The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Serena Williams – Surely They Can’t Let Her Off Again?

Home Forums General Sports Serena Williams – Surely They Can’t Let Her Off Again?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Anyone really that surprised? When she is unable to dominate she is akin to a hand grenade with a loose pin. If the WTA don’t take severe action the same thing will just happen again.

She showed total disrespect for both the Official – who did nothing wrong – and her opponent. Thankfully, Stosur was not distracted enough to lose the match.

Tipster88
    • Total Posts 44

Yep, i wasn’t impressed by her antics at all! Didnt think she was like that, but she is a sore loser!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Quite appropriate to hear former world number 3 and multiple Grand Slam finalist Wendy Turnbull commentating on the Final for Radio Five Live, given that she’d been the victim of a similar outburst by Jeremy Bates when opposing him in a Mixed Doubles match at Wimbledon nearly 25 years earlier. There, Bates had shouted "good shot!" in self-congratulation before Turnbull had even got as far as addressing the approaching ball.

I can’t remember exactly whether Bates was penalised for it, but the other memory I have of Turnbull’s lengthy remonstrating with him at the next changeover suggests he probably wasn’t, and that the Australian was taking the matter into her own hands as far as she could.

There are already several iterations of the Williams outburst on Youtube, as one might expect, and interspersed among the condemnatory comments left are quite a few trying to play the race card over the issue. To the latter I say; no, the anti-Williams backlash has come not "coz she iz black", but because she broke a known rule and was quite staggeringly graceless, incoherent** and aggressive in the aftermath of it. A difference, and not even an especially subtle one.

The punishment has been confirmed as a $2,000 fine – so not really much of a punishment at all.

gc

**No, really, "incoherent" isn’t too strong a word. I mean, what in blazes does all the following actually mean?

– "If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other way. You’re out of control, you’re a hater and you’re unattractive inside."
    – "Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser."
    – "You get a code violation because I express my end, we’re in America the last time I checked."
    – "Can I have a water? Or am I going to get violated for drinking a water? Really don’t even look at me."

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Tipster88
    • Total Posts 44

Well put!! Another case of professional athletes feeling like they are untouchable! It was sickening to see the way she wouldn’t even acknowledge her actions in the press afterwards!! They should have made an example of her for me! we dont want to see any more of this in the game!!

RedGrumbler
    • Total Posts 15

Ok so that might be part of their competitive spirit blah blah blah but they are in the public eye and not only should they be respectful to other humans anyhow, but they have a duty to set good examples.

England cricketer Stuart Broad is a similar character. When things aren’t going his way then he starts to throw his toys and become particulaly unsporting but when he’s going well he is the crowd’s darling.

He seems to get away unpunished often and you can’t help but ask questions given that his Father has such an high position in the ICC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.