The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Royal Ascot

Home Forums Horse Racing Royal Ascot

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Apart from the fashion coverage – WHY oh why do commentators ALWAYS make a point of saying something along the lines of "Her Majesty’s very knowledgable about racing/horses".?<br>YES – we know she is – every goddam commentator since John Rickman has been telling us – WE DON’T NEED TO BE TOLD AGAIN: SHUT THE FKCU UP…. aaaaaaargh ********.<br>Are they trying to ingratiate themselves with Her Maj so that they can get an OBE or something? Why can’t they just bung New Labour a few hundred grand like everyone else and STOP REPEATING THIS IMBECILIC DRIVEL. Yes Clare, yes Rishi, yes Willie, yes all you ponces doing the fashion, yes Cornelius Lysaght – WE KNOW SHE’S NO DIVVY WHEN IT COMES TO THE GEE GEES. Gordon Bennet – give it a rest.

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

whit is that posturing ponce sherwood aboot?

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Quote: from class tells on 7:47 pm on June 21, 2007[br]whit is that posturing ponce sherwood aboot?

I was trying to think of one word to describe and and the best I could come up with was ‘Odious’.

Can anyone beat that?

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

gobs**t
    e,homnabulist,cheezer,bahookie,fud,clopper,to name but a few

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Can’t stand any of it. Completely soils (or spoils)  the racing. Hate the dress code and snobbery. Once saw a drunken gaggle of top hats and tails fall into a flower bed and lie there, giggling and crushing the plants. Not one attendant ventured near.<br>Try getting in without the necessary refinery. Unless you are an IMPORTANT owner/trainer, not a chance.

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

"crushing the plants and giggling"  I can’t think of two worse crimes :o<br>

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Can’t stand any of it. Completely soils (or spoils)  the racing. Hate the dress code and snobbery. Once saw a drunken gaggle of top hats and tails fall into a flower bed and lie there, giggling and crushing the plants. Not one attendant ventured near. <br>Try getting in without the necessary refinery. Unless you are an IMPORTANT owner/trainer, not a chance.

Completely agree

I live just up the road but never really think about going now. Its not inevrted snobbery but simply that i dislike the atmosphere (i actually quite like the new development etc). Tacky is the best word for it

For whatever reason, i find Goodwood far more appealing and dare i say…classier

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5825

Agree with you Clivex.

Goodwood is in a fantastic setting up on "The Downs".

Leave the "chav types" to Ascot.:biggrin:

Regards – Matron<br>:cool:

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Quote: from Librettist on 7:50 pm on June 21, 2007[br]<br>I was trying to think of one word to describe and and the best I could come up with was ‘Odious’.

Can anyone beat that?<br>

<br>Oleagenous? Ostentatious? Or just plain ‘Orrible?

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Glorious Goodwood can be just as bad. The other year they dispensed with the obligatory jacket (must be worn with shirt and tie etc.) on one of the days, as it was extremely hot. <br>The following day (just as sweltering) the powers that be refused to relax this rule again. Unfortunately a hapless individual arrived without his jacket as he’d been there the day before. Would they let him in, even though he had a paid ticket? No. He had to go with the lesser mortals in the cheaper section.<br>All racecourse act accordingly on prestigious meetings. It’s the dress code. <br>Ascot just goes one step further with their top hat and tails. When you know what some of the people are like, who are dressed in this manner, it makes you want to roar with laughter.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Nor1, if the hapless racegoer had worn a dress and a hat would he have been allowed into Goodwood?

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Yes, Wallace, which makes it even more ridiculous. Ladies can have almost nothing on and that is fine.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I know a guy who was working at Goodwood at the last Friday evening meet and was very nearly denied access to the members enclosure as he had left his jacket up in the stands.  In order to carry out his job he had to have full access to the rails bookmakers, hence his reason for being there!  Ridiculous.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.