The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA Chase 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics RSA Chase 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 528 through 544 (of 553 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1511

Also what happened Diamond Harry…couldn’t live with Citizen Vic Pace up front.

Pulled up? :oops: :oops: :oops:

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Long Run will eventually stay this trip, there was a difference between trainer and owner where they wanted to take Long Run, Henderson wanted to go to The Arkle and Waley-Cohen overruled him, and I’m sure the 2m was Hendersons last gasp effort to get him in The Arkle.

Next season I would want him at Sandown, see if he can challenge at 2m, if not the Ryanair, if so the Queen Mother then all systems go at The Gold Cup.

I think he was far too young to be battling it out with expereinced stayers. Still a very exciting prospect and I wouldn’t give up on him.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

It seems to me that Henderson is a very good trainer of hurdlers. His rate of conversion of horses into established successful chasers seems quite poor.
    Already have my doubts we`ll see much of Punchestowns in seasons to come

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Weapon’s Amnesty has been touted as a potential Gold Cup horse next season and I’ve heard one quote of 10/1. In my opinion, I think that’s terrible value and would be very surprised to see him progress to that level, likable as he is. He clearly likes Cheltenham and stays very well, but I’d be more interested in Burton Port as a novice stepping up next season and challenging in that sphere.quote]

I disagree completely. Long Run was smashed by Weapon’s Amnesty today, and over the extra 2f of a Gold Cup I can’t see Long Run reversing the form with a 100% Weapon’s Amnesty. Does anyone know what price Cooldine was for the Gold Cup after his RSA win, because Weapon’s Amnesty better a better field just as easily. Brilliant prospect.

• Total Posts 1982

Weapon’s Amnesty has been touted as a potential Gold Cup horse next season and I’ve heard one quote of 10/1. In my opinion, I think that’s terrible value and would be very surprised to see him progress to that level, likable as he is. He clearly likes Cheltenham and stays very well, but I’d be more interested in Burton Port as a novice stepping up next season and challenging in that sphere.

I disagree completely. Long Run was smashed by Weapon’s Amnesty today, and over the extra 2f of a Gold Cup I can’t see Long Run reversing the form with a 100% Weapon’s Amnesty. Does anyone know what price Cooldine was for the Gold Cup after his RSA win, because Weapon’s Amnesty better a better field just as easily. Brilliant prospect.

Long Run is only five and having just his third start in this country. When Nicky and Yogi Breisner iron out those little jumping errors you will see an almost unbeatable machine.

Weapon’s Amnesty won’t know what hit him when he meets a stronger, more streetwise Long Run in the future.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Bosranic" wrote:

Weapon’s Amnesty has been touted as a potential Gold Cup horse next season and I’ve heard one quote of 10/1. In my opinion, I think that’s terrible value and would be very surprised to see him progress to that level, likable as he is. He clearly likes Cheltenham and stays very well, but I’d be more interested in Burton Port as a novice stepping up next season and challenging in that sphere.

Long Run is only five and having just his third start in this country. When Nicky and Yogi Breisner iron out those little jumping errors you will see an almost unbeatable machine.

Weapon’s Amnesty won’t know what hit him when he meets a stronger, more streetwise Long Run in the future.

Not round Cheltenham lad, I just can’t see it. I don’t think Weapon’s Amnesty is getting enough credit for this win. All the talk was of how Long Run and Punchestowns coudn’t win, but at the end of the day they couldn’t live with Weapon’s Amnesty when Davy Russell let the handbrake off.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Does anyone know what price Cooldine was for the Gold Cup after his RSA win

He was best priced 10/1. I know because I backed him about 2 minutes after the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Cheers Zarkava, in that case I think 10/1 is pretty fair on Weapon’s Amnesty. If Long Run had won that easily today you wouldn’t see any 10/1.

• Total Posts 1046

Extreme care is needed here I think.

Weapons thoroughly deserved the win, traveling strongly on good ground and settling a tough race in strides. Excellent win.

However, for the future, I wouldn’t be taking any price about any of the horses. I wanted Long Run in the Arkle and Punchy in the Ryanair. There have to be doubts now – which I wasn’t keen to see pre-race – about them both as 3m+ horses. I certainly can’t knock either as they gave everything, but if for whatever reasons they haven’t run to their very best, then what Weapons did to them must be viewed accordingly. Long Run is so young and he emptied fairly rapidly, whilst Punchy could never get on terms despite traveling fairly well. Both lacking (British) experience and, perhaps, ideal preparation (P) and conditions (LR). The comment also about Henderson’s chasers is very fair.

