The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Richard Lee

Home Forums Horse Racing Richard Lee

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

With all due respect to Mr Lee and his love of keeping older horses in training, I noticed the entries for next weeks Towcester meeting included the now 16yo Marked Man. As the horse is 5lb higher than his last winning mark, and looking a bit one paced at the finish in his last race, is enough not enough??. If he does run I hope he gets round in one piece. Lets hope we dont see another "Southerndown" incident from a few years back!!

TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1079

If the horse is still in love with racing why not, I can remember Fred Winter trained Sonny Somers to win at 18yo and in the back of my mind there was a 20yo who won a point-to-point.

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

He’s still loving it on the gallops it seems.

https://twitter.com/#!/JeavonsJames/status/183474990056873985/photo/1

Know the lad riding and I certainly gather from chatting Richard Lee is a very attentive and mindful of his horses and he wouldn’t be in training if he thought he couldn’t or shouldn’t be doing it!

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Quite a few horses 16 and over in world classs eventing, which requires just as much power and stamina as racing.

So long as the jockey understands not to push him over what he’s comfortable with, I think why not if he still enjoys it? Good luck to him 8)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Lets hope we dont see another "Southerndown" incident from a few years back!!

Southerndown was 2l clear and about to defy a mark above 76 for the first time in nearly two years when taking that fatal final-fence fall at Newton Abbot in June 2007.

Posthumously, the

accorded the effort an RPR of 89, his equal-best rating of the previous four years (got a 90 rating at Southwell in June 2003).

On those two details alone, quite apart from him outwardly at least still seeming to love the job of racing right until his end, I’m not sure Richard Lee had any sort of case to answer over Southerndown’s unfortunate demise.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Just watched old warrior Marked man finish a respectable 4th of only 5 finishers at Towcester. Not given a hard time when he couldn’t quite go with the leading bunch. Jumped well and looked to be enjoying it. :)

Finished a bit tired but then so did all the others (except the 5 who pulled up or unseated, most of them less than half his age!) I really don’t think Lee is wrong to keep him running, and given that he had not run for 110 days, think he’s still got plenty left to give for a while yet :D

DaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Just watched old warrior Marked man finish a respectable 4th of only 5 finishers at Towcester. Not given a hard time when he couldn’t quite go with the leading bunch. Jumped well and looked to be enjoying it. :)

Finished a bit tired but then so did all the others (except the 5 who pulled up or unseated, most of them less than half his age!) I really don’t think Lee is wrong to keep him running, and given that he had not run for 110 days, think he’s still got plenty left to give for a while yet :D

Lets hope your right Nighthorse, however beaten 55 lengths dosn’t convince me that the horse "looked to be enjoying it" as you put it. The racereaders report reads "beaten from 15th, lost touch before the next, tailed off". He may well have needed the run, whether the handicapper drops his mark is another thing. :D

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Ok,I admit I may have gone a bit OTT there Dave, but when you look at the full race result that was a really tough race and I still think he did pretty well, all things considered.

Unexpectedly hot, and 5 out of 10 runners pulling up or unseating due to tiredness, he still beat the favourite home, and several others who were a lot younger and expected to do better than the old chap. :D

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Bovari won a Foxhunters Chase last year at age 19. He must be the last Nijinsky still running. :lol:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.