The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ruby…

Home Forums Horse Racing Ruby…

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

if you can’t handle people’s opinions then become a librarian.

If holding opinions and being a librarian are regarded as mutually exclusive, then I’d better dry up or jack in my day job as a Chartered Librarian* straight away…

gc

(* I kid you not!)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The question was perfectly valid, although it could possibly have been couched differently.

It was also a question that had to be asked and if Thompson had not asked it someone else would.

Ruby Walsh as the stable jockey clearly know both horses and he had the choice.He made the wrong choice and it is perfectly valid to ask him if he regrets his decision. It is also valid to ask him why he made the wrong decision.

His churlish response does him no credit whatsoever.

I wonder how many of those who are criticising Thompson for asking the question are also amongst those who also criticise the racing press for not being rigourous enough in their questioning and challenging of those in the industry.

I further wonder how many are complaining because of who asked the question and not what the actual question was?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

To ask ANYONE such a rhetorical question shortly after they have suffered one of the biggest disappointments of their career shows a TOTAL lack of understanding for human nature never mind a sportsman who operates at the highest levels of his profession. To do it in front of millions, well…. my 7 year old nephew has more cop on.

Linking that idiocy with questioning and challenging the industry is not correct imo.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I further wonder how many are complaining because of who asked the question and not what the actual question was?

Not at all, Paul. Heaven knows the man asks enough questions – of varying degres of worth – in his professional capacity; but as CR points out, it was specifically this one, and the time, manner and place in which it was asked, that demonstrated a notable lack of judgment.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Completely disagree that Nicholls couldn’t do without Walsh. Thomas has shown on numerous times this year that he can do just as good a job when required. I really don’t think that Nicholls would have less success if Thomas was his retained rider.

There is more to a stable jockeys job than just turning up on the big day and riding winners. Willie Mullins possibly would not have won the Ballymore Properties Novice hurdle if with were not for Walsh’s advice as to where to send the horse.

JohnJ.

Spot on JJ

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932
    Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Ruby only gave him that advise so that he could ride for Nicholls in the Supreme!

Completely disagree that Nicholls couldn’t do without Walsh. Thomas has shown on numerous times this year that he can do just as good a job when required. I really don’t think that Nicholls would have less success if Thomas was his retained rider.

There is more to a stable jockeys job than just turning up on the big day and riding winners. Willie Mullins possibly would not have won the Ballymore Properties Novice hurdle if with were not for Walsh’s advice as to where to send the horse.

JohnJ.

Spot on JJ

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

JohnJ.

Of course there is. But Thomas has a tongue in his head like Ruby and can obviously give feedback. I wouldn’t know this, but I’d suspect that Thomas would do more schooling than Ruby as well.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Much as i love Ruby as a jockey he can make Mccoy seem like Dettori on occasions. I remember him once on the Morning Line where he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle…

Overall i think these immediate questions after the race do no one any good. Can anyone remember anything that has been said that has ever been of real interest?

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I would say Thomas does more schooling as Walsh races in Ireland also. I think Nicholls considers himself very lucky to have two top jockeys in his stable.

JohnJ

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

All things considered it was a somewhat silly question at probably the wrong time.

But Ruby must keep on board he is not only a sportsman, but he is involved in the entertainment industry.

I sincerely hope he doesn’t become as nasty as his father can be at times… :(

regards,

doyley

batman
    • Total Posts 489

?

I am glad Sam Thomas won – I hope he keeps the ride next year and for ever more and I hope Nicholls makes him stable jockey. If Walsh cannot break the tie with Mullins then Nicholls needs to act and Sam proved today he is the best jockey riding today.

why? cause he won the gold cup ? Most Jockies would have won that race Denman was so good, to say he is best Jockey is a little bit much IMO

batman
    • Total Posts 489

I did cringe when Tommo asked it, but you know what it wasn’t that bad a question at the end of the day. I mean i guess Ruby did ultimately make the wrong choice based on winners – but the answer actually showed how un-loyal and rather selfish Ruby actually is. If he had answered "Actually no i’m glad i picked Kauto as he’s given me some of the best winners of my life including last years Gold cup…etc etc" then good on him. That’s loyalty you know? But the answer showed that he doesn’t care about that, doesn’t care about Kauto as a horse itself. He’s just in it for the money and getting winners. Which i thought was really sad considering Kauto Star gave him the Gold cup last year and many other amazing victories.
    The answer should have been that he was glad he rode Kauto, but it wasn’t and to me that’s really sad. I’m personally still glad i backed him rather than Denman even though i backed more than what i could afford – i’d never consider changing my allegiance. As his jockey and considering what they’ve both won previously he should have been more loyal.

and you know this how?

