The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Swain

Home Forums Memorials Swain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1975

I only learned the other day that he was still alive and was surprised. Now he sadly isn’t. 30 is a fine old age though. R.I.P.
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/godolphin-superstar-and-dual-king-george-hero-swain-dies-at-the-age-of-30/570901

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2725

What a wonderful warrior- he won two top-class King Georges, beating Pilsudski, Helissio and Singspiel in 1997 and High-Rise, Royal Anthem and Daylami the following year.

At least he had a long and, I’m sure, very happy retirement. R.I.P. Swain.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13844

I also didn’t realise he was still with us and it’s sad on learning that to also hear of his death.
    What a wonderful long and full life he had to the great age of 30.
    R.I.P Swain

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2527

The same with me, Jac. What a fantastic horse he was. I’d dare to say he was one of their top three horses ever along with Sakhee and Fantastic Light.

He ran against the best horses around and was unsuited by the Longchamp soft ground otherwise he might have won an Arc as well.

May he rest in peace.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2725

@Ruby:

“he was one of their top three horses ever along with Sakhee and Fantastic Light.”

Have you forgotten Dubai Millennium or (like me) do think that he was overrated?

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2527

@Glad: How could I forget Dubai Millennium? I just felt that he was a few decent G1 wins away from achieving what they expected from him. The QEII and the Royal Ascot wins as well as the Dubai World Cup were pretty impressive performances, but the 2nd placed horses like Behrens or Sumitas never came even close of winning a race again.
    I enjoyed those races Swain ran in against the likes of Singspiel, Pilsudski, Shantou Helissio, Lammtarra.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.