The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Rogues Gallery

Home Forums Memorials Rogues Gallery

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Awful that I’m posting on this again and so soon.

Rogues Gallery broke his leg at Chester (that’s what appeared to happen). It was truly horrible to see and terribly upsetting. He was just a baby – only 2 years old and I think this was his seventh race already.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

It does seem like a busy schedule for a 2 year old by a stallion who only managed to stay sound for 3 races

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Just checked – it was his ninth race. I don’t know – maybe he liked racing. But I never like two year olds to race so much – or at all if I’m honest. Seems a lot of stress on a body that isn’t physically mature.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16969

I wish they would make the maximum outings as a 2yo max 6 races that is more than enough, it’s just dependent on who the owners are. This poor boy in same ownership as Assault on Rome who raced 10 times as a 2yo.
    RIP Rogues Gallery, maybe they will learn from this, I hope so.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Totally disagree – this is just reactionary nonsense that would be quite offensive to anyone involved with the yard looking in.

Look at the number of two-year-olds Johnston has and how they go on improving through the season. He works with Darley stallions almost exclusively (generally less sound stock than Coolmore’s) and still gets them to keep going well on busy schedules.

Rogue’s Gallery was just one of the unfortunate ones, nothing more to it imo.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

No offence meant towards the yard at all as far as I’m concerned. I’ve been to the yard and the horses are well looked after. Much better than in lots of others I’ve been to. I didn’t make any comment about the yard in particular and I didn’t mean their horses in particular. I meant two year olds.

But my personal opinion is that I don’t like two year olds to race so much. I don’t like three year olds hurdling either. I think it’s too much physical stress on immature bodies. But that’s just my opinion and that’s all it is and I wouldn’t expect everyone to agree with me.

But it was a truly horrible incident to see.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.