The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Scottish Grand National 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Scottish Grand National 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Seems strange to start a thread on this in January, but Unibet already got a market up. Don’t think there’s ever been a market up before the entries are revealed…..

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/scottish-grand-national/winner

Seeyouatmidnight is the obvious one for me at 25’s. Impressive winner of The Veterans Final last time, and only up 3lbs. 25’s a big price.

His stablemate The Ferry Master, is also interesting, and Seemorelights is another from the yard, but they’d need to get his mark up.

Palmers Hill of Jonjo’s, could be another but I’d still like to see a bit more from him.

The only other one in my radar is Redford Road. He fits the bill perfectly for me, but a slight concern is how quickly he stopped last time.

Don’t expect this to be a busy thread just now, but thought worth starting, and let people know a markets up.

No bet for now.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2723

Vtc I’ll def be interested in anything sandy sends , I was hoping he would bring bellshill but aintree seems to be the plan , I said after he won the kelso national that dino boy looked perfect for a scot Nat , the owners always wants to win here above anything else and he,s a young improving horse , £15000 out of NTD yard was theft , I really hope he can get in

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Can’t argue with Dino’s Boy at all.

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Dingo Dollar is a horse I’ve followed for a while, but he’s been a bit of a disappointment. Probably an understatement that, and in recent times he’s completely lost his way. Very interesting that he’s now with Sandy Thomson, and given his record, he could be just the man to revive him. Given that he almost ran in this a couple of years back, then I’d imagine this might be a realistic target. Hoping to see a more encouraging performance this afternoon at Newcastle.

Another one on the radar for me, and one who’s actually priced up, is an old favourite in Vintage Clouds. I’m seriously considering him as backup in a couple of the handicaps next week, and any signs of encouragement at Cheltenham, then I’d maybe play him early for this. I think he’s a live contender here off his current mark.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2723

Well VTC Sandy’s worked the oracle again , while it wasn’t a great race he won with ease , nicely hcapped for this , after what happened yesterday it will give the yard something to look forward to

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Certainly did, just hope he doesn’t get hammered now, though with the manner of that win, he might be fairly short when market takes shape.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2723

Sandy could easily have 2 or 3 in it

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Very happy now with both Dingo and Vintage, but the market, and the handicapper, unlikely to miss them.

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Entries……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/3/ayr/2021-04-17/779587

Bristol De Mai Mai the big name entries, but it’s Escaria Ten and Galvin, who look the most interesting to me. I’m not sure if I’d bet Galvin here, and having bet him for The Cross Country this morning, I’m no sure this would be the plan for them. If it is, he’s obviously a serious horse, and he would be a worthy favourite.

Escaria Ten is harder to gauge, and I could see them considering this. Love the horse, big future, and he’s probably one to decide on nearer the time.

It’s a shame that Seeyouatmidnight doesn’t get an entry, but his stablemates Dingo Dollar, and The Ferry Master look big players. I’m happy to ignore the last run of The Ferry Master, and this trip should be perfect, while the run of Dingo Dollar last month, his first for Sandy Thomson, was as good as I’ve seen him. Shortlisted the pair of them.

I’d threw a few quid the way of Talkischeap for Aintree, but it made more sense to lay him off there, as there’s just the chance this would be the preference, considering the trainer. High enough mark, but he ran well for a long way at Kempton, and he’s good enough to take a hand here.

Cloudy Glen ran a cracker, and found only Mount Ida too good at Cheltenham. He’s got to be seriously considered here off 2lbs higher.

Crosshue Boy is harder to recommend on recent form, but worth noting the major support for him in this two years ago (fell early), and it maybe wise to follow the market if you’re considering him. Interesting entry.

Peter Bowen doesn’t make the headlines too often these days, but he loves this race, and his Lord Napier, who was staying on last time, wouldn’t be a forlorn hope at a price. Declared Friday at Newbury.

Not surprisingly, Nicholls has a strong hand, with a few entered. Highland Hunter, and particularly Soldier of Love standing out.

Special Prep really surprised me in The Grimthorpe, with market support noted. 4lb rise shouldn’t be an issue, and not one to dismiss lightly.

I’ll almost certainly bet the Thomson pair, with the 16’s a big standout for Dingo, but equally the 25’s for Soldier of Love, and Cloudy Glen, really stands out too.

I’ll probably have an early bet once the market firms up.

Shortlist
    Dingo Dollar 16’s
    Cloudy Glen 25’s
    Soldier of Love 25’s

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5502

The Hollow Ginge EW @ 56/1 Boost

Was going as well as anything in the Welsh National before unseating his rider. Possibly his next run came a bit too quick for him but comes here 4 lb better off than that great run at Newbury. Been saved for this race since then unless he gets in the National. :unsure:

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 490

If Eurobot made the trip, I would really like him, but I think that good spring ground would see 20/1 be a big price for Cap Du Nord, so I’ve had an early bet on him.

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Decided to have an early bet on Crosshue Boy.

Just watched his race back last week at Down Royal, and thought he acquitted himself really well against a good standard of opposition. Not knocked about either.

On bare form, he’s got work to do, but after a winter of the big prizes being plundered by Irish Raiders, and not just the big yards, I think there’s a chance that Sean Doyle will have a chance of joining that list.

That market support two years ago was significant, and worth noting that he also won very nicely at the meeting the year before, getting the better of Dingo Dollar. It’s safe to say I’d be happy with a repeat of that result, as I’ll definitely be adding Dingo as well.

As I said, bare form maybe not good enough, but there has to be a very good chance that this race has been the target, and I had to play early.

Just a win bet first of all, as I’d like five places at this price, but as I’ll definitely be topping up, I’ll keep an eye on the market.

Crosshue Boy 100’s

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4697

Cap Du Nord 22-1 ew 5 places

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2723

Vtc I still remember shouting home Al Co at 66-1 , heart in mouth with his wee jig just before the line , same owner as Lord Napier , hasn’t won as many as he should ( he also likes to hit a fence or 2 ) but this may well be this has been the long term plan , he,ll need softish ground though

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3512

Ian Ferguson suggesting Galvin a possible for here anyway. Rules out Irish National.

Bobby, you’ve backed Galvin for the Cross Country??

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

That’s a very decent early call Autumnal, and I’ll join you at 22-1 with Cap Du Nord. Fagan is the other horse that I like. I think that I would rather have him ew on the day, so definitely back up only for now 25-1 win

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Yeah Jack, betting a handful early for Cheltenham this year, then drawing a line under it till next year. That’s the plan anyway. Will I stuck to it? Doubt it. I wasn’t overly excited with the 10’s, so I’ll be taking bigger if I see it.

I just see him as their horse for the big stage, and can see The Cross Country being the plan for him, before on to Aintree.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.