The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Terrible Christmas for Nicholls

Home Forums Horse Racing Terrible Christmas for Nicholls

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

Never heard his name mentioned both days, horses ran like yaks, ‘Favorito Bucks’ was too bad to be true, is it really going that wrong for Nicholl’s, or has the Karma Bus just drawn up outside Ditcheat. Either way, i’ve never seen him have a run of dire luck like this. I’ve posted about the lack of buying power with Tom Malone and not Highflyer and Twiston Davies not being top notch in the schooling ranks like Walsh, but he has nothing in the running for the top races at Cheltenham. Its time he stepped forward and said something, he’s always had plenty to say in the past.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

The only Nicholls this will be a good Christmas for is Nichols Canyon!!
    His horses are running awful and I hope the blame for that won’t be left at Sam twiston davies’ door. He just doesn’t seem to get the top class young horses because Mullins is a better judge when it comes to buying them it appears

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Somewhat sneering posts based on not a lot

He’s top of trainers table and I think the real story is hendersons collapse to ninth. I like Nicky but he’s having a very lean time.

As for “saying something”. Like what exactly?

Can’t pick young horses? Think past record somewhat blows that comment away. Just a bit.

For me there is no better trained of jumpers. No trainer comes close to his repeated ability to keep them at top of game and bring them back after setbacks. That to me sets him apart from the rest

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

Where did I say he couldn’t pick young horses. I said ‘lack of buying power’ quite different.

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 611

Clearly they agree this from the RP
    Derham wrote: “Following a really happy and satisfying Christmas day, sadly [the] hasn’t been a great deal of subsequent Christmas cheer at Ditcheat.

“For reasons we haven’t yet found, the majority of our horses are performing at a level lower than expected, something which is giving us plenty to ponder.

“The frustrating thing is that, although some are running below par, as a group they look fantastic and nothing obvious is coming to light.”

He added: “On the back of a season beyond anyone’s wildest dreams things were always going to be difficult to reproduce, but rest assured we are all doing our absolute best to make sure the horses will return to form before long.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

…or has the Karma Bus just drawn up outside Ditcheat.

Nominations for those aboard that bus?

Sam Thomas
    Daryl Jacob
    Clive Smith
    ?

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Welcome acknowledgment from Derham anyway. I like the thought of the karma bus but not sure those mentioned would have a lot to crow about

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 611

Again today his horses just did not seem to finish when looking winners

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

From Today’s RP

CHAMPION TRAINER Paul Nicholls on Tuesday said there was no cause for alarm about the recent form of his team as he continued through the Christmas holiday without a victory to his name.
    Nicholls said there is nothing wrong with the health of his stable and he is confident fortunes will improve in the near future after going winless at Kempton’s two-day festive fixture for the first time since 2004.
    The stable, which had four seconds at Newbury on Tuesday, sent out its last winner on December 19, though Nicholls remains £200,000 clear of his nearest rival Philip Hobbs in the trainers’ championship, with more than £1 million in prize-money for the campaign, and is 1-3 with bet365 and Betfred to retain his crown.
    ‘Just a quiet spell’
    “Everyone expects us to be winning all the time and we can’t always be winning,” said Nicholls.
    “Nothing is wrong and I’m top of the trainers’ table. We’re just having one of those quiet spells.
    “I didn’t have a winner at Kempton this year, but in the last ten years there I’ve won seven King Georges. I just haven’t quite got some of those horses.
    “I just smile to myself that I’ve been very lucky to have had a brilliant time at those big meetings.”
    2012-13 17 66 26%
    2013-14 20 92 22%
    2014-15 19 80 24%
    2015-16 9 90 10%
    Nicholls’ nephew and pupil assistant Harry Derham on Monday highlighted some concern over the yard’s form in his blog.
    He wrote: “For reasons we haven’t yet found, the majority of our horses are performing at a level lower than expected, something which is giving us plenty to ponder.
    “The frustrating thing is that although some are running below par, as a group they look fantastic and nothing obvious is coming to light.”

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Modus just beaten comfortably

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Bad ground at Taunton but Lifeboat Mona stopped to nothing

wasps41
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1161

Has Nicholls turned the corner ?

5 winners in 2016

Shall be taking a close look at his runners tomorrow

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Modus just beaten comfortably

Didn’t do his Betfair Hurdle weight any harm. 😉

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Has Nicholls turned the corner ?

5 winners in 2016

Shall be taking a close look at his runners tomorrow

In good form now. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 650

You saw before Christmas how Reb Curtis’s team were affected by a bad batch of feed – knocked them out for 6 weeks, but they’ve got over it quick enough.

Wouldn’t be surprised if something similar has happened down at Ditcheat.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

You saw before Christmas how Reb Curtis’s team were affected by a bad batch of feed – knocked them out for 6 weeks, but they’ve got over it quick enough.

Wouldn’t be surprised if something similar has happened down at Ditcheat.

Same thing has happened to Jackdaw’s Castle.

Think people tend to search for reasons of terminal decline when it’s just either poor batch of feed or a virus. Although Jonjo’s form seems to dip in the Winter and come good in the Spring. Can’t remember where I heard it from but someone said it could be something to do with the valley/weather conditions at Jackdaw’s.

Trainers in and out of form is a great help to punters. Doesn’t really matter why they are in or out of form, just enough to know they are. Do believe the Nicholls yard wasn’t quite right, quite a few moving well through the race without finding as much as seemed likely. However, Nicholls wasn’t in quite as bad form as his win strike rate made out. In that time his place SR being better than his average place SR. Also, Nicholls tends to go through a short lean spell in January and it’s possible this came sooner than usual.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Somewhat sneering posts based on not a lot

He’s top of trainers table and I think the real story is hendersons collapse to ninth. I like Nicky but he’s having a very lean time.

As for “saying something”. Like what exactly?

Can’t pick young horses? Think past record somewhat blows that comment away. Just a bit.

For me there is no better trained of jumpers. No trainer comes close to his repeated ability to keep them at top of game and bring them back after setbacks. That to me sets him apart from the rest

Henderson had 32 runners in December – 69 and 86 the two previous seasons

The lack of handicap chasers in the yard is a joke, really, and they’ve won only 11 chases all season and it’s not a recent problem. Lack of planning seems to be an issue since the days when Spinter Sacre, Bobs Worth, Riverside Theatre, Finian’s Rainbow etc were consistently winning big races

He’s my favourite trainer so i’d be much happier to see him winning more races – one big weekend at Ascot recently with over 200k on offer in three races and he had one runner.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.