The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Straight From The Horse Mouth

Home Forums Lounge Straight From The Horse Mouth

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi all,

Welcome to the brains of horse racing.

If you want an opinion on anything, then please ask.

No doubt I will get to know you all soon,

All the best,

Mike

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Welcome to the forum … I think!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Thanks David.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Welcome to the forum Mikky .. I have a question.

Folk reckon that Kempton AW runs like a dog track, I don’t watch much racing, I’m generally busy eating spam sandwiches and wotnot. There isn’t enough data for me to decide whether this opinion is valid or not, what do you reckon mate .. what’s the word on Kempton, bad PR or is it really small step up from cartoon racing ??

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Thanks David.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Folk reckon that Kempton AW runs like a dog track, I don’t watch much racing, I’m generally busy eating spam sandwiches and wotnot. There isn’t enough data for me to decide whether this opinion is valid or not, what do you reckon mate .. what’s the word on Kempton, bad PR or is it really small step up from cartoon racing ??

Dave,

Thanks for the welcome.

With regards Kempton… Well you have got to give it time really. It’s the newest of the All Weather tracks, and personally I think you have got to give it time.

One thing I will say is that Kempton is a class above Wolverhampton and Southwell with regards to the class of racing, only Lingfield is better (AW Derby etc). Kempton is the first AW track that is right handed also, and if you remember, the first All Weather tracks in England (which were in 1989) were mocked for many years. Now they are used by all the big trainers and are seen as a perfect way of keeping horses on the go all year. Kempton will only grow, as will All Weather Racing.

Mike

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Dave,

Thanks for the welcome.

With regards Kempton… Well you have got to give it time really. It’s the newest of the All Weather tracks, and personally I think you have got to give it time.

One thing I will say is that Kempton is a class above Wolverhampton and Southwell with regards to the class of racing, only Lingfield is better (AW Derby etc). Kempton is the first AW track that is right handed also, and if you remember, the first All Weather tracks in England (which were in 1989) were mocked for many years. Now they are used by all the big trainers and are seen as a perfect way of keeping horses on the go all year. Kempton will only grow, as will All Weather Racing.

Mike

Do you think keeping horses on the go all year is good thing? Surely a horse will perform better if it is given a break during the year?
    Personally I think AW is fine for lower class horses and AW performers but British racing must be strong and maintain its position and performance on the turf.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I think you miss the point slightly.

I dont mean keeping ‘one’ horse on the go all round, I mean keeping ‘flat racing’ on the go al round.

Just look at the recent examples of horses who have been kept on the go on the All Weather – need I say anymore – arguement settled lol.

1. Barshibe – made its debut on AW – then won at Royal Ascot
    2. Silkkwood – won a maided on AW – then won a GRP 2 at RA
    3. Zaham – 1st 3 runs on AW – then won at Royal Ascot (RA)
    4. Boscobel – 1st 3 runs on AW – then won GRP" at RA

What I am trying to say is that AW racing has benefited a lot of stables. It means thtat 2 year olds, who normally wouldnt get a run, suddenly have a chance of getting some experience during the winter once they show signs of maturing. The above examples are perfect examples.

All the best

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i agree MM, there’s too much low quality turf racing and cancelled turf fixtures or cards decimated or turned into lotteries when it rains a bit. tracks like kempton and the new ones coming will be the future of racing here whether anyone likes it or not and the dissenters, like the turf tracks will gradually disappear over the forthcoming decades

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

I think you miss the point slightly.

I dont mean keeping ‘one’ horse on the go all round, I mean keeping ‘flat racing’ on the go al round.

Just look at the recent examples of horses who have been kept on the go on the All Weather – need I say anymore – arguement settled lol.

1. Barshibe – made its debut on AW – then won at Royal Ascot
    2. Silkkwood – won a maided on AW – then won a GRP 2 at RA
    3. Zaham – 1st 3 runs on AW – then won at Royal Ascot (RA)
    4. Boscobel – 1st 3 runs on AW – then won GRP" at RA

What I am trying to say is that AW racing has benefited a lot of stables. It means thtat 2 year olds, who normally wouldnt get a run, suddenly have a chance of getting some experience during the winter once they show signs of maturing. The above examples are perfect examples.

All the best

Mike

Ah that makes more sense.

However, I am concerned about the detrimental effect on stable staff and other racing employees when there is no distinct break in the seasons (see my piece in features).
    I worry that an increase in fixtures, along with the rising popularity on AWT racing, will put so much pressure on stables to perform all year round that eventually the whole setup will snap

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

i agree MM, there’s too much low quality turf racing and cancelled turf fixtures or cards decimated or turned into lotteries when it rains a bit. tracks like kempton and the new ones coming will be the future of racing here whether anyone likes it or not and the dissenters, like the turf tracks will gradually disappear over the forthcoming decades

Yes I agree, AW is no longer the ‘make shift’ meeting for when the turf is rained off – sometimes its the ‘principle’ meeting, like when it hold the AW Derby etc. Lingfied and Kempton hold some top class racing and in a few years time it will be even more popular. Remember, Kempton ditched it’s turf track to go to AW Racing, now that surely is a sing of things to come.

Mike

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Hi all,

Welcome to the brains of horse racing.

If you want an opinion on anything, then please ask.

No doubt I will get to know you all soon,

All the best,

Mike

Welcome Mike

Okay…please can Jim Fix It for me to have your opinion on the Godolphin 3yo Mofarij?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I am concerned about the detrimental effect on stable staff and other racing employees when there is no distinct break in the seasons (see my piece in features).
    I worry that an increase in fixtures, along with the rising popularity on AWT racing, will put so much pressure on stables to perform all year round that eventually the whole setup will snap

I read that piece yesterday, Lekha – it is certainly sturdily enough written, but does it perhaps overlook the likelihood that how busy a racing stable (and with it its staff) can be, week in, week out, is ultimately the reponsibility of the trainer?

Stable staff can only be as busy as they are compelled to be in respect of how many animals in the string are in training at any given time, how many racing engagements they are being given, and so on; and if that workload is being driven by the training maintaining too submissive a relationship with pushy owners, he or she does that to the detriment of all who work under him or her.

It will be noted that Henry Daly’s yard grinds to a near-complete halt during the summer jumping season, with only Vaughan being campaigned to any extent. Time aplenty, therefore, for the factoring in of leave for all stable staff wanting it before the gradual bringing in and retraining of the string begins in earnest.

I would love confirmation of this from anyone on the boards who owns or has owned horses in Daly’s care (or with his mentor Captain Forster previously), but I would be quite surprised if this is not made explicitly clear as part of the deal when an owner first approaches Ludlow’s finest.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.