The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ten To The Dozen

Home Forums Horse Racing Ten To The Dozen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nikaglen
    • Total Posts 3

The wife when to the horse auction in Carlisle the other week to buy a pony for the grandchildren but came back with two 16.2 thoroughbreds :shock: A German Warmblood jumper that is from Rubicell out of Rubistien II and a 6 year old racehorse called Ten To The Dozen out of Royal Applause. After checking the form on this one it turns out to have won 3 and placed 7 so we sent him straight off to a trainer and he will be back running in January 2010 so keep an eye open for this one as he is a beauty.

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Good luck with him! Keep us posted :-)

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

3 wins and 8 places from 36 runs on the flat including AW, though it seems he prefers turf and GS going as his 3 wins have come on GS or G with rain, probably goes on anything from GS to GF but looks like he doesn’t want extremes of going

Been almost exclusively run over 7-8f and being out of a sprinter by Royal Applause it doesn’t look encouraging that he will stay further or make a NH horse, Royal Applause has had a few jumps winners but they have mostly been out of stayers, the exceptions being The Bonus King, Nifty Roy and Royal Master who were out of sprinters.

One race this year in January where he placed and more or less ran to form so his handicap mark at the time of 48 probably won’t be altered much, might get to start off 45-46 if he gets dropped a couple.

So, and this is what fascinates me about racehorse ownership, it’s almost a given that this horse doesn’t have a future over jumps and will never earn back his training fees in prize money, indeed his total career prize money wouldn’t cover a years training fees, so why do it?

I’m not knocking it and wish I could but if the horse stays sound on past form you’ll get maybe a dozen races out of him at the lowest level next year and he’ll probably place in a couple and just might even win one.

The bookies like him and generally let him go off at about 5/1-6/1 though they did let him go at 16s for one of his wins but how could you get enough money back to cover the bills from a couple of places at 5/1ish?

These sort of horses may be the bread and butter of standard racing and being loss leaders they show how it’s love not money that mostly keeps the sport going, in my opinion.

I must be strange, I find this sort of thing interesting and am sure I’m missing something.

nikaglen
    • Total Posts 3

Hi SBerry
    Thank you for your view on Ted. The wife was going to just use him as a Hack and it was a strange feeling after seeing him in the field (that I had just had seeded!!!) and looking at footage on the internet of his wins, I thought it would be a waste not to let him run again.
    I truly agree looking at his form he is a short sprinter and I am new to this side of the sport but it would be like seeing your son win his first school race and your right it is not for the money but I think maybe the feeling of being the proud owner of such a lovely horse and the thought that he could do well in the future.
    Lets see what the trainer (D W Thompson who has Leopold at the moment) can do with him on the jumps. In the mean time I have to finish building the stables! Though a pony would have been easier to deal with I am looking forward to seeing him run round the gallops when we go over to see him this weekend.
    Thanks for all your support and any advice is always welcome.

nikaglen
    • Total Posts 3

Yeh. :lol: So we wont be taking him to Dubai when we go in January 8)

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Hi SBerry
    Thank you for your view on Ted. The wife was going to just use him as a Hack and it was a strange feeling after seeing him in the field (that I had just had seeded!!!) and looking at footage on the internet of his wins, I thought it would be a waste not to let him run again.
    I truly agree looking at his form he is a short sprinter and I am new to this side of the sport but it would be like seeing your son win his first school race and your right it is not for the money but I think maybe the feeling of being the proud owner of such a lovely horse and the thought that he could do well in the future.
    Lets see what the trainer (D W Thompson who has Leopold at the moment) can do with him on the jumps. In the mean time I have to finish building the stables! Though a pony would have been easier to deal with I am looking forward to seeing him run round the gallops when we go over to see him this weekend.
    Thanks for all your support and any advice is always welcome.

I assume he’s in it for the fun and excitement like most owners.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Good luck with the horse Nik, I’ll add it to my list of ones to follow, you never know it could be another rare Royal Applause horse out of a sprinter that will win a jumps race, that’s the beauty of hope. If he’s being trained for hurdles then you could have fun over flat and jumps next year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.