The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RUK and Virgin media

Home Forums Horse Racing RUK and Virgin media

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

I have picked up on another media forum that RUK will remain part of XL package until next summer at least….

Interesting that although the XL package advertised on Virgin no longers includes Setanta (of course) they havent removed RUK

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

And everyone else on Sky is expected to stump up the £20 plus another £10 if they want to view ESPN’s coverage of premership football (which I believe is also free on XL).

bluechariot
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

I think it is only ESPN that is included in the XL package. RUK will be 20 per month on Virgin

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

At moment we have ESPN, ATR which is free and RUK although they have no said that from 17th August it is £20 a month which is a lot on top of what we already pay.

ESPN should work with RUK so the top British festivals get shown in USA television and RUK can show top USA races in a complimentary arrangement.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

You know Neil, that’s a brilliant idea.I wonder whether they will take the bull by the horns. Setanta didn’t fancy HRTV (the second American channel) as they didn’t feel there was a big enough market. That was a mistake, I felt. With the exception on New York, they had some of the serious tracks running for them.

As it stands, the only way I will re-subscribe to RUK is if they do something with American racing. Not because I don’t rate the service – I do – but it’s evening only for me for the foreseeable future and even if I do resubscribe, it will be from next Spring as, unlike ninety percent of TRF, I only ever bet on steeplechasers if I’m at the point of ending it all due to boredom.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Qute fro the RUK website:

"The free-to-air coverage will continue until August 16 – two days before York’s Ebor Festival starts – before encryption

Would anyone know if "

encryption"

infers that there will be an added time-delay with picture delivery henceforth on RUK?
    If such is to be the case, I think I may decline to re-subscribe to RUK directly. As close as is possible to real-time pictures is an important issue to me.

Thanks in advance.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Would anyone know if "

encryption"

infers that there will be an added time-delay with picture delivery henceforth on RUK?

‘Encryption’ just means that the RUK channel will be made unavailable to all non-subscribers.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Cheers Fella, thank you for that.
    I was concerned that putting the live-feed signal through an encryption mechanism might add a time-delay to the delivery.

So, no worries on that score, then.

Dolus
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

This is the latest news story I can find dated August 6th.
    http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2009/08/06/v … racing-uk/

It doesn’t say how the service is to be implemented. I suppose it depends how many XL customers actually watched RUK and whether RUK would settle for guaranteed sum from Virgin or risk that only a small number of Virgin customers would subscribe.

Whatever happens I don’t suppose we will find out until we switch on next Monday.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

£20!!!!!!!!!! My god that’s steep isn’t it! I’m certainly not paying that!! Surely they can’t justify this? Was only £13 with the setanta package!!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

£20 is a reasonable amount imo and I have no problems whatsoever in signing up. It’s not so good value as it was when part of Setanta’s package but I still think its a pretty good deal.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

£20 is a reasonable amount imo and I have no problems whatsoever in signing up. It’s not so good value as it was when part of Setanta’s package but I still think its a pretty good deal.

I agree.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

I would disagree with that in the present financial climate, from £12.99 previously to a combined £32 for RUK & Setanta’s replacement ESPN.
    While some of us can afford it, others clearly can’t at a time when we should clearly trying to attract people to the sport. I was surprised they didn’t go totally free to air for the last 2 months in an effort to try and attract new customers.
    Their coverage of the sport also leaves something to desire with the lack of paddock and going to post shots.
    It will be interesting to see how many subscribers they get compared with previously.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

While some of us can afford it, others clearly can’t at a time

when we should clearly trying to attract people to the sport.

Surely this is irrelevant when a business has to be run?

As much as I’ll dislike having to pay a cup of tea a day to continue to get RUK, watching is important to my enjoyment of the sport so I’ll do it.

Trying to balance things out, I used to pay £20 per month, then got it reduced to £15 when they became part of Setanta and for the past couple of years have got it free as part of the XL pack so really, I’ve had a couple of bonus free years is a positive way of looking at it.

Also, if they do start charging me another £20 the VIP pack they are offering for £88 becomes a bit more interesting when all the components are compared to current packages.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

we should clearly trying to attract people to the sport.

RUK could start by getting their online payment sorted out. :evil:

As regards the price, 67p per day is fair enough imo. Hopefully they’ll do more features and extended interviews. Also keep the bookie reps to a slot at the start of a broadcast, where they belong.

Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

Would appear to be no fixed contract just a two month minimum term and cancellation period. So for us Jumps fan we can start in October and stop in April.

marko
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85

I am a virgin media subscriber and am now getting a message displayed whenever I switch to ESPN or RacingUk.

The ESPN message says that the channel will soon be encrypted, but will be included in the XL package. The RacingUk message says that the channel will soon be encrypted and that you must phone to subscribe at £20.

So it looks like ESPN is to be included in the XL package but RacingUk is not!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.