The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Streets of Gold disqualification

Home Forums Horse Racing Streets of Gold disqualification

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I was at Leopardstown today and had no financial involvement in this race but no matter how often I watch the replay I can’t fathom how they took the race off this horse. Ruby went for a gap, the gap closed, Alan Crowe had his whip in the correct (left) hand and could do little if the horse edged left. He won by half a length and how the stewards could be certain that he’d have won without interference I don’t know. In these days when they’re trying to standardise stewarding across the world this was a poor decision- I very much doubt he’d have lost it in the UK.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

I was at Leopardstown today and had no financial involvement in this race but no matter how often I watch the replay I can’t fathom how they took the race off this horse. Ruby went for a gap, the gap closed, Alan Crowe had his whip in the correct (left) hand and could do little if the horse edged left. He won by half a length and how the stewards could be certain that he’d have won without interference I don’t know. In these days when they’re trying to standardise stewarding across the world this was a poor decision- I very much doubt he’d have lost it in the UK.

Seems a fair assessment carvillshill, maybe the stewards backed Deutschland or the owner was a friend of the stewards. As you say how could anyone be confident he would have won without the interference? Think results like these should be left as they are on the day for betting purposes and any stewards enquiry decided by a central panel the following week.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I can’t believe that Streets of Gold was disqualified (thanks carvillshill!). I backed Deutschland and switched channels before the result of the enquiry because it looked minimal at best. I’m happy financially but a ridiculous decision IMO

Cian
    • Total Posts 81

The one thing that really rags me about this sorry saga is that time and time again things like this happen, judging by the majority comments I’ve seen almost everyone is in accordance that it was a woeful decision and yet nothing will ever be done.

I saw the guy on RTE today talking to two of the bookies and begin by saying that he had a bone to pick. I thought for one second it’d be over their constant shambolic refusals to take on any size of a bet. Fool was I – he rambled on about clashing of race times, something that has nothing to do with either of them.

Racing needs quite a bit of improvement, yet when the stewards take decisions like the one today and the equally dubious Farmer Brown decision some months back, how are any fans supposed to have confidence?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I was, to say the least, surprised by the decision, for all that the second and (particularly) the third are better prospects than the winner. I would have put this down to part of the cut and thrust of competitive racing.You can’t expect them to run on tramlines…

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I backed Deutschland also, I couldn’t believe that he was awarded the race, a poor decision in my opinion. I have seen worse and the result not been amended, poor show by the Irish Stewards.

JohnJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.