The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Staking Plan for Place Laying

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems Staking Plan for Place Laying

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rakti
    • Total Posts 3

Does anyone have any suggestions for above. I’m laying several runners (maybe a third of the field) in 20+ runner handicaps.

On Satuday I used the following to lay 6 in the Sprint Trophy;

Odds<br>1.01 – 3 1% of Bank (£500)<br>3.01 – 5 0.6%<br>5.01 – 6 0.4%<br>6.01+ 0.2%

The problem with the above, is the bands may be too narrow for 28+ runner races. The aim is to be able to cope with the inevitable unsuccesful lay.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Rakti,

I’m not clear about your figures.

For instance, is your bank £500 to cover all possible losses, or just one race?

If it was £500 each race, for 4 places you could lay each horse to lose you £125 which would give a maximum loss of £500. If you wanted to lay a third of the field (7+ horses), you could make your bank substantially bigger, say £600 because at least three of the horses you lay are bound to be winners for you.

Rakti
    • Total Posts 3

Artemis,

It’s a theoretical £500 bank for the whole system. Sorry, I shouldn’t have put the £500 in the main body of the above table.

So, £5, £3, £2, £1 lay stakes based on the above table.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

I would suggest a max liability of £60 per race, laying 7+ horses each to lose about £15, stakes (what you might win on each) adjusted accordingly. If your judgement is any good, you shouldn’t take any harm and might be able to build up your bank(and hence your possible loss per horse) if things go well.

Rakti
    • Total Posts 3

Thanks Artemis.

I started off laying to lose the same amount on each one (started off at £8), but someone pointed out that means I’m laying the runners with least chance of placing for the least amount of money. That’s why I looked to a graduated scale as above.

(Edited by Rakti at 7:45 pm on Oct. 9, 2006)

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

That’s the way it should be. If you act as a bookmaker, you have to bet to figures, laying each horse to take out or cost you the same amount. Over a long period, if your prices(the exchange prices) are value to the layer, you will make money. As a punter, you can just lay those you don’t fancy using bookmaking principles and if you are a better judge than the market you will make money, probably more than a bookmaker who doesn’t take a view but just bets to figures.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

You should look at restricting your upper liability to 6 or something like that and then match a fixed amount.

Working on your £500 bank you have to weigh up how much you are prepared to risk in one bet. If you don’t want to risk more than 5% (depending on stratgey) you maximum play is going to be ..

£500 x 5% = £25 exposure @ odds of 6 = £5

So you would match backers stake @ £5 for all bets. Bear in mind that shorter prices win more, so you want to be staking less on them and more on the bigger prices.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.