hasnt done the business but is a top man on his day

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Noel Fehily a surprising omission.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Who cares?
    Tom sounded clueless on the morning line, didn’t even have the Wichita Lineman ride in the running for ride of the year, preferring some anonymous Ruby Walsh ride :shock:

• Total Posts 1415

Who cares?
    Tom sounded clueless on the morning line, didn’t even have the Wichita Lineman ride in the running for ride of the year, preferring some anonymous Ruby Walsh ride :shock:

I disagree. A good ride isn’t all about pushing and shoving. McCoy will always catch the eye and its a British thing – effort and committment. Look at a football fan often the first thing they mention when their team loses is "a lack of passion". Mosly that isn’t the cause. A good central defender is often the one that isn’t making the last ditch challenges because his positional sense and his mind often prevent him needing to resort to such a drastic measure.

The riding of a horse is similar its as much about feel, presentation and transmitting confidence as it is driving the a**e off it.

Ruby’s ride on Cooldine was a very good ride though I do also appreciate McCoy’s ride on the notoriously difficult Wichita Lineman who was a horse tailor made for McCoy.

• Total Posts 1982

Can’t say I watched TML on Saturday.

I have stated that McCoy isn’t the most suitable jockey for Denman, but it sounds like Tom just plucked these numbers from nowhere.

Did he say who his ‘4 or 5’ would be? If he was going to make such a bold statement, he should have supported this view and said who these guys are.

I said that Barry Geraghty would have been my first choice (with Ruby on Kauto) for Denman. The only other suitable guy I can think of would be Davy Russell.

I would also agree about the inclusion of Paddy Brennan in the ‘list’, but that’s about it.

McCoy is still one of the best around. These sort of threads can come back and bite you on the a@@.

• Total Posts 2440

What an absolute insult to McCoy.

Did Segal comment on how many winners the others had had? ? ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Walsh and Geraghty are the two I currently follow most, but that it is probably due to the added fact that they seem to ride the better class horses than most other jockeys – including Tony McCoy.

I would question whether there are five better NH jockeys than AP. His ride on Denman has been highlighted as yet another example of his failing powers in the saddle, yet I’m quite sure were he given the chance to ride the bulk of Walsh’s or Geraghty’s mounts tomorrow, his win rate would increase dramatically.

Tom Segal is one of those racing journalists who likes to see himself as slightly different from the rest, in so much that, as Pricewise, he sees it as his duty to take an alternative view of things, if you like. :roll:

Private Be or not to be? Luckily, common sense and sound rational thinking prevailed once more, and I chose the latter option. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Tom Segal made himself look stupid suggesting he could pick 5 better jockeys on a chaser than A,P McCoy! Mind you he made one of his rare errors putting up Private Be yesterday,on a day where he was getting maximum publicity!It was the Hobbs factor that cost him dear,he fell hook line and sinker!Anyone who knows their racing,knows AP is a genius who made what i call a "human error" on Denman,we all make mistakes!Anyway i notice

Choc Thornton

has landed the ride on Somersby,time to snaffle the 14/1 about him being top jockey me thinks! What with Twist Magic,Medermit,Somersby etc he could give Ruby a run for his money!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Noel Fehily a surprising omission.

Don’t tell everyone gumshield.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

How many better-than-fair chasers does McCoy actually get on these days? The answer is not very many, and very few in comparison to Walsh. And arguably he gets on less than Thornton, Brennan and Geraghty too.

Is McCoy losing it, or is he simply being made to look bad through a seemingly never-ending succession of marginal animals? I strongly suspect it is the latter.

For my money, McCoy is the the only jockey who regularly gets undeserving horses into the winners enclosure. The suggestion that his talent is regressing (regardless of what he is riding) seems groundless to me, on the evidence of the racing I’ve watched this season.

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Tom Segal is one of those racing journalists who likes to see himself as slightly different from the rest, in so much that, as Pricewise, he sees it as his duty to take an alternative view of things, if you like.

That’s true, but it’s surely one of his strengths. Deliberately betting against the crowd is an approach followed by many successful punters, and Segal’s record speaks for itself. I don’t always agree with his logic, and couldn’t have Private Be at all (though I’ve also not fancied several of his winners lately), but it’s impossible to argue with his excellent record.

And if Segal rattles a few cages with the odd controversial dig at the game’s sacred cows, all the better. More than any other sport, racing is about opinions, about putting your money where your mouth is. Segal does so, and entertainingly too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.