The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Soviet Song V Russian Rythm

Home Forums Horse Racing Soviet Song V Russian Rythm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Rusian Rythm was the nemesis of the 2003 flat season as she kept beating "my" filly Soviet Song but maybe revenge is on the cards as both mares are visiting Oasis Dream this season. Who knows what the future holds a nice pair of colts please girls & we’ll make it a fair fight!!!

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Russian Rhythm has already produced two useful performers so I would be hopeful that her superiority on the racecourse will be transferred to the paddocks.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Given the problems Soviet Song is having getting/staying in foal, I’d be happy if she just goes full term, never mind producing something with her level of ability.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Sovie has a very nice yearling colt by Oasis dream already yes she has had her problems but every care has been taken to give her the best probable chance of conceiving & carry to term I’m sure the long term results will proove that she was a fantastic mare sadly having the misfortune of being born the same year as another very good performer in Russian rythm lets not forget she comprehensively lowered Attraction’s colours Yes I am Biased I’ve "known" Sovie since she was 6 months old.

• Total Posts 2432

Two lovely fillies, Sovies.

What’s your favourite Soviet Song moment?

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Favourite "Sovie" moment have 2 can’t split them 28th september 2002 Meon valley stud fillies mile Ascot the ERC’s first group one winner 28th september 2002 would’ve been my gran’s 91st birthday so it was a special day as i’m sure gran was shouting down from heaven nearly as hard as i was "riding" the finish on the sofa at home and then the day she won at Royal ascot at the third time of asking !
    Sorry can’t help it but I love her !!!

Can’t wait for her baby to be named he’s getting a bit big to be known as "sovies boy"

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Russian Rhythm has already produced two useful performers so I would be hopeful that her superiority on the racecourse will be transferred to the paddocks.

Should not that read "potentially useful"? Neither of her runners so far (4yo and 3yo) have managed to win a race yet, from four attempts.

The SS Oasis Dream is a beautiful colt and already causing some muted excitement.

I’m biased, but "nemesis" is a bit strong to describe Russian Rhythm’s fortune against her rival. In the Guineas SS was well behind in her work and patently "blew up" when looking the winner a furlong out. In the Coronation Fallon whipped SS across the face as she came to her rival’s neck. In the QE2, when neither of them won, SS was patently under the weather after that disappointing 3yo season.

We didn’t see the "real" SS that we’d seen in the Fillies Mile of 2002, until that marvellous run of three Group 1’s in 2004 (when she herself of course was "nemesis" to Attraction.)

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Can’t wait for her baby to be named he’s getting a bit big to be known as "sovies boy"

I’m dreading it after some of the atrocious names Elite horses have been burdened with lately. I sincerely hope they don’t let members pick this one, he’ll probably be called Fandabisovi or something.

I think the seond time she beat Attraction was one of the best because it looked like it had bee left too late and then *whoosh*, off she went. And her second to Proclaimation – as the RP says, "post came too soon". Sure, the colt idled but that girl had a hell of a turn of foot.

The 4th in the Guineas was pretty amazing considering she’d been a sick horse and was never right that season.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Roseblossom are you referring to Yabadabadoo by any chance i like it after all thats what we’ll be shouting when he starts winning, the name i can’t get on with is Doyly Carte where did that come from i ask you

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

… the name i can’t get on with is Doyly Carte where did that come from i ask you

You’re clearly not a Gilbert & Sullivan fan!

The D’Oyly Carte was the opera company which devoted itself to performing G&S all round the world for over 100 years. It was named after the founder, Richard D’Oyly Carte, an Irish entrepreneur who brought Gilbert and Sullivan into partnership.

D’Oyly Carte founded the Savoy Hotel and Theatre on the profits. Thus the G&S canon is called "The Savoy Operas", and the Savoy Hotel is its spiritual home, as well as housing some important archives.

I like the name very much — but then, I was professionally connected with the company once upon a time, so that’s no wonder.

Goodness knows why they chose the name for this one!

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Roseblossom are you referring to Yabadabadoo by any chance i like it after all thats what we’ll be shouting when he starts winning, the name i can’t get on with is Doyly Carte where did that come from i ask you

Yes, it’s a ******* dreadful name and I won’t be shouting it under any circumstance. Nor will most members I know. Exactly how does it meet the "must be classy" criteria set out in the handbook?

Chosen by a 9yo kid. Says it all.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Roseblossom please forgive my ignorance of gilbert & sullivan as it happens i really enjoy Pirates of Penzance but never delved that deeply into G&S.

May be we should get together to get some strong suggestions of names for this years yearlings especially the Halling ex Trompette colt he was very sweet when i met him at star cottage last summer & deserves a strong name especially after the way he looked after Spanish Lace’s filly after poor old Spanish died. she was another one i had a soft spot for as Maurice allowed me the priviledge of feeding her & Kabayil polo’s in the paddock when she was a youngster !!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 347

Both good fillies, both beating Colts and horses in a Group 1 race.

Talking from the pocket,I liked Russian Rhythm best!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.