The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Responsible Journalism

Home Forums Horse Racing Responsible Journalism

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Dipped into the latest edition of RUK’s Club Magazine whilst meditating in the smallest room yesterday, and found myself absorbed by a really thoughtful, well-written piece from Nick Luck.

Unlike some Sports Betting Writers of the Year [i:2df1rsdc][cough][/i:2df1rsdc] Luck knows how to string his sentences together into a logical pattern, and what he has to say about the racing media’s patchy and pragmatic relationship with trainers and jockeys is cogent, balanced and pithy, with amusingly meaty examples to support his argument.

No link of course, as the article’s exclusive to the printed magazine, so here are a few quotes. Despite his journalistic instinct Luck honestly pinpoints the large danger inherent in making post-race interviews with winning connections obligatory – namely, that “it is perfectly feasible to imagine that the cooperative majority would become less so, while the reluctant minority would be sanctioned to get away with the bare minimum.”

He also points to the dangers of the anodyne “stage managed” press conferences familiar from other sports becoming frequent in racing, and points to a recent, “disturbingly resonant incident” where Hayler Turner’s ‘people’ allowed her to “chill away” one of his fellow presenters on Derby Day, despite the fact that she was being paid as the face of the event: “Highly ironic, really, given that it is Turner’s slight frame upon which Racing for Change is attempting to hang the Emperor’s New Clothes. Beware the attempted hyping of people whose default mode is not to be a celebrity.”

Finally, Luck points out that “Contrary to contemporary thinking, racing has far greater access to its participants than most other sports.” Control and regulation would only short-change the viewer, and today’s informal pragmatism offers much the best chance of keeping people genuinely well informed.

With journalists of the quality of Luck and Lydia Hislop around, racing need not fear the incursion of the kind of sad, ill-written blogs and bookies dogs highlit in other threads.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

please translate into language I might understand.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

I’ll be re-subscribing to RUK shortly and must say I’m looking forward to another winter in the company of Luck, Hislop, Fremantle and co.

Racing demigods they aren’t but they’re as good as we’re likely to get in a little world where the one-eyed man is king

70p a day :)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

You want more dumbing-down, Barry?

Colin Phillips

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Well, the boy Lucky was bangin’ on abaht ‘ow some geezers wot train ‘orses won’t give ya the time of bleedin’ day nawhadays (etc etc

ad nauseam

)….

Mike

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Written like an old Etonian.
    :roll:

Hmmm, so Hayley has basically no personality with little to say that is worth listening to – and they’re trying to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear. :wink:

To quote Bill Shankly :
    " They use words like avaricious, where we we just say, greedy ! " :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Well, the boy Lucky was bangin’ on abaht ‘ow some geezers wot train ‘orses won’t give ya the time of bleedin’ day nawhadays (etc etc ad nauseam)….

:mrgreen:

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Written like an old Etonian.

I disagree. It reads like it was written by someone who knows how to write.

Hmmm, so Hayley has basically no personality with little to say that is worth listening to

I don’t think he said that, did he?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

If dumbing down is good enough for the vox populi ( ie. McCririck and Thommo ), then it’s good enough for RUK…Nick Luck, and the plebs ( count me in :P ) here ! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Blah, blah, blah .. somethin or nothin .. :D

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Magnificent parody, Pinza.

I nearly popped a rib. :D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.