Weapons superb on the day, is good enough for now, for me.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Pissed off with Punchestown.

He is still a very good horse and certainly did not disappoint in last year’s World Hurdle.

Fact is he is not a natural jumper and never really got into the race.

I think he will end up going back to hurdles and winning plenty more good races.

I had a small E/W on Weapons and I agree with the other forumite that said he is a better prospect than Cooldine at the same moment in time.

He has much more pace and stays.

I think some of the Long Run hyperbole can now be sent to the naughty corner.

Zip

• Total Posts 1982

Best prices for novice chasers in 2011 Gold Cup:

WEAPON’S AMNESTY 12/1
    PUNCHESTOWNS 16/1
    BURTON PORT 20/1
    LONG RUN 20/1
    DIAMOND HARRY 25/1
    PANDORAMA 25/1
    SOMERSBY 25/1
    WEIRD AL 25/1

I think Burton Port will emerge as the leading second season candidate. He jumps soundly and stayed on really well up the hill. Connections will surely have him ridden with more confidence next season.

He clearly goes to Aintree with a big chance in the Mildmay Novices’ Chase.

Nicky Henderson’s post-race comments:

"We didn’t expect Burton Port to finish first of the three, but he has run so well it’s not true. Long Run lunged at a couple, but it almost looked like he didn’t stay. He’s only a baby and we will iron those kinks out.

"Punchestowns (later reported to have returned sore) cannot have been quite right. He lost a shoe from the foot that was giving him a problem at some point in the race. That obviously doesn’t help."

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

THe only thing is that as French bred, he is not guaranteed to get better with age.

SHL

detroit orchid
    • Total Posts 64

as expected WA not getting the credit he deserves by some on this thread

i think he’s a quite lazy horse who struggles during slow run races, he has jumped sloppily at times before today.

but give him a quicker run race and he’s electric, the jump at the last was the moment of this years festival so far

i think he’s a ready made gold cup winner

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Cheltenham should have better ground than that at Leopardstown yesterday and i would confidently bet that

Weapons Amnesty

will beat Pandorama in the RSA! Davy Russell seriously over did the waiting tactics yesterday and was basically beaten by the ground!Oh yes if Mikael fails to get to Cheltenham this year,i can see myself recovering my losses with interest on this fellow!Long Run is still too novicey! Weird Al would be a danger to all as he is a very lightly raced but fast improving sort!

Foresight from Dec 28th! :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Cheltenham should have better ground than that at Leopardstown yesterday and i would confidently bet that

Weapons Amnesty

will beat Pandorama in the RSA! Davy Russell seriously over did the waiting tactics yesterday and was basically beaten by the ground!Oh yes if Mikael fails to get to Cheltenham this year,i can see myself recovering my losses with interest on this fellow!Long Run is still too novicey! Weird Al would be a danger to all as he is a very lightly raced but fast improving sort!

There has been a significant market move for

Weapons Amnesty

tonight and is now trading at 10/1 across the board,he was trading at 17 on the machine only a couple of days ago! He certainly ticks all the RSA boxes!

Jan 17th, Money talks!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Weapons Amnesty

And he has just done the same again today,he gave the winner a 15 length head start,thats twice now Davy Russell has been beaten on Weapons Amnesty over doing it! :roll:

Feb 7th, more signs he was being laid out for the big one!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I have small wagers on both Long run and Diamond Harry at good prices to recover my inevitable losses on Mikael,but i have 2 good bets on

Weird Al

and

Weapons Amnesty

as i see both as major players and have done for some time,Weird Al is the dark horse of the race as he is still improving and only does whats asked of him,there is more to come! there"s much more to come from bloody Davy Russell too! I think he is taking his horses name a bit too literally at the moment as when he unleashes Weapons Amnestys armoury he will take a bit of beating,we just haven"t seen the "peace talks" break down yet Davy? They will in the RSA! :wink:

Poetry! :wink:

Viewing 17 posts - 528 through 544 (of 553 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.