The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sad how it turned out

Home Forums Horse Racing Sad how it turned out

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

After a recent good set of results for the Jim and Tom Best yard at Lewes there has been a major bust up between jockey Robert Lucey-Butler and the Best brothers.

The Racing Post reported that it was over the trainers giving a winning ride on Dundridge Native to William Kenendy.

It goes back a little further than that however.

Basically the brothers are keen to try different approaches and they decided to try and use different jockeys a little more as they think jockeys all ride differently from each other and William Kennedy among others was offered to ride some work on the Lewes gallops.

Robert thought the rides were his and told the trainer so in no uncertain manner. Tom told him they alone choose who rides and they have now ended the deal between themselves.

Robert will, I have been told has moved to Lambourn and try to cement a working relationship with trainer Carl Llewellyn.

Meanwhile former jockey and racing tipster Ray Goldsteins son Marc has moved back to Lewes and will start to ride for the Best brothers along with Will Kennedy.

Basically the trouble has been that the majority of the horses are below average and after winning very poor races a lot of the time the handicapper has clobbered them pretty hard.

Sad how it turned out but not many jockeys are in a position to tell trainers that they are duty bound to get every ride.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Seagull, Jim was on the box yesterday explaining the situation. He didn’t go into the detail you have, but he was quite open about the fact that they had had a difference of opinion with the jockey.

Colin

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

As a side issue, I hope jockey, R L-Butler has cleared his head as I believe he has good chance on ATTORNEY GENERAL at Haydock at a good price.

I hope all parties sort things in an amicable manner, and most importantly, to the benfit of all parties.

regards,

doyley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.