The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Surely they should call the rest of the card off.

Home Forums Horse Racing Surely they should call the rest of the card off.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1604

Shocking conditions at Punchestown. More like a swamp than a racecourse.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this because I certainly haven’t.

okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

It’ll be on youtube, how not to race horses

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

If allowed to race at Laytown why not Punchestown?

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

It’s odds-on that Alastair Down will declare at some point that conditions are more like a scene from the Battle of the Somme.
    He usually comes out with it at times like this.
    My other favourite of his is when he describes some seemingly doomed and hopeless task as being like the Retreat from Moscow.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Ridiculous conditions! Should have been abandoned.

Having said that, I am amazed how many horses seem to be ploughing through it fairly ok. You would expect carnage in that ground but I don’t think there’s been more fallers than you would have got anyway, possibly less due to slower running.

A quick "Thank You" to the Horse Gods for saving young Fahamore :D Really did think we’d kissed him goodbye but he only had his foot through the reins! Whew! :D

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1604

Given how many iffy jumps and slips on landing there have been, it’s out of sheer luck that there haven’t been any serious injuries (that I’ve seen).

I wonder how many of the young and very promising horses on show today will have been somewhat damaged by today’s exertions?

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

2001 Grand National (Red Marauder) anyone?

Ridiculous conditions! Should have been abandoned.

Having said that, I am amazed how many horses seem to be ploughing through it fairly ok. You would expect carnage in that ground but I don’t think there’s been more fallers than you would have got anyway, possibly less due to slower running.

A quick "Thank You" to the Horse Gods for saving young Fahamore :D Really did think we’d kissed him goodbye but he only had his foot through the reins! Whew! :D

I’m no horse or ground expert but I think when it’s wet mud, horses can slosh through it. It’s when it starts to dry out again it becomes glue like.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3093

Think those on track would know best, connections are most unlikely to risk their horses or jockeys their lives if it was dangerous.

The time to worry is during the summer when they overwater flat tracks and produce false ground.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1604

2001 Grand National (Red Marauder) anyone?

I remember that race well and I would say that it was a different kettle of fish entirely.

The ground at Aintree was indeed very heavy but there weren’t any instances of standing water or slippery surfaces.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Isn’t this just referred to as ‘Good, Good-to-Soft in Places’ in Ireland?

Mike

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

It’s when the ground just starts to dry up a little and becomes really glutinous that you need to start worrying about exhausted horses.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Did someone say standing water?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_byjEeCafY
    I was at the track that night, it was pouring rain and they delayed a race at one point for 30 minutes because of lightning. :shock: I’ve seen plenty of sloppy tracks, but that was a swimming pool. Not that it mattered to Russell Road.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Looking forward to seeing At The Races coverage of racing from The Somme today, minus the cancelled chases.
    Didn’t see any of yesterday’s coverage so have set the video for the racing review from yesterday and the Irish angle programme, in the hope of seeing shots of some of the Punchestown ground. Should make interesting viewing.
    It’s certainly very bad luck on Punchestown that they have been hit by all this rain.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Today I’ll be waiting for the commentary that says

"And it’s the brown horse, with the jockey in the brown colours, followed by another brown horse, then some more brown horses….."
    :lol:

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

This is ridiculous. They were splashing through water yesterday and they still think it’s raceable today? I know it’s a big meeting, but surely this is unacceptable. Would Cheltenham or Ascot be racing in such conditions?

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1604

To be fair, it looks a lot better than it did yesterday.

I hope the officials are right about the cross country course though because that place is dangerous enough as it is.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I witnessed a great race today (Quevega) and thankfully racing did go ahead…..if they can race on snow in Sweden they can race in a bit of mud….Only 8 non runners and 4 of them were in a huge field says it all……..they didn’t call it off and neither they should have…..makes you wonder how many meeting have been cancelled in the UK that could easily have gone ahead and revenue wouldn’t have been lost.

BTW those that didn’t run wasn’t because it was thought to be dangerous they simply don’t go on the ground.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.