The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Squawk Squawk

Home Forums Horse Racing Squawk Squawk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

…flying around the premature corpse of Sir Percy on this board.:cool: You must all be grinning like Cheshire Cats over that flowing pint of smugness on your table.

Just got back from Newmarket. As I said last week, the Tregoning stable is badly out of form. The horse didn’t look well to me, was sweating and was beaten two furlongs out.  That was nowhere near the Sir Percy I saw at Epsom and even Newmarket the first time.  

Anyone who watched Pride skip down to post without touching a blade of grass must have been on.

I wouldn’t back against Sir Percy, (perhaps stupidly), but I know the horse was beaten on the way to the start. I watched the race with some sadness.

Bulwark, I echo what you said in the vulture thread about Marcus. He was overly bullish and perhaps a warning, even a mild one, about the form of his stable would have lowered expectations. I wish he had withdrawn the horse on Thursday.

Congratulations to todays Sir Percy layers. This round is yours. The great horse will be back.:cool:

Cheers

A disappointed – but not bowed – Max

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I still beleive sir percy has all the signs of being a great 1m2f horse but it would be nice if tregoning is genuinely honest about his readiness to race, the channel four team even said before that he didnt look as good in the paddock as he had been before epsom, then he ran with his head carriage all over the place. That was not what tregoning and dwyer had said though in recent weeks, so quite disappointed with them really.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

There is no doubt that Tregoning and Dwyer believed that the horse was as good as before Epsom, Bulowark. Of all the stables in the game, this is as honest and open as a stable can get.

I have no reason to believe that they were putting one over us; that’s not the way they do business. But they were very optimistic in public reports.

Trainers take an age to tell the public what any student of events can tell.

Take aside Sir Percy and Mulaqat, the stable has had a miserable season and in the last month, only Greek Renaissance, (a handicap snip), Zoom One (beautifully ridden) and Makderah, (who ran poorly today), have won a race.

The stable tends to be overbet, granted, but horses like Atraas, Raffaas, Ajhaar, Jump Ship, I’m Right and Island Myth were expected to run much better than they did in their respective races around the country. And I was in possession of reliable information that Aqaleem in the Washington Singer was strongly fancied, only to be beaten by one of Mark Johnstons.

Perhaps Marcus should have mentioned this. Why are trainers reluctant to use the V word?

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Really have doubts about him standing up to another years training next year and he should probably be retired now. Think of those fast ground races next year like the King George, Eclipse, Royal Ascot….ground that is usually much faster than the ground he encountered at Epsom where he still struggled to recover from.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Signs are not good with Sir Percy. He’s obviously had probs this year and, after the way he ran today, I’d be surprised to see him now win a competitive Gr.1

Fair play to them if they do get him back though and I wish them all the best with him. With a Dewhurst, a Derby and a runners up slot to a real champ in the Guineas he has had a fantastic career.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

They had talked before the Arc about a trip to Dubai in the spring of 2007. Surely that would be an absolute nail in his coffin given the likely firm ground and early start to the season?

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Yeah, you’d want to see him start off in a soft-ish race like the Tattersalls Gold Cup or the Ganay.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

Last Derby winner to win a race subsequently?

High Chapparal back in 2002.

The four winners since have run ten times between them without a vcitory.

Mike

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Alamshar, Rule of Law, Dubawi, Dylan Thomas – they are the true Derby winners.

‘Small’ stables train their ‘superstars’ simply for the Derby to get their 15 minutes. When that has settled, there’s nothing left of them.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Quote: from jackane24 on 2:44 am on Oct. 15, 2006[br]Alamshar, Rule of Law, Dubawi, Dylan Thomas – they are the true Derby winners.

‘Small’ stables train their ‘superstars’ simply for the Derby to get their 15 minutes. When that has settled, there’s nothing left of them.

More nonsense.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Be fair lads, he wrote it at 2.44 am. He’d probably had lots of fizzy pop at the disco.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

PMSL.

Rule Of Law a "true Derby Winner" –

And I don’t remember Dubawi winning a Derby …

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

And I don’t remember Dubawi winning a Derby …

Aaahhh, wait a minute, now I understand.

(got confused by Jacks statement as DT and Alamshaar actually did win Derbys – in Ireland)

Steve

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Jackster:

‘Small’ stables train their ‘superstars’ simply for the Derby to get their 15 minutes. When that has settled, there’s nothing left of them

Small stables huh?

Marcus has over 100 horses in training this year. That’s a lot of horsepower. The stable is owned by Sheikh Hamdan and has some of the finest gallops in the country. He himself was assistant to Major Hern, royal trainer and noted Classic farmer.

The stable has housed horses such as Mubtaker, Nayef, super fast sprinter Dominica and good stayer High Accolade.

I think you’re damning the stable with faint praise on this one. Is Johnny G’s stable big or small? Richard Hannon? Mick Channon? Brian Meehan at Manton. Fahey’s in Malton? And Mark Johnston has over 200 horses I believe. Are these small or large stables? I’m curious as to your definition.

Is Trevor Kersey still training?:biggrin:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

…..winning the St Leger.

or the Jacques Le Marois

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.