The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Royal Ascot Vs Epsom Derby Day

Home Forums Horse Racing Royal Ascot Vs Epsom Derby Day

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bigpike89
    • Total Posts 13

Right, well at the advice of the many nice people here, I went to Cheltenham Gold CUp day and it was brilliant.

Next on my list after my usual Saturday day at Aintree (I’m from Liverpool) is either Epsom or Royal Ascot on Tuesday as I believe this is the best day?

What would be better to go to?

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I went to Ascot Tuesday last year and I get the impression that Epsom will definitely have the better atmosphere.

Saying that though, I’m going to Ascot Tuesday again this year as I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Derby day :oops:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Why what is it thats wrong with derby day, out of curiosity?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

It used to be run on a Wednesday :)

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Saturday races saves me using anual leave.

Tuesday of Royal Ascot is the best day of the meeting too my mind.

I have never been the Epsom Derby so i cannot comment.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

It used to be run on a Wednesday :)

Ah yes I’ve heard about that mate, but I’m only 20 :wink:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Excuses – I’m only 23 :wink:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Excuses – I’m only 23 :wink:

I’m just scared that if I pick Ascot, I’ll be at a meeting similair to Aintree’s ‘ladies day’ where everyone is just there on a ‘social day out’ eyeing up clothes, getting smashed on champagne, eyeing up tarts – ANYTHING BUT the horses basically.

I want to be at the one where men (seen a few girls too) have there heads buried in there timeform racecards and are quoting from Mark Howard Publications :D (actually found a decent fella doing this over a pint with me at Cheltenham, Posh as anyone I’ve ever met but hey, he was a decent sort)

I want to be at the meeting where there racing to the parade ring, not the bar or checking whether there tie is straight.

Another thing, (and yes, I know, fat chance, plus a scouser in the royal enclosure?haha) but how do the ones that do, get in there? By application and long waiting list?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

No danger of anyone being interested in the horses at either Ascot or Aintree.

Thing is at Ascot the tarts want champagne and at Aintree they only want a pint of bitter :lol:

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Why what is it thats wrong with derby day, out of curiosity?

Nothing wrong with it :D

Im just superstitious and enjoy watching the Derby on the tele.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Well I’ve just plucked for the Tuesday@ Royal Ascot :)

Cheaper trains of a Tuesday down to London than of a weekend (when the Epsom Derby is) :D

• Total Posts 1688

If you’re worried about attending a racemeeting which has transformed into more of a socialite’s venture, skip Royal Ascot and Epsom – try Goodwood or York instead.

No comment though. As far as I know, any major meeting in antipodean country will see 90% of the attendees not see a single horse all day.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

No comment though. As far as I know, any major meeting in antipodean country will see 90% of the attendees not see a single horse all day.

Sadly the same can be said of a large number of the "big" meetings here as well.

As for which is "better" out of Ascot and Epsom it is a difficult comparison to make – it is like comparing apples with pears.

Although The Derby is the bigger race, "across the card" the quality of racing at Ascot will probably be higher.

Both will be busy and both have different atmospheres. If you want a really unique atmosphere then The Hill on Derby Day is something else and free if you don’t bring a car – OK you don’t see that much of the racing (although there are plenty of big screens) but the atmosphere is something else.

I would recommend going down to the start of the Derby – you can get really close to the runners and you can actually feel the tension amongst the jockeys – even Dettori usually cuts out the joking. When the gates open you can feel the power of the runners emerging from the stalls. The course also have speakers at the start so you can still hear the commentary.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

As an alternative during Royal Ascot week, you could always head many hundreds of miles west instead and take in the first ever meeting at the new racetrack at Ffos Las – Thursday June 18th (evening).

Lovely summer jumps (mostly class 3 fare) at a dramatic new venue, and unlikely to be quite so inundated with racing-ambivalent socialites.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

As an alternative during Royal Ascot week, you could always head many hundreds of miles west instead and take in the first ever meeting at the new racetrack at Ffos Las – Thursday June 18th (evening).

Lovely summer jumps (mostly class 3 fare) at a dramatic new venue, and unlikely to be quite so inundated with racing-ambivalent socialites.

gc

Ive had to abort my Ffos Las trip as the Pet Shop Boys are playing at Manchester but it means i dont have to do the 4hr45m train ride to Llanelli.

Another meeting to do in Royal Ascot week is Worcester on the Wednesday, a lovley track when its not a boating arena and a very small crowd means you can move at leisure.

Best day of Ascot is the first day as it has the best race of the whole week, no not the St James Palace,Queen Anne or Kings Stand but the 2m4f Ascot Stakes, a proper horse race with proper horses which only needs 10 flights to make it better than the Gold Cup.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

gc

the 4hr45m train ride to Llanelli.

Best day of Ascot is the first day as it has the best race of the whole week, no not the St James Palace,Queen Anne or Kings Stand but the 2m4f Ascot Stakes, a proper horse race with proper horses which only needs 10 flights to make it better than the Gold Cup.

haha exactly what I was thinking mate, the train to Ffos Las looks a bummer, and you’ve taught me an Ascot lesson there I thought the St James was the big race!

Might just go down to Llanelli though for that first meeting. Aren’;t EVENING jumps meetings usually poor quality though? (especially when its classed as ‘Ladies Day’)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

There are always exceptions, and it looks like they’ve deliberately made sure the opening Ffos Las card is pitched at a level where they can hopefully guarantee some decent-sized fields and still attract some better-than-rubbish horses.

To that end, many of the races are class 3 contests. APracing printed the precise terms of each race on here a few weeks back – from memory I think there are a couple of 0-125 handicaps.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.