Sleeping Giants.?

Home Forums Lounge Sleeping Giants.?

This topic contains 209 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 210 total)
  • Author

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

I do believe the personalised registration change was implemented after one inspired poster and the King of past posts opened his surprising palace to the public.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20601

I did not realise anything had been removed gamble
    I was a few away from 20350 but it went down to lower than what it is now
    not too fussed but didn’t know whether it was a bug or something
    Perhaps the forum were having a clear up on old posts/photos

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5594

The reason that “manual registration” has been introduced is to stop the “Chinese spammers” infiltrating and bringing the forum down to a state that it is unusable.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20601

A Chinese lady once gave me spring onions
    I was in need of them for my son who was cooking at school and the shop and supermarkets
    were all sold out

aaronizneez
    aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1684

I think I have a Peugeot 205 Haynes manual from the 1980’s that I could register? :unsure:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

They might threaten to sell us spring onions possibly old cars or some of your old canned four star Matron, but lets have us a reality check here – or at least enlighten me. Good of you to highlight the problem but please clarify after my twopenneth.

In my look back in time on here I read dozens of really old threads not just here in the fly jar but in the meat section. Only uncovered one active link to an advertised site that was still active and offering services for payment. That was from a man I came across on a tube station in central London many years ago holding a large bunch of flowers and he noticed I had a sly sideway eye on him and acted accordingly and moved away. He had a seemingly close relationship with Mac back in the day and his services were subject to some selective criticism – will come back to him in a min.

I appreciate these small group of disrespectful Chinese are clever and can use botnets to change usernames after a few postings, but would they bother given the size of our active membership – our forty or so productive diehards and possibly the same number of once in a whilers. There is only one poster of late that I have noticed might mimic a bot but he has plumped it for the time being in an armchair and has his feet up.

Of the ten biggest spam orgos five are US based and the biggest Canadian pharmacy is based in Ukraine. One big one in China and India has a couple etc…

Our emails are hidden are they not :good:

You are the expert I am not good at forensically weighing up cyber threats. I thought it was a breath of feesh air to see King unburden his fine worded duplicity and surely the threat of clones is a Grade 2 while Chinese spammers, well they mright sell us some unworkable woks, but surely hidden in the very back pews of our humble church.

Well the highly acclaimed jockey Richard Dunwoody has the active link but it is so far buried in dust and time I doubt anyone would find it even after a day of hard scraping. Some tipster services can be good and it may be one of those – I have never used one but some probably do provide value and over time. I thought it was rather clever of him to get through the net. Haven’t worked out who the flowers were for – it was high noon !!!

I may be completely off the beaten track because I am not even aware if there is a time period to self edit or remove posts. Doesn’t seem to be any instruction I can put my finger on either.

:whistle:

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5594

The trouble with the “Chinese spammers” is they start topic after topic with the same content.

If “auto-registration” is on they will just automatically re-register with slightly different details if you ban them; as you are deleting threads another flood appears. (This is not just 3 or 4 posts.)

The only people that can see your email address that you registered with are the admin team.

I do know the the edit feature is turned-off when the competitions are running but, Cormack might have turned it off.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

My thought yesterday was about chinks in the software and I spent time ruminating exactly why this thought had so amused me, and its significance as a lighthearted signpost on the road to racism,and how this now unacceptable humour, is still deeply ingrained in many – but outside the laughter halls – and largely I surmise in the plus 40 population 60% of which voted to seperate themselves from 26 other countries with different geographies and ways.

So these are malicious attacks and nothing to do with financial gain. Thank you for your input Matron.

I do mostly look through my posts and try to pick out errors – but they do seem to show up after I have posted. :mail:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

27 :unsure:

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5594

They are normally trying to sell handbags, jewellery, university courses, etc.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

Posts with links then followed by amoeba like growth – emulating those furry tribbles on the that great ship that journeyed to the dark side.

” Never tell me the odds Ginger “…. Hans Solo

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

the that the that
    I’ll get my hat ! :wacko:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20601

Deaf Jon celebrated his 84th birthday today

Had a photo but the forum doesn’t seem to be accepting it

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 545

It’s a brave man who attempts to “awaken the (forum) ‘dead’.”

“Ancient Earth work fort and barrow
    Discreetly hide their secret abodes
    The most fearful hide deep inside
    And venture not there upon Yuletide….”

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

Well, it’s finally happened Chief – Morrissey has made his peace with The Third Man. Rumour has it he ordered the Vegan special from his local pizza takeaway in California and Rob Barta delivered it personally and talked him around. “I’ve sprinkled some extra olives on that one gratis from the branch outside my parlour. Take the hint and bury the hatchet will you? It’s been 35 years!”

I wonder if Potts and Nevison will ever settle their differences. It’s a longshot after Nevion’s ‘beans on toast’ diss, but stranger things have happened. Maybe Gamble could get them together for peace talks and get them to call off the feud.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.