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Sam Thomas the best jockey about? That’s the funniest thing I have heard for a while. David Blunkett could have won on Denman!

The best jockeys are the ones who boot home horses who have no right to win (step forward Ruby, AP, Richard Johnson etc), not the ones who ride big race winners on horses who should win by a country mile.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I did cringe when Tommo asked it, but you know what it wasn’t that bad a question at the end of the day. I mean i guess Ruby did ultimately make the wrong choice based on winners – but the answer actually showed how un-loyal and rather selfish Ruby actually is. If he had answered "Actually no i’m glad i picked Kauto as he’s given me some of the best winners of my life including last years Gold cup…etc etc" then good on him. That’s loyalty you know? But the answer showed that he doesn’t care about that, doesn’t care about Kauto as a horse itself. He’s just in it for the money and getting winners. Which i thought was really sad considering Kauto Star gave him the Gold cup last year and many other amazing victories.
    The answer should have been that he was glad he rode Kauto, but it wasn’t and to me that’s really sad. I’m personally still glad i backed him rather than Denman even though i backed more than what i could afford – i’d never consider changing my allegiance. As his jockey and considering what they’ve both won previously he should have been more loyal.

and you know this how?

Errr because of the reply he gave… The answer he gave showed he obviously wished he picked Denman, correct?? Therefore where was his loyalty to the horse that gave him such fantastic wins including the gold cup 12 months ago. He stated previously that Kauto star was the best horse he’s ever ridden. Yet gave the reply showing he wished he’d ridden Denman – the winner. That’s not what it should be about. If that’s not about the money / getting winners at big meetings then what on earth was it about. Fair enough to him – all jockeys wish to have big winners. Just thought someone like walsh would have had a bit more loyalty.

thejackal
    • Total Posts 50

Willie Mullins consistently produces some top horse so no reason why Ruby would not want to keep a foot in the door

Anyway the fact that Ruby is married to a ‘Mullins’ is another valid reason why he would feel loyal or maintain a relationship with Willie

I don’t think he needs to worry about his job at Ditcheat at all – he is an excellent jockey and any trainer would beg to have him ride their horses. Anyway i don’t think the relationship is impacting Nicholls big race plans too much as Ruby normally rides for him anyway and Thomas is an able deputy in his absence

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Whilst the dialogue made me smile, I haven’t seen the clip yet.

However, some of the reactions on here seem unfair.

Doyley, I don’t think Ruby has to remember he’s in ‘entertainment’ at all. His loyalties are to himself and his health and safety as a sportsman, then to trainer, owner and horse, then to the betting public.

Entertainment is strictly down to the likes of Derek and his production team etc. Dettori may set a precedent in playing up the crowd, but it’s not the job description.

I personally think it was an utterly bloody stupid question, and suspect that when I watch the exchange it will have been executed in Tommo’s usual graceless, clumsy style.

As for Ruby being ‘out for number one’, a jockey’s professional life is limited. Of course he wants to keep a foot in the door with Mullins if the agreement is workable for all involved – and it clearly is or the Kauto / Denman choice would never have been offered. His priority is understandable to win and earn as much as possible and thus far I think he’s done a bloody good job keeping it so well balanced.

And in so far as his answer sounding ‘churlish’ – well if you’d chosen the existing Gold Cup winner and the latest ‘new Desert Orchid / Arkle / Pegasus – delete as appropriate’ and seen him blown away by a new champion who could be even better, effectively with your understudy now keeping the ride, you’d probably be a bit hacked off to have some cartoony tv presenter ramming a microphone under your nose just as you’re forced to come to terms with the end result of a decision that probably took at least a year in the making all told.

Nice work Ruby, in my opinion! :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.