The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Saval Beg Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Saval Beg Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Alandi has been put in very short for this following his win at Navan. There are grounds for thinking that odds-on quotes are too short however: the flop of Yeats meant that race didn’t take much winning and the ground will be a lot better tonight. I’ve been taking double-figure quotes this morning about Donegal. Any of his last 3 runs on the Flat last year put him right in this and he’s fit from an admittedly disappointing hurdling campaign. If he retains his enthusiasm for Flat racing after hating hurdles he’s not an 11-1 shot here.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Alandi has been put in very short for this following his win at Navan. There are grounds for thinking that odds-on quotes are too short however: the flop of Yeats meant that race didn’t take much winning and the ground will be a lot better tonight. I’ve been taking double-figure quotes this morning about Donegal. Any of his last 3 runs on the Flat last year put him right in this and he’s fit from an admittedly disappointing hurdling campaign. If he retains his enthusiasm for Flat racing after hating hurdles he’s not an 11-1 shot here.

Agree, Hindu Kush and The Betchworth Kid haven’t exactly franked the Navan form either. He may have lost interest but Donegals price is well worth chancing given his form from last summer through Sixties Icon, Conduit and Eastern Anthem is the best in the race and Alandi on bare evidence so far does seem to have a preference for testing conditions.

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

I’m going to take a stab at Merveilles at a big price ……….. you don’t get too many winning Listed races after a Clonmel novice chase but he goes well fresh and likes good ground and small fields and was third in a better renewal last year.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Agree that Donegal looks a huge price. If he hasn’t been soured by his hurdling experiences than he should go close. Alandi could be anything but he’s too short on the bare form of that Navan race.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Drifting like a barge. I reckon Alandi is a good thing.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I’m glad Hindu Kush got his day in the sun after his great St. Leger effort but what a shame to see what has become of Donegal, although he wasn’t disgraced last year surely he wouldn’t have put that kind of performance in.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I thought Sublimity ran a cracking race so you can’t put Donegal’s poor performance down to the trainer.

Some horses are not very responsive to training or racing and it takes a lot time and patience to sweeten them up. He gave me the impression he was never very keen when I backed him a couple of times last season and I gave up on him then the begger won. :oops:

Wasn’t long untill he went of the boil and when he went hurdling they must have thought it would rekindle his interest. Unfortunately it did the exact opposite.

He’s probably way too clever for any trainer and will take the piss out of Hennessy and win when he wants to and we don’t :lol:

Anyone think the winner could be a Gold Cup horse?.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Definitely appears to be a gold cup contender on ;last nights performance, and especially with his running style and how well he stays on, you’d have to think he’ll get a fair bit further if held up, plus he won on gd-fm before so you’d think he’ll handle the ground.

Whether he’s the winner or not but think he was an overpriced contender for a long time. Obviously would like to see him win.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I think he’s got a lot to find to contend in a Gold Cup- the proximity of Sublimity tells you all you need to know about the value of last night’s form.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I think he’s got a lot to find to contend in a Gold Cup- the proximity of Sublimity tells you all you need to know about the value of last night’s form.

IMO, after yeats, geordieland and coastal path, this isnt a hugely classy division, and this seems to be a horse who has ability when everything falls right. I dont think he’s a million miles away, and with everything right the way he stays on could put him up there with the better ones when he steps up.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

You’ll be pressing up your 50-1 ante-post bet at the 84-1 available now on Betfair then no doubt.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Probably not. Off to live in Saudi tomorrow, and my last decent bet is going the way of Spin Cycle e/w in the Kings Stand at 66s…

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

I was desperate disappointed with Alandi…..i dont think Mick had the strength to really get after him but i dont think he would have won and even if he had it wouldnt have been impressive.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Probably not. Off to live in Saudi tomorrow, and my last decent bet is going the way of Spin Cycle e/w in the Kings Stand at 66s…

Does this mean you are leaving or will you be posting from Saudi?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Does this mean you are leaving or will you be posting from Saudi?

Will hopefully be able to get on to forum when I get out there, on from heathrow at the minute.

Eventually split my decent bet between Montaff and Spin Cycle in the end as excited about both, and Channons report in yesterdays post ref Montaff was certainly encouraging, and explained the drift on him a while ago, aswell as why he wasnt well supported prior to running Age Of Aquarius so close at Lingfield.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cool mate have a safe flight!

Say hello to my friend Robert…….just say Aye Rab! :)

Catch you on the other side :wink:

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

We’re well covered between online and Sheikh Mo’s racing channel Bulwark, the flat coverage on DubaiRacing is superb. If you need any access info pm me. Good luck in Saudi. 8)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.