The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Split Personalities

Home Forums Horse Racing Split Personalities

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Nicky Henderson’s newcomer TARANIS ran well enough on Thursday and as it shares a name with TARANIS (the Ryanair Chase winner) and it set me thinking about horses with similar identity crises.

You’d have jumped out of bed to back DETROIT CITY at 16-1 for a £1800 Doncaster selling hurdle.  Well that was the price it started at back in 1999 and it pulled-up.

FIRST GOLD was a cruddy handicap hurdler as well as a Francois Doumen’s King George winner.  Doumen’s FOREMAN is a smart hurdler/chaser and couldn’t possibly be mistaken for FOREMAN, last seen as a 12yo selling hurdler.

Two AFTER EIGHT’s have hardly made a mint, a brace of RESEDA’s both won twice in recent years but the two READY TO RUMBLE’s seemed anything but.

There are two multiple winners called MAJLIS, while Henrietta Knight’s RED BLAZER was much better than Tony Carroll’s.

Grand National runner SOUTHERN STAR should not be confused with the 4yo hurdler of the same name and neither STAR OF WONDER nor STAR OF WONDER ever fulfilled early promise.

TOP BRASS wion at Musselburgh last season, better than TOP BRASS who pulled up five times back in 1997.  Unlike the country itself, both ZIMBABWE’s have been successful this year.

KADOUN turned up at 50-1 in last year’s Pertemps Hurdle, but the other KADOUN is more modest.

Happy now?

Mike <br>

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Many years ago I seem to remember Big Mac trying to get a ban – or at least, a mandatory renaming – of any horse sharing the name of another, whether both were in training at the same time or not, or whether they were bred in the same country or not.

It was the emergence of the mid-1990s staying chaser Baronet which particularly gave rise to the airing of this view. There was at least one run by this horse broadcast on C4 which was preceded by a lengthy rant by yer man.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 12:11 am on Mar. 31, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

One Enrique was much better at 1m than the other, who could actually jump.

One Achilles of Troy is graded stakes placed, the other a 2yo for Coolmore this year.

Daytona is a Johnston colt, but also runs for Pletcher.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

The medication seems to be working very well, Mike.;)

Colin

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

The medication seems to be working very well, Mike.

Colin

<br>Into the ‘bored at home’ stage now!!

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

How long for, Mike?

Colin

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Eradicate makes his debut today for Mark Johnston, wonder if he’ll be able to emulate the Peter Calver trained Eradicate who managed to win the Magnet cup when at the height of his powers, seemingly not so long ago but was in fact 17 years ago :o

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

How long for, Mike?

Colin

Thanks for your concern.  Well, I’m feeling better but basically, I have kidney failure so I will shortly be strapped to a dialysis machine ad infinitum.

Three sessions a week, four hours a time – I make that an extra 12 hours of form study per week.  if I can’t make it pay big style, I’ll take up gardening. :cool:

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

That’s rough, Mike, but it is nice to see that you are keeping your sense of humour.

Colin

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

All the best Mike.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Ditto above,

One of the best posters here, no doubt.

Keep up the good work

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Quote: from Grasshopper on 12:22 am on Mar. 31, 2007[br]I’ve just registered with equity under the name "lardy dollop of s**t<br>e"………………..no news from Macs’ lawyers as yet, but…………………….<br>

<br>Quality from Grassy, as always. LMAO!<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

One Galileo won a Derby too. The other won at the Cheltenham festival. :biggrin:

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

There was of course the "Battle of the Avertis" at Yarmouth a few years ago, while Musical Echo is by Distant Music out of….erm….Distant Music.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Mike if you’re still bored and want a good laugh at religion there’s a cracking discussion on Heaven and Earth (BBC1) about banning chocolate Jesus figures – priceless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.