The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tech Eagle

Home Forums Memorials Tech Eagle

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Broke down in the second race at Huntingdon

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

Was he actually put down? No mention of such in Racing Post analysis …

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Yes he was, unfortunately.

Not sure why it was not in the RP analysis – they were aware.

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

That’s sad – he did look as though the injury was pretty serious.

Thank you for the information. Racing UK didn’t even mention him being pulled up. No mention when the fence was omitted either – although Tech Eagle was clearly standing in front of it – why where the screens by the opposite wing to where the horse was? No mention when the results were given following the replay either. It is VERY annoying when info is not given even though they MUST have it …

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

That’s sad – he did look as though the injury was pretty serious.

Thank you for the information. Racing UK didn’t even mention him being pulled up. No mention when the fence was omitted either – although Tech Eagle was clearly standing in front of it – why where the screens by the opposite wing to where the horse was? No mention when the results were given following the replay either. It is VERY annoying when info is not given even though they MUST have it …

I have to say from the stands it initially looked to be a "refused" because the horse was shielded by the fence.

I think many missed the original incident, including Tommo.

Regarding the screens – more screens went up after the race. The reason only the side wing had the screens up initially was the family enclosure was open so it was to shield the horse from those in the family enclosure.

From the stands, because the horse was so close to the fence only his neck and head could be seen, so there wasn’t an immdeiate need to put the screens up.

Do not assume the Press have the information – whilst some courses do provide updates, quite often you have to ask and there is not always time, especially if the race has a large field, plenty of incident or there is only a 30 minute gap between races.

Depending on the course layout and who the judge is – they will often confirm the outcome for us.

For example with Paradi’s fall at Cartmel – even when I asked the stipe about both horse and rider 45 minutes later he had to go and find out the info for me. Obviously when I am reporting on a race I will only report a fatality if I am 100% certain.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

This isn’t unusual. There have been a number of occasions recently where I have inferred that a horse has been put down from the action taking place around the screens. It’s sad to say it, but as a general rule if the horse ambulance attends it’s treatable, if the unmarked van appears the animal has been put down.

Even then I miss some and I had dismissed one of David Parry’s horses Pakineo Des Pictons as ‘disappointing again’ only to hear from David sometime later that the horse had broken a leg and been put down.

There used to be a list of ‘Scratchings’ published every week giving a list of dead horses, but that seems to have been dispensed with these days. It was blunt, but informative.

Rob

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

On the approach to the fence he could be seen to have something go wrong in the leg area and the jockey was trying hard to pull up.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Depending on the course layout and who the judge is – they will often confirm the outcome for us.

For example with Paradi’s fall at Cartmel – even when I asked the stipe about both horse and rider 45 minutes later he had to go and find out the info for me. Obviously when I am reporting on a race I will only report a fatality if I am 100% certain.

Conversely, I have presided over Uttoxeter’s last three meetings, and the losses of both Prince Vector and Rio De Janeiro at two of these were piped to me before the next race on each occasion.

Course, judge and willingness of officials to confirm at last when the worst has happened will all have a bearing on matters. So, too, I imagine, will be the nature of the fatality – the horses I mentioned suffered a heart attack and a broken neck respectively, so their fates were sadly immediately, emphatically obvious.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Not sure if his foot went down a hole.

That is an interesting comment.

You may have noticed in the 7:50 that Sir Liam "fell" on the flat down the back straight. When we watched the replays from several angles it was hard to see why he fell.

It later transpired from the Stewards report that he put his foot in a "rabbit run" and this led to the fall.

Both horse and rider were OK in this instance.

It does surprise me we don’t get more falls due to such occurrences.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.