The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Riding Out For The Best Possible Placing

Home Forums Horse Racing Riding Out For The Best Possible Placing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Can anyone clarify the rule on this – if indeed there is one. I am thinking in particular about placings beyond 1-4.

andrew_03
    Participant
    • Total Posts 819

I’m sure this must have been discussed hundreds of times…but..how does this work in relation to ‘pacemakers’.

By their very nature are they not being sacrificed for the benefit of another, surely then being deprived of their best possible finish?

Most burn themselves out and if they were human in a 1500 metres would step off the track after about 800 metres, instead they are more or less allowed to finish in their own time.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Can anyone clarify the rule on this – if indeed there is one. I am thinking in particular about placings beyond 1-4.

Every horse which runs in a race shall be run and be seen to be run on its merits. This means the Rider must comply with Instruction H18 and take and be seen to take all other reasonable and permissible measures throughout the race, however it develops, to ensure the horse is given a full opportunity to achieve the best possible placing.
    Show only this ruleView penalty155. (ii)It shall be the duty of the Trainer to give or cause to be given to the Rider of any horse in his care such instructions as are necessary to ensure the horse runs on its merits.

Thanks. Is the rule enforced? I can’t remember a case where a jockey has been pulled up because he has finished tenth on a horse who should have finished sixth. Part of the reason for asking is the number of times Ryan Moore will ease a horse down and not appear to care two hoots where it finishes. To me it looks poor if horses are not ridden out to the line.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

My interpretation in relation to pacemakers is that if the jockey is actively seen to be riding the horse forcefully in order to take up a front running position only to wilt 3 furlongs from the finish and eventually finish tailed off then he should be hauled up in front of the stewards – in terms of the horse being ridden to obtain the best possible placing it’s either a very ill judged ride or incompetence/non-trying.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Depends on how you view ” running to best possible position”.
    If the jockey knows the horse cannot get into the prizemoney there seems no reason to give it a hard time. As an owner, there is no sence in going up the handicap if you have’nt picked up prize money. This easing down when unplaced is more prevalent in flat races. In N/H races there is always a chance one or two may fall and a horse in a remote 6th may get in the frame . There is adifference between a jockey easing down when having no chance and a jockey dropping his hands to influence the result.

I would totally agree that there is no point knocking seven bells out of a horse who can’t win but there is a difference between that and riding out hands and heels to the line.

Cruella
    • Total Posts 108

Sam Thomas received a two-day ban for failing to ride out What A Friend for fifth place in the RSA at Cheltenham, but presumably that was influenced by the fact that prize money went down to sixth place.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Serendipitously, I note that Sally Randell got a seven-day holiday at Newton Abbot yesterday for failing to obtain the best possible finishing position on Shan The Man, fifth in the opener at 66-1, beaten 37l.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

gc

Problem there seemed to be that she simply didn’t put the horse into the race and it stayed on past a couple late on for fifth. That being said, Shan The Man didn’t seem to run an awful lot better or worse than previous very moderate efforts in sellers and points. I’d cheerfully bet against it hosing up in the near future.

There must be a holiday or two at the BHA since the ‘Stewards Room’ is currently only updated to July 29.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

There must be a holiday or two at the BHA since the ‘Stewards Room’ is currently only updated to July 29.

I didn’t realise that they handed out bans to themselves at the BHA. How many times do they have to whip Silvoir to get 8 days in the Bahamas?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.