The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Standing Starts

Home Forums Horse Racing Standing Starts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Not too keen on these, especially when one or two horses seem to get caught on the back foot. As there are a number of large fields at Cheltenham with jockeys vying for position are we going to see a few of these at the Festival? I hope not :x

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The start of jumps races are always a joke IMO. Starting stalls?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

The quality of starters is poor, nearly all ex jocks like stipes.

What makes ex jockeys the best and it appears the preferred option for these jobs?

Participant
    • Total Posts 960

I’m still not sure why he didn’t let them go first time in the Betfair Hurdle. They were jig jogging slightly but the horses were all moving forward in as close to a line as you can get with 23 runners.

I sometimes think the starters create their own problems.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Cheltenham this year is going to be an absolute farce. There will be so many false starts in the cauldron like atmosphere.

I can just imagine the starter saying to the jockeys "now come on boys walk in slowly and stand at the start before I let you go"! In your dreams!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I don’t think there’ll be many false starts. What’s more likely is these standing starts where a couple of stragglers will be left with lengths to make up because they take longerto kikk into action. Any that have a tendancy to completely dig their heels in just won’t go.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Agree on Betfair Hurdle. Mystifying why he didn’t let them go first time

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

I’d let them go first time.
    If a horse is playing up or the jockey isn’t ready then tough. If another jockey is taking the mick and rushing the tape I’d let the tape stand giving him the clothes line knocking him off the horse and tell him to slow down next time, they’d soon get the message. :lol:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.