The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Royal Ascot

Home Forums Horse Racing Royal Ascot

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Longchamp Lad
    • Total Posts 35

Just a light-hearted question, but were there any true racing enthusiasts there last week? It seems to be such a social occasion where the horses are pushed into the background that I’d be interested in views. I know I get frustrated at Longchamp on Arc day when it’s so difficult to move around but as most seem to be British or Irish genuine race-goers I can live with that (especially last year with all the Japanese). I actually prefer the Saturday of the Arc weekend when the quality of racing is still high but the crowds significantly less.

So, how does Ascot rate as a race-going experience?

LL

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I went…….it was mostly feckin’ horrible.

aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

No. Doesn’t appeal to me as a racing spectacle. Too many posers and toffs I am afraid to say.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

I went on Tuesday and thought  it was fantastic.

Yes, it is irritating that so many see the meet as a social occasion and couldn’t care about the racing, but there are plenty of hardened racegoers who do attend , and around the bars it is a veritable who’s who of racing .I even saw many faces from  the ‘National Hunt ‘ game there too.

And as for those who don’t attend due to the new surroundings,  they really need to think back to the way things actually were at the old track and drag themselves into the here and now, because the changes are, imho, a leap forwards into a different stratosphere ; a course which now stands comparison – and more – with any track around the world. <br>

(Edited by ClintM at 8:51 pm on June 25, 2007)

aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Agreed Clint. Things were dated when I went to the 2002 King George meeting. How much better (or worse) is it now? John Spearing says its like Birmingham Airport!

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

I’ve never been there, but if Spearing is right, Birmingham must have a nice airport. ;)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I went every day and loved every minute – well except for the rain storm before the Golden Jubilee!

I think there are loads of genuine racegoers there and it is not too difficult to avoid the other ones.  Everywhere I looked people were buried in Racing Posts or their racecards and I don’t think  it matters a jot if people have got all dressed up – I think it is part of the popularity and charm of the event.

I also know some keen racegoers who went for the first time and with trepidation because of the perceived problems.  I spoke to them today and they loved it too – quoting the space – especially on the higher levels – the easy access to the bars and tote, as well as the general feel of the place.

I don’t think you can compare it to the previous grandstand.  You just take it for what it is – a really modern facility which will mature (the topiary is already softening it around the parade ring) and be comparable with other great race courses around the world.

Like people who are put off by the perceived crowds at Cheltenham I just say try it for yourself and you’ll probably really enjoy it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Quote: from Longchamp Lad on 8:55 pm on June 25, 2007[br]Just a light-hearted question, but were there any true racing enthusiasts there last week? It seems to be such a social occasion where the horses are pushed into the background that I’d be interested in views. I know I get frustrated at Longchamp on Arc day when it’s so difficult to move around but as most seem to be British or Irish genuine race-goers I can live with that (especially last year with all the Japanese). I actually prefer the Saturday of the Arc weekend when the quality of racing is still high but the crowds significantly less.

So, how does Ascot rate as a race-going experience?

LL<br>

<br>        Don’t worry,Longchamp,there is such a crowd only for the Arc day in France.It’s the same for harness racing for the Prix D’Amerique day.<br>       Even it could be embarassing sometimes when there are so many people,it’s better than seeing only a handful of keen racegoers like it is in France.<br>       Don’t remember that sponsoring is much more important in English races than in French ones because of that.<br>   As a French,I am very envious to see the passion around all the big English races.I watched the Grand National and I think it would better to feel the atmosphere on the field.<br>      

Jim JTSJim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I could only ever wish to go, it must be amazing to be there even for one day, I’d want to go all five days though, it’s my favourite meeting by far.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Used to go, but not any more.  Prefer the gaffs on weekdays nowadays.

Birmingham must have a nice airport.

<br>It does.  But don’t leave your motor unattended in the drop-off or it will become the victim of a controlled explosion.

What a day that was.

Mike

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

they really need to think back to the way things actually were at the old track and drag themselves into the here and now, because the changes are, imho, a leap forwards into a different stratosphere ; a course which now stands comparison – and more – with any track around the world.

<br>Tend to agree. The old british problems with anything that looks "modern". The old stands were horrible and the trek to and from the paddock…..

Interesting some positive comments here. Maybe ill give it a go again next year

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/

Greg Wood writes today of the "shabby treatment of ordinary folk" at Ascot last week. Totally agree.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I went punting for all five days. Tuesday was excellent thanks  to having had two days to study the card. You could also get from parade ring to betting ring relatively unscathed. Wednesday wasn’t bad but then it all deteriorated into a drunken haze after race 3 on ladies’ day. Shame as I had intended to back Eddie Jock. Sobered up slightly on Friday – managed to back Binanti (mostly place) but still lost on the day despite drawing £1900 off the tote. Saturday, hitherto known as Black Saturday (couldn’t say that in the Big Brother house :) ) was a punting disaster, despite having had a £1000/£160 the last winner.

Biggest downer for me, apart from Gestapo stopping you getting into the bettign ring, was inability to get phone signal (Vodafone) nine times out of ten – bit annoying when you’re trying to ring Betfair to lay George Washington for a place.

aphardyaphardy
    • Total Posts 190

A girl from my office went along and had a great time. Even though the weather was abysmal, the tip I gave her for Third Set appalling, and the champagne was £70 a bottle.

And she didn’t see one horse the entire day!

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

I was there all week working; but can’t say I enjoyed it that much.

The grandstand might be a fabulous structure but it just doesn’t offer anything to the ordinary racegoer. I would regard an ‘ordinary’ racegoer as someone who can’t afford a box and someone who doesn’t want to get totally wasted on overpriced alcohol.

You can walk around the entire Tatts enclosure in five minutes..nothing takes your attention and actually stops you walking. Going to Ascot racecourse must be like eating a prawn sandwich at Old Trafford. I pray for a backlash but it won’t happen. Corporate corporate corporate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.