The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Roy Keane

Home Forums General Sports Roy Keane

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Sunderland’s decision to install Roy Keane as manager, with Niall Quinn claiming beforehand that they were about to install a ‘world class manager’, is a bold and fascinating move.

My view is that Keane, world class player though he may have been, will struggle badly at the helm. The qualities that marked him out as a top player, aggression, his will to win and ability to motivate those around him, will clearly be useful attributes in the dressing room.  

However, Keane is not short of character flaws and his past record suggests to me that he will struggle. To succeed in today’s managerial world you need to be thick skinned, diplomatic and possess an ability to compromise. Keane is over-sensitive to criticism, won’t deal well with the media (can you imagine him at a post match press conference when, under pressure and having been stuffed 3-0, some sarky journalist asks a difficult question about his ability!). He doesn’t seem comfortable with the all important corporate side of things and his famous lack of patience with those he considers fools is likely to be tested very quickly.

I think Quinn made a mistake installing himself as manager and I think he’s made another major rick with Keane. If Keane is still manager in a year’s time I’ll be more than suprised.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

A very interesting appointment Corm. <br>Many top class footballers have been duds at managing – just as top jockeys don’t always make the grade as trainers.<br>Sunderland’s pi**-poor start to the season may have made Quinn rush into this. Despite today’s win,  I too won’t be surprised if Keane flops. Enthusiasm, drive, commitment and passion are all well and good, but if you’ve got bugger- all tactical nous there’s only so far those qualities can take you.  Let’s see if he’s got that nous.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Good thread this.

Last week I was of the opinion that Keane would be a dreadful manager for all the reasons outlined. But I’m beginning to change my mind (not because of yesterday’s result, although it is possible the mere presence of Keane might have roused the players to pull their fingers out). He has worked under Ferguson and Clough, two of the greatest British managers ever. Yes, he is sensitive to criticism and impatient, but then so were Clough and Ferguson. He was a good player, but he doesn’t fall into the Glenn Hoddle/Bobby Charlton category of skilled footballers who were unable to relate to less able players in their charge. Keane’s game was built on hard work and utter determination, qualities that any player can show. The clincher for me is the possibility that Brian Kidd may be his number two.

Certainly looking forward to Sunderland v Wolves. Will either side finish with eleven players?

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

A remarkable number of current managers have had Ferguson or Clough as a major influence somewhere down the line.  Keane must have gained some sort of insight from the double whammy.

For me it’s only a question of whether he can be more than a one dimensional ranter.

And I’m very impressed with his six new signings – enough to check out Sunderland’s price (though not enough to actually back them!)

<br>

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

No surprise that his signings consist of  ols Irish/Celtic and United buddies.<br>On balance, I think I’d like him to do well – maybe his "attitude" could make him the Irish Mourinho; surly but successful.<br>As an impartial observer, it’s all very interesting.  

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Looks like I was totally wrong on all counts concerning Keane.<br>He has done an oustanding job in his first season with Sunderland and, hopefully, they’ll go up as champions despite yesterday’s reverse at Colchester.<br>I humbly say I WAS TOTALLY WRONG and offer my congratulations to Roy Keane on his fantastic performance.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve become a part-time Sunderland fan this year: I’m a huge fan of the way they play football, you can see a little bit of Keane in every player there. I’m also gutted, ‘coz about a month/6 weeks ago I saw them at 2/1 for the Championship with Hills and thought it was a steal!

And Cormy, I think you would have been pretty spot on had Keane not made a good start. Unfortunately for yourself, he organised his players so well that he never put himself in a position of real pressure. Now that he’s under pressure at the top end, we may just see the side you predicted, but I hope not.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yep – credit where it’s due, the man has done a great job. Wouldn’t want him as a  brother-in-law (or son-in-law), but wouldn’t mind him as manager of serial under-achievers Chester City.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Quote: from cormack15 on 12:08 pm on April 22, 2007[br]He has done an oustanding job in his first season with Sunderland and, hopefully, they’ll go up as champions despite yesterday’s reverse at Colchester.<br>

Oi

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old:

It’s roy of the rovers<br> in a trilby :biggrin:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.