The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sad week

Home Forums Horse Racing Sad week

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AKP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

After the highs of the national hunt season, the last week or so has shown its low side for me personally.

My favourite horse in training Tidal Bay retired and that has swiftly been followed by sizing Europe and quevega.

With hurricanes defeat today that could spell retirement for him too.

Then to see kaylif aramis (a local horse to me that I was particularly fond of) on the memorial pages just about finished me off.

It’s amazing how attached we get to the national hunt horses who we see year after year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I wouldn’t call it a sad week personally. Three wonderful horses have retired safe and sound, leaving us with glowing memories. Good for them! Yes they’ll leave a gap, but it’ll soon be filled with more legends and more victories that leave you reaching for a hanky.

Sad about Kaylif Aramis of course.

AKP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

Of course it’s great that they retire safe and sound and whilst still at the top too for their age.

Yes you are quite right about the next legends :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I had mixed feelings at the end of the week. Punchestown was superb this year with mainly very competetive fields and some great races. What a way to bring the curtain down (forget Sandown as the closer!).

However, despite the fact that the horses have retired safe and sound, it was somewhat deflating to me as it’s an end of an era. The fly and Quevega have been standing dishes in their respective races over the last few years and there’ll be a gaping hole for me. They were literally a licence to print money albeit at short odds.
    Yes, there is plenty to look forward to with the new crop of talent waiting in the wings, but will we ever see such longevity again at the highest level ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.