The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fighting Fifth 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Fighting Fifth 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12

Hi all!! Am new to the forum and just thought I’d put this one out there for people to ponder….

Maybe being a bit premature posting this the week that the Greatwood and Morgiana hurdles are being run, but does anyone have an opinion on my favourite race at my local track??

Have read today they’re planning to start Starluck in this race and with Hurricane Fly defecting from the Morgiana, I wonder if there’s any chance of him making his comeback at Newcastle??

Binocular ran awfully in it last year I remember in a muddling-paced race but with the £1 million bonus still up for grabs this season do you reckon connections will give it another shot this season??

I look forward to some of the more established members’ views on this great Champion Hurdle trial! :D

• Total Posts 2184

Willie Mullins rarely sends horses to England prior to Cheltenham.

Very likely that Hurricane Fly will be targeted at the Hattons Grace at Fairyhouse now instead of the Morgiana.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

You can write the cheque to Mr J P McManus :D

• Total Posts 2440

Im guessing that Go Native will first be seen in the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton as his first run of the season? ? ?

• Total Posts 2184

Go Native suffered an injury at the second hurdle at Cheltenham and has very little work done. Christmas will probably come too soon for him. He should be ready for either the Irish Champion or the Red Mills.

• Total Posts 2440

Go Native suffered an injury at the second hurdle at Cheltenham and has very little work done. Christmas will probably come too soon for him. He should be ready for either the Irish Champion or the Red Mills.

Thanks as ever IC.

The thing with Binocular, regarding the Fighting Fifth, is that he strikes me as one of those horses who oozes class, yet will get beaten during the season, but then pick up a major prize, i.e. Champion Hurdle.

I do think he would run well in the Fighting Fifth, but i could see him getting beaten, especially if Pedlar’s Cross takes up his potential entry in the race.

Binocular was so, so impressive at Cheltenham, however, there is just a little doubt in my mind whether he would win all his races on the way to another Champion Hurdle. I do think the 11/8 available AP for the Fighting Fifth, is a little short.

Participant
    • Total Posts 12

Just had a look at the entries/prices for the race and, though Binocular is very skinny, what do you take him on with??

Hurricane Fly surely not going to run, Peddlers Cross not really a two-miler after his wins at Cheltenham/Aintree last season imo and the new kids on the block, the likes of Menorah and Nearby need to be winning the Greatwood off their respective marks to be rated anywhere near Binocular.

Bearing in mind Noel Meade’s record in the race, I like the look of Donnas Palm at the prices!!

• Total Posts 2440

7 go to post on Saturday –

Binocular
    Peddlers Cross
    Sublimity
    Bygones Of Brid
    Nearby
    Orsippus
    Starluck.

Nice to see Starluck back, ran a great race in the Christmas Hurdle last year, and i was wondering when his re-appearance would be.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

At 16/1 I’ll be having a small eacy-way bet on the race fit Nearby, but if they all turn up it’ll be hard for anything to cope with the market leaders.

simons26
    • Total Posts 45

sublimity for me ran a fine race in this last season , binocular may need the run

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Nicky Henderson has already said that the Champion Hurdle is Binocular’s only target this season, so there’s every chance that he’ll need the run on Saturday. With that in mind the race is Peddlers Cross’s for the taking (though with the ground likely to be soft I’d fancy him regardless).

I think 3/1 is more than generous.

• Total Posts 2440

Interesting comments from Nicky Henderson today too, in that the Fighting Fifth will be a ‘stepping stone’ for Binocular on the way to the Champion Hurdle.

• Total Posts 2440

Sublimity looks to be swerving the race.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

A complete non event of a race with such a small field. All this stepping stone lark is good and well buts its a different test to what will be faced come March.

They always seem to canter around for the first 1m4f and then a turn of foot wins it. Harchibald/Go Native etc are horses that seem to excel in this race where jumping is to the fore and can jump themselves basically in turning for home after a farcical pace.

Formbook wise no matter what the result i think its for the receycle bin

• Total Posts 660

Does anyone know why the two outsiders, Bygones and Orsippus, are 100-1? Why were they entered if they had no hope? If the pace of the race is slow surely they would have some sort of chance?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sometimes it’s the owner getting a bit carried away and the jockey thinking they’re nuts but it’s a riding fee so says nothing

Could also be the owner entertaining clients ro friends. Nice to have a runner in a big race.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It would appear all is well with Binocular which should see him win this with ease.

You have to respect Peddlars Cross who’s unbeaten but he’ll find this a bit different than taking on those he beat at Cheltenham and Aintree. He has ahuge task on his hands and is a rediculous price.

He could gallop them into the ground if they are short of a gallop but I just can’t see it.

Starluck is a different ball game especially on a course like Newbury where he’s a very hard horse to get off the bridle.

I’d imaginng Jason McGuire will ensure it’s a good gallop and AP will hit the front eary enough to not get into a sprint for the line with Starluck.

It really should be a repeat of the Betfair where the class horse is so far ahead of the opposition all AP will have to do is steer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.