The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

St Ignatius

Home Forums Memorials St Ignatius

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

This 7 year old veteran of 86 races just killed in the 1.15 Huntingdon. I try not to go over the top with emotion when recording these messages but this horse was 100-1, tried to refuse the jump and the jockey (a 7lb claimer)tried to get him over it anyway. He tipped over it, didn’t jump at all just kind of tipped forward and landed on his head and was killed. I’m assuming a broken neck but I don’t know. Maybe the jockey was unable to stop him, but I don’t think so. Could be wrong.

This is the kind of incident that really upsets me because it just didn’t have to happen.

• Total Posts 811

Sickening sight … did not look confident from first fence …

Ricco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 61

Shouldn’t have been anywhere near this race, obviously wasn’t remotely competent over fences, the trainer would’ve known that, but still threw him in with 140+ rated hurdlers.

You could tell after the first fence then he should just be pulled up and taken back safely to the stables for a rethink, after the second it was just blatantly obvious. The horse was not comfortable, there was no chance to finish within half a mile of the rest and there was a pointless danger to the horse and rider.

Trainer and jockey should hang their heads, I hope they have a sleepless night. Pathetic. The horse didn’t deserve to end a long career like that.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

If I didn`t know it better I would assume killed on purpose. Disgraceful fall and what is that horse doing over fences?
    Why do horses have to die like that?
    Now this kind of equine killing has to be stopped. Ban poor jumpers from the NH tracks. It`s as simple as that. And it is time to make that kind of a change.
    Poor animal, Rest in Peace St Ignatius

• Total Posts 811

Will any official questions be asked ??? That was his debut over fences …

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

No, questions are only asked after the National. That is once a year. But seriously, no one seems to care about every day fatalities at smaller tracks. Especially when it`s not the obstacles that have to be modified, but the entire training regime and race planning.
    Has anyone dare to ask why Mrs. Lavelle´s horses are jumping so poorly and why she sends them to the top tracks?
    No, and that will never happen.

Jane of Herts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 110

I saw it too, poor horse.

Isn’t it about time connections didn’t expect their horses to be competent at all disciplines? Flat, hurdles and jumps is a step too far for many horses – it is the equivalent to being a decathlete … and they sustain many injuries during their sporting career.

Perhaps permit horses to run on the flat and over hurdles or over hurdles and over jumps but not all three (with the exception of Std Open flat races) during their racing career and definitely not as a last resort?

There are numerous careers for ex-racehorses these days and they deserve a long and happy retirement.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

To make things even worse, the trainer has had 1 winner from 29 runners over hurdles in the last five years. And he has had NO RUNNER over fences in over 1,800 days. Why all of a sudden does he send the worst chaser in training over fences?????

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

It’s no good questions being asked unless they’re to the right body. Maybe if people complain to the BHA (not even sure that’s the right place to complain to)maybe they’ll be forced to take some action. I’ll complain to them, but I can’t imagine my complaint will get anywhere.

I don’t think the trainer’s even got a website or I would email him.

Regardless, the poor horse has died and it’s even more horrible than usual because he was clearly showing us he shouldn’t have been there.

• Total Posts 811

Apparently the poor horse suffered a heart attack.

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

if the horse did indded have a heart attack yhat may explain his poor jumping of the first fences.I havent seent he replay ( dont want to be upset ) but I know Joe Akehurst and I would be very surprised and disappointed if he were to blame, but as I said, I didnt watch the race.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

If he did have a heart attack then that would go some way to explaining the way he got over the fence. I was careful to say in my first post that maybe the jockey couldn’t stop the horse, but it didn’t look like that that. At the time you can only go on what your eyes are telling you – the jockey’s a claimer so presumably less experienced.

It was horrible to watch regardless.

How has this come to light? That he may have had a heart attack?

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

It was confirmed by a member of staff that works at the stable and confirmed on other sites.A terrible sad outcome nevertheless. I am now pleased that the blame is now not pointed at Joe. R.I.P St Ignatius.Loved seeing you at Brighton even if you did beat my " special girl ".

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I’m glad it appears confirmed, but I think I was careful not to blame the jockey. I always assume – rightly or wrongly – that claimers have less experience/knowledge.

I’m still uncomfortable with this however – the horse appeared to be in difficulty from the off and he just didn’t look comfortable at all.

Appearances can obviously be deceiving but this whole thing was extremely unpleasant to see and can’t help with any horse welfare issues.

• Total Posts 811

I’m glad it appears confirmed, but I think I was careful not to blame the jockey. I always assume – rightly or wrongly – that claimers have less experience/knowledge.

I’m still uncomfortable with this however – the horse appeared to be in difficulty from the off and he just didn’t look comfortable at all.

Appearances can obviously be deceiving but this whole thing was extremely unpleasant to see and can’t help with any horse welfare issues.

I agree … I was worried about him from the first fence …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.