The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Saturday Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Saturday Racing

Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Wasn’t there a thread here a week or two back along the lines of ‘What can racing do to get more through the turnstiles?’

I haven’t been flat racing on a Saturday for many years – it seems I haven’t missed much. Sounds like the punters should be wearing crash helmets, not the jockeys.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

has anyone had experience of attending race meetings in other countries ? .. do they have the same problem ? .. is Longchamp on Arc day similar to this ?

I can only talk about racing in Ireland. The alcohol consumption at some meetings is high but the only time I have come across groups of obnoxious tossers they have come, you guessed it, on a coach trip from England :(

These people on At The Races, they talk about racecourses from their point of view. So paid to attend, press room, access to the parade ring, nice close car parking. Their criteria are completely different to you and I and frankly I have no time for them.

Been racing in Ireland, the UK and Denmark. Some of the Irish racing festivals were seriously boozy events but I rarely saw any trouble which reinforces the fact to me that people cant blame alcohol alone for behaving like complete tossers.

I dont know where this comes from but perhaps going to footballing events and chanting abuse isn’t always the best education for young people with regard to how they should behave and treat others at sporting events????

I wouldn’t get too smug if I were Irish though as I have a feeling this is the future for all race courses.

The Danish racing is more like a garden fete. Very low key

SHL

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

It was also reckoned that things got better once the football started up again – on the presumption the drinking crowd would go to watch the game either live or in the pub.

Will be interesting to monitor this thread now that the Premier League is in full swing and we’re moving into Autumn.

Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.