The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sprinter Sacre – now three miles please

Home Forums Horse Racing Sprinter Sacre – now three miles please

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Dismal afternoon for all those who insisted SS was a ‘two-mile horse’ so I’ll give them another chance to take umbrage by suggesting that his next target (if he swerves Punchestown) should be the King George.

Mike

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Have you backed him for the race? Prior to today I heard the owner interviewed stating the horse wouldn’t go further than today’s trip and today Henderson quoted Geraghty as saying the horse didn’t want to go any further. Can’t see anything in that to suggest that the King George is going to be on his agenda. At this stage I would have thought that Dynaste was the most obvious one for the King George.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

After connections’ seemingly unequivocal mutterings about SS being ‘a two miler isn’t he’ after Cheltenham it would, on balance and after careful consideration, be wise to ignore their words now about what might or might not be

Aside from the marvellous spectacle today it was very nice to see SS settle so well allowing Geraghty the luxury of perching with arms relaxed

King George? Well there was nothing there today to suggest he won’t get the 3m. Today’s step-up was intriguing, another 4f more so

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Not sure about this one. Ok would love to see it although it definitely wouldn’t happen if the ground was like last years King George. The other thing is, if the horse did bottom out, would we ever see the same horse again? Thinking back to Azertyuiop a few years ago. OK not as good as Sprinter Sacre but still a class horse. And if he then did win the KG easy enough would there be a temptation by the owners to go for the GC. 2 furlongs extra on a stiffer track. I know what NH and BG would think of that with Bobs Worth and Long Run still probably in there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Have you backed him for the race? Prior to today I heard the owner interviewed stating the horse wouldn’t go further than today’s trip and today Henderson quoted Geraghty as saying the horse didn’t want to go any further.

No, not backed him at all, it’s for the sport of it.

Let’s be honest, great horses though they were, we just don’t hold Badsworth Boy, Pearlyman, Skymas and Viking Flagship in the same regard as Arkle, Dawn Run, Best Mate and Kauto Star.

The fact is that 3 miles is where the real kudos lays and the connections of Sprinter Sacre have just seen him canter all over a top-quality field at 2m4f. Why wouldn’t you give it a go?

As you say, Sprinter Sacre’s team reckon that 2m4f is "probably as far as he wants to go". Is this based on any sort of rational thinking? Any sort of evidence? It didn’t exactly look as though the line came just in time this afternoon.

I just don’t understand the need to straightjacket the horse as one thing or another at this stage. Try him over 3 miles: if he doesn’t stay, he doesn’t stay. Nothing would be lost in defeat. But he might be every bit as good or even better.

Mike

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Whilst I agree with Mike I think the point they were making after the race was that he didn’t like jumping that slowly. Barry mentioned a couple of times how they were not going fast enough for him and so he was not able to make so much use of his natural speed through the air. My guess is they think that could be potentially far worse over an even longer trip.

They always talk about speed when it comes to this horse. There is no doubt that his OPTIMUM trip is 2 miles. He is so good that he could probably win over 3 but like Stilvi said, would they want to bottom him?

He is still young enough and they may be tempted further down the line but I would be surprised if they were to go any further with him next year.

Saying all that – WHAT a horse. I have not seen one like him.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Timeform have gave him a 203p rating after it, some may not agree but for me its nice to see a horse over 200.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

If you want to take the risk of shortening the career of a large horse with breathing issues, then run him over three miles in winter ground. Personally, I would rather enjoy Sprinter Sacre for half a decade over the shorter trips.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Interested as to how they would have derived that rating? Cue Card although easily dismissed has I think finished closer to Sprinter Sacre than in last year’s Arkle; it is very hard to believe Flemenstar has given his running and until today Finian’s Rainbow has looked seriously out of sorts. If Sprinter Sacre is 203 then that must also make Cue Card one of the best chasers we have ever seen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

If you want to take the risk of shortening the career of a large horse with breathing issues, then run him over three miles in winter ground. Personally, I would rather enjoy Sprinter Sacre for half a decade over the shorter trips.

I don’t see any evidence for this.

In a previous thread you said you were

"strongly against Sprinter Sacre running over anything other than two miles for the rest of his career. Stepping up in trip would be taking a needless risk with the horse’s wellbeing and future career".

Nobody saw the slightest evidence of that today. His breathing operation was two years ago and he has obviously recovered from it 100%. He ran twice on pretty desperate winter ground this season and performed superbly.

I just don’t understand where this theory is coming from.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Interested as to how they would have derived that rating? Cue Card although easily dismissed has I think finished closer to Sprinter Sacre than in last year’s Arkle; it is very hard to believe Flemenstar has given his running and until today Finian’s Rainbow has looked seriously out of sorts. If Sprinter Sacre is 203 then that must also make Cue Card one of the best chasers we have ever seen.

You got it right in the last sentence :D

What reason is there to suppose Flemenstar and FR did not give their running?

History will show CC as something of a Mill House to S Sacre’s Arkle. The Tizzards, like me, must be hoping SS skips Kempton giving Cue Card a real chance of winning a ‘classic NH race.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I don’t see any evidence for this.

In a previous thread you said you were

"strongly against Sprinter Sacre running over anything other than two miles for the rest of his career. Stepping up in trip would be taking a needless risk with the horse’s wellbeing and future career".

Nobody saw the slightest evidence of that today. His breathing operation was two years ago and he has obviously recovered from it 100%. He ran twice on pretty desperate winter ground this season and performed superbly.

I just don’t understand where this theory is coming from.

Mike

Agreed – pretentious nonsense surely.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

hes gold cup bound imo – might do a full festival next year 8)

i had my doubts coming into it – why over 2 miles etc when the breeders said stam is 3m + … maybe just playing it safe. His jumping today was worse then I have seen but still clever enough. Doesnt act as well with faster ground imo but that might be his chance for getting the trip in the gold cup next year. The fences come a bit fast on that sharp track so we saw what it did to his jumping today. Over 3+ miles at cheltenham when he is tired how will his jumping be ? … if he gets into a race i dont know but if he can cruise down the hill then i think he can do it.

good to soft or soft he can do it – hvy i dunno

thoughts pleas

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

In my view he will not be seen over 3 miles any time soon, if ever.
    It’s obviously the prerogative of the connections.
    If he were mine, and I had doubts over whether he stayed, then he wouldn’t be tried over further. I simply wouldn’t care whether the public would like him more if he won over 3 miles.
    The horse is obviously one of the great 2 mile – 2 1/2 mile chasers.
    Why is there this obsession over proving versatility, or stretching stamina ?
    Its the same as cribbing Frankel for not trying 12 furlongs. Pointless in my view.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

If he were mine, and I had doubts over whether he stayed, then he wouldn’t be tried over further. I simply wouldn’t care whether the public would like him more if he won over 3 miles.
    Its the same as cribbing Frankel for not trying 12 furlongs. Pointless in my view.

GC is the blue riband 8) thats why….. – he has that cruising speed. You have a horse that cant do that and will probably stay you would be mad not to try it – hes the right age now as well.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

. double post

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

GC is the blue riband 8) thats why….. – he has that cruising speed. You have a horse that can do that and will probably stay you would be mad not to try it – hes the right age now as well.

Trying 3 miles is one thing.
    Racing over 3 1/4 in the Gold Cup on a testing track is something else again.
    Imagine how you would feel if his stamina ran out and he ended up on the floor over the last few fences.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.