The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Should the BHA be an elected body?

Home Forums Horse Racing Should the BHA be an elected body?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

As a small owner, I have to abide by some of the ridiculous rules imposed on me. I pay fees to fund them, yet have no say. I feel that the BHA should be elected by those they represent. This would make them more accountable as more racing people would be involved. At present they seem to be going from one disaster to another, with no one taking responsibility. Instead of a ship drifting on the ocean, racing needs , and deserves a respected body, not a laughing stock.
    So far my views have fallen on deaf ears so I have done something about it. I have started a government e petition.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/24384

I don’t know how many signatures it will get, but at least I feel better for trying, rather than just moaning.!!

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1602

Signed.

I can’t say I’m in any way optimistic anything will come of this and I wouldn’t consider the government to be in any way more democratic than the BHA but it wont do any harm and I respect your attitude.

Best of luck with this.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28450

There are too many factions in "Racing" for an elected body to work. It stands to reason they have to do things occasionally that will upset one or more factions, for the benifit of racing as a whole. They would not be able to do that looking over their shoulder at the electorate.

Not that I believe the BHA have done a good job anyway.

Value Is Everything
    harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

There are too many factions in "Racing" for an elected body to work. It stands to reason they have to do things occasionally that will upset one or more factions, for the benifit of racing as a whole. They would not be able to do that looking over their shoulder at the electorate.

Not that I believe the BHA have done a good job anyway.

I understand what you are saying and I don’t have all the answers. As you say, there are a lot of factions. Would it not be better to have them under one roof? The BHA have fostered these factions by ‘subbing out’ some of their responsibilities. The ROA dealing with tarrifs , The RFC, the PJA monitoring the whip rules etc.
    If racing is to be run by one body all the above should be dealt with by them.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28450

Would you be happy to see the ROA abandoned and have to fight independently to get what yoy want Harry?

I think the way it is now should work, but for some reason it doesn’t.

I was expecting there to be less racing with the BHA’s statements earlier in the year, yet what do we get?

Value Is Everything
    harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

Would you be happy to see the ROA abandoned and have to fight independently to get what yoy want Harry?

I think the way it is now should work, but for some reason it doesn’t.

I was expecting there to be less racing with the BHA’s statements earlier in the year, yet what do we get?

I am not a member of ROA. They try and come across as if they represent ALL owners. They don’t. They only represent people who join them if they own at least 50% of a horse. This precludes syndicate members and partnerships which number thousands.
    They have tried to negotiate minimum tariffs for low grade races and have been fairly succesful. My worry is that by asking owners to boycott races which do not meet the tariff is unfair. I should be allowed to run my horse wherever I choose, after all, I pay the bills. This is why they then put pressure on trainers not to run. Again, ok for larger trainers who probably don’t want to train lower grade horses but what about the trainers who have no choice?
    Horse racing has always appeared an elitist sport. Instead of waking up and filtering money downwards they throw money to the top end. Bookies bread and butter is at the lower end of the scale. The bookies fund racing via the Levy Board. The owner of the Derby winner does not need another £10g in prizemoney, he is already guaranteed a fortune from breeding.
    Going back to the ROA, Paul Dixon , the chairman is a wealthy owner with many top class horses. Is he really doing anything for the bottom grades or is he just trying to preserve as much as he can for himself and his other rich owner chums?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.