The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Swing Bill

Home Forums Memorials Swing Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Very sad to hear of the loss of the wonderful Swing Bill. Wish you could have had a longer retirement. Sleep tight.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

That’s sad news. Do you know what happened to him?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

He perished from colic, I’m given to understand.

The very definition of safe as houses, he’d been a very welcome presence in Point-to-Points for trainer Sarah Stafford this last season, and although not a winner of any of his contests in that sphere the confidence he’d given the returning amputee rider Guy Disney in three completions between the flags isn’t to be dismissed lightly.

What an exhibition he’d put up around the ancient Pointing track at Upton-on-Severn (the oldest still in continuous use now) just before Easter, when making most of the running on horrid, holding ground only to be mastered between the last two by former dual Grade 2-winning Donnas Palm. It would prove to be the closest he came to recording a final career victory.

Rest easy, old boy.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Colic. Have only just heard this. Brave, beautiful, genuine Bill; the ultimate ‘garden horse’.I was SO relieved when you retired unscathed. You didn’t deserve this. RIP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Crossed posts gc. Good to hear of his exploits in the pointing field, though.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Absolutely devastated to see his name – reduced me to tears. An admirable horse. I didn’t even know he’d retired, although he hadn’t really completely I suppose if he was pointing. He was so reliable and such a good jumper – seemed to enjoy it. I so hope he was loved by the people close to him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Only time he ever fell was in his first hurdle race. This is a real sickener.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.