The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sre De Grugy

Home Forums Horse Racing Sre De Grugy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    no idea
    • Total Posts 684

Everyone is still going on about Sprinter Sacre and this horse gets little praise.
    However he has to be the second best 2m chaser in training by some distance.
    It is just unfortunate that he does not get on that well with Cheltenham otherwise 3/1 for the Champion Chase would look fanatsic value as Sprinter may not even turn up.
    He just does not seem to jump as well at Cheltenham as flatter tracks and when Kid Cassidy beat him he hardly jumped a fence well and I thought there was something amiss that day.
    It will be some race if they both meet.
    can’t wait for March

stones89
    • Total Posts 14

I agree, a thoroughly underrated horse. How he was allowed to go off odds against at Ascot is beyond me: A winner of the last three graded races he had contested vs a field that have won a total of five races between them in the last twelve months. The 6/4 available yesterday morning was very welcome.

Definitely looks the value for the Champion Chase. I’m still not sure I agree with all the talk about how he doesn’t handle Cheltenham. Granted, the run against Kid Cassidy wasn’t great, but the only other time he raced there, in November 2012, he put in a satisfactory round of jumping bar one minor mistake early on. He was beaten two lengths by Captain Conan that day, but looks to have improved much more in the time since.

Will be a great battle if both he and SS line up at Cheltenham, I know where I would rather have my money at the prices.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Fast becoming my favourite horse. I was only thinking yesterday that I didn’t want him to become the horse that ‘won because Sprinter Sacre didn’t’.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

2 mile division is weak, probably due to connections of top class horses previously wanting to avoid Sprinter Sacre; and age catching up with Sizing Europe. Indeed, before the former’s ailments Garry Moore suggested Sire De Grugy would not be aimed at the Queen Mother Chase. He’s certainly improving and may well be up to winning an average Champion. Bold jumping takes a while to get accurate; that’s possibly the reason why Sire De Grugy has not quite been as impressive at Cheltenham. Also, quickened and went clear off an already fast pace before tiring markedly when beaten by Kid Cassidy (SDG the moral winner). And the second to Captain Conan probably his best performance up to that point. I’d expect him to be equally effective at Prestbury Park as Kempton or Sandown Park.

It’s a shame Cue Card has been taken out, CC V SDG would be a race to savour even if SS does not defend his crown.

However, if Sprinter Sacre had not had those problems you’d be getting nearly treble the current price about Sire De Grugy. Trouble is bookmakers can’t take that chance ante-post. Because without the Henderson and Tizzard horses in the race, the Moore’s Marauder will start very short, possibly odds-on favourite. Hence the 11/4 (and not 8/1) price now available.

Whether any horse in the Champion Chase is "value" at current prices all depends on if Sprinter Sacre turns up fit and well – or not. Therefore, unless someone is in the know, no bet.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

SDG becoming a very likeable horse. The power and enthusiasm he travelled with turning in yesterday and the verve and energy with which he took the second last was something to wonder at given the ground.

J Moore mentioned how lit up he gets when he sees a fence and I fear that could be his undoing at Cheltenham. Not a course for taking off outside the wings; but I hope he stands up and I hope SS runs – could be interesting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32173

I would say the only reason SDG didn’t go off odds on was that Somersby got within a closing 4 lengths in the previous race between the 2 on his seasonal debut with a possibility to improve 2nd time out and also that was SDG 1st win at Ascot whereas Somersby had solid form there.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I think the current odds only represent value if Sprinter Sacre doesn’t turn up.

Personally, given the paucity of opposition I think some of the praise lauded upon Sprinter Sacre has been a little over the top. Contrast that to Big Bucks who always seemed to be facing criticism over the merit of his rivals. If anything in recent seasons the three-mile hurdle division has been a shade stronger than the two-mile chase one.

Sprinter Sacre struggled home at Punchestown and I wonder if that race has left a long-term mark. Whatever the trainer reports I certainly wouldn’t be rushing to back him at short odds in any race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

Couldnt be more pleased for team Cisswood.Thoroughly deserved.he was very impressive on Saturday and that was the first time I have ever seen Jamie kiss a horse. !!
    I too am a bit wary about Cheltenham as it isnt his favourite course but if the ground is like it is currently he will enjoy the conditions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

I’m sure I’ve read an interview with Gary Moore where he said he’d rather take SDG to France than Cheltenham as he doesn’t think the track will suit him and he could get better prize money.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

SDG doesn’t get near SS if the latter is fit, and i like SDG.

If it’s good ground then i’d have SS at 90% and still win.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’d be keen to take on both of those front two at Cheltenham. I think Benefficient at 10/1 is better value than either of the front pair.

True, Sprinter Sacre will trot up if he is anything like the horse he was. But that is a very big if. Even if he’s allowed to take his chance the Henderson team won’t really know how he’s going to react under race pressure.

Sire De Grugy is a fine horse and has turned in some smart efforts. But I think he may have been flattered a little and I don’t think Cheltenham will play to his strengths. I’d take him on, with or without Sprinter Sacre in the field.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I was a bit disappointed with Sire De Grugy’s Cheltenham re-appearance where he tired on the run-in. It’s likely that he wasn’t completely fit. I lost money that day.

He clearly likes right-handed courses and for me, is a horse with still more improvement to come. I backed him with plenty of confidence again last Saturday, and despite Somersby’s fall, I have little doubt that Sire De Grugy would have won just as easily.

I was very impressed with his victory. He looks an imposing individual. I may be going out on a limb here, but Sire De Grugy has 2014 Queen Mother Champion Chaser written all over him.

I cannot see Sprinter Scare suddenly finding the brilliance of last season – especially after such a poor run last time. Clearly something is amiss with the great horse. I will be surprised if he turns up at Cheltenham, although given Nicky Henderson’s record, stranger things have happened.

Sire De Grugy to win the 2014 Champion Chase. A confident selection. 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 32173

I lost money that day

I bet you wont make that mistake again……… :twisted:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Hills go 4/7 Sprinter Sacre with a run (only firm quoting) which may interest money-buyers as ‘a run’ presumes he would be back to something like his best.

I couldn’t make Sire De Grugy anything shorter than 7-2 against last year’s Sprinter Sacre, which implies that the latter would be taking up around 80%+ of the book were he in prime form. Any betting on the race has to be pure guesswork until we know the fate of the champ.

Having said that, Sire De Grugy is a gutsy little so-and-so and I don’t buy into the ‘evidence’ that he he won’t go at Cheltenham or left-handed in general. He’s an older, wiser and tougher unit nowadays. Anyway, the Champion Chase is so shallow that he’s starting to look something of a moral if Sprinter Sacre fails to turn up.

Mike

jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

Will not win at Festival two reasons
    better on a RH track thats patently obvious and lost out up the hill at Cheltenham to Kid Cassidy an above ordinary horse early in the season.

The curse of the new monied owners running it every three to four weeks for a day out on a Saturday. It will be over the top come March probaly peaked last Saturday after its fifth run already this season. Theres plenty talk of not seeing the good animals often enough in a season but doesnt seem to stop the likes of Bobs Worth who’s very lighly entered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.