Stayers Hurdle 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2018 Stayers Hurdle 2018

This topic contains 300 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  moehat 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Sam Spinner is clearly on the up and Supasundae defeated Faugheen but Yanworth looks a bit of a rogue to me.

I’ll give Penhill the chance to finish best and win this one.

Well that was a nice pick me up after Terrefort and I was always hopeful despite Penhill being at the back most of the way. In the end it was closer than I had felt at one stage and the jockey quipped that he probably went two furlongs early.

I had said on another thread that The New One would be likely to fall between two stools and despite the pelters I took from The New One fans,I maintain that the horse just isn’t quite top notch. His win from Ch’Tibello just doesn’t look great shakes now and that wasn’t the first time The New One has won a small field affair. He’ll go down as good but, for me at least, not a great. You can almost set your watch that he gets beat in bigger fields when he is any sort of decent price.

Yanworth is one I passed on after he was beaten by Yorkhill at Cheltenham. Both horses have generally struggled in their attempts to hit the top since, with Yorkhill’s JLT win the only ray of sunshine on the journey.

Delighted with Penhill because he wasn’t nap material by any means. He was just a nice price and I liked the horses he has beaten on his way here. He finished ahead of Presenting Percy, Monalee and Al Boum Photo when second at Punchestown last year and they would have been 1-2-3 in the RSA but for a fall. Ironically,the winner of that Punchestown race, Champagne Classic, has not been seen since. Penhill had also beaten Monalee and today’s third Wholestone in last year’s Albert Bartlett and had Festival form in the bag.

Sam Spinner was skinny enough in the end at 9/4 but I am not sure he would have won anyway. Penhill had come wide travelling ominously well and probably would have taken the Fav anyway.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2412

Forgot to say WD Joe and Steve. I was a bit dubious about whether he would be tough enough so fair play to you. :good:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26327

Yes, well done Steve and Joe and other Penhills.

value is everything
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5709

Nice one, Steve

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

Joe Colliver won’t sleep well tonight. I said to Mrsraymo going out on the final circuit he has to kick on over these three hurdles to get the others at it but he didn’t.
    Indecisive ride which may haunt him for some time!!

Mrsraymo backed the winner though and I backed the third so he ho probably rode a great race for us!!

AndyRAC
    AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 318

There is a saying, “have no regrets” – I reckon Joe Colliver possibly will have regrets; he wasn’t positive enough, for what ever reason that was. But, at no point did he have any of the opposition in trouble…
    One hopes he has learnt something today – and can go forward; I’m sure the horse can win more decent races.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1077

If you look back now on his form with today’s race in mind and where the rivals he has beaten managed to finish today you’d come to the conclusion that perhaps Sam spinner is just not good enough

orabist
    orabist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

I think JC got caught out by overdoing the not wanting to make too much use of SS. In the end he just didn’t go quick enough. A more experienced jockey might have quickened the pace and gradually wound it up with a circuit to go but hey that’s racing. It’s hard to believe he wouldn’t have finished in front of the likes of Colin’s Sister & Wholestone given a decent gallop so I don’t subscribe to the view that he’s form may not have been good enough anyway…..time will tell if the race can be relied upon formwise.

A good jockey doesn't need orders and a bad jockey couldn't carry them out; so it's best not to give them any.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1077

The finishing positions of lami serge, the worlds end, unwimh and lil rockerfella were consistent with their finishing positions behind Sam spinner at ascot.

None of them proved good enough

Zamorston
    Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1101

Thought Simon Rowlands summed the race up pretty well…was a joke of a pace…nearly a hurdle behind the Pertemps final in parts…a slow run race certainly helped the suspect stayers in that ground…surely the key horse to that fact is the 3rd Wholestone who although goes well at Cheltenham doesn’t really see out a true run three mile race?

Jockey inexperience was one of the negatives people were pointing out beforehand though and I think it proved costly to Sam Spinners chances…he needed to go a good clip and make it a proper test…

Watching what Richard Johnson did in the gold cup should show him what he should have done…brought stamina into play to run the finish out of the flashier types…

Hope he gets over it and hope the horse can prove he’s better than that 5th…Simon Rowlands seems to think he could still be the best out of this race going forward..

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5709

Huge credit should go to Jedd O’Keefe and the owners Caron and Paul Chapman for their loyalty to Joe Colliver. Just think, the home of NH hunt racing, a racecourse glittering with historic moments in our sport, can’t even stay loyal to Fred Winter, selling his memory for a few quid in sponsorship.

The ground made this a festival like no other. I wrote in a blog piece that it was highly likely good jockeys would matter more than good horses, and the Stayers proved a classic example. Run the exact same race at the November meeting and Sam Spinner might well have won, because Colliver would have been under much less pressure. Even Russell, one of the coolest festival jocks of all time, completely ballsed up his 2nd ride of the meeting. The stress on jockeys there is immense: judgement, emotions, nerves, all under massive assault before and during the race.

Those who come through time after time are the brilliant or the experienced. Joe Colliver had neither asset to call upon at the time he most needed it.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Degaussed
    Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 566

The finishing positions of lami serge, the worlds end, unwimh and lil rockerfella were consistent with their finishing positions behind Sam spinner at ascot.

Lil Rockerfeller needs good ground, L’ami Serge and Harry likely needed a stronger pace.

orabist
    orabist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

Wexfordman, try looking back at more than one race before casting aspersions on the ability of horses. E.g. UNWIMH beat CS 7l & Wstone 11l at Newbury then beaten 11l by SS at Ascot; both properly run races. Bit unfair I feel to crab SS on the back of one uninspired ride. I’m not saying Penhii wouldn’t have won anyway I just feel the form isn’t worth a hill of beans.

A good jockey doesn't need orders and a bad jockey couldn't carry them out; so it's best not to give them any.

Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

I would add that The Worlds End surely would have been better on better ground too. Backed it antepost myself and had given up hope before the off due to the going.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

Degaussed wrote …

“Lil Rockerfeller needs good ground, L’ami Serge and Harry likely needed a stronger pace”

Exactly that Degaussed, I’m fan of Harry and although he hasn’t put his best foot
    forward this year, I thought he had half a chance here. That was until I realised a long
    way from home it was going to turn into a sprint, and that’s just not Harry’s game. I
    feel sorry for Colliver, he just got it wrong. He won’t be the last either, so I hope he
    can put it behind him and move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.