The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Redcar Races

Home Forums Horse Racing Redcar Races

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

I’m new on here and live in the north-east but love reading the ‘old day’ topics. Do any of you remember when Redcar Races, as well as the Zetland Gold Cup, hosted the Vaux Gold Tankard and the Andy Capp Handicap?
    I remember the first Redcar meeting I went to in my teens – the course was packed and Lester Piggott was up here to ride the grey sprinter Raffingora (I think it was trained by Bill Marshall). It was favourite and duly won, coming straight up the middle of the course – as usual Piggott rode a perfect race. Great memories…
    Do any of you remember some big winners at Redcar?

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

First racecourse I was ever taken to by daddy when I was a kid growing up in South Bank.

When I moved down south, I used to visit my brother who lived in Redcar, and often timed it with a visit to the races.

There was a Water Rats charity day there in the 90s and I took my eight-year-old lad, same as I had been taken by my dad. Paul Daniels was there as he was chief of the Water Rats- a South Bank lad himself who used to run our local shop with his parents and try out some of his magic on us kids- Paul was King Rat back then as chairman of the Water Rats and owned a horse that was running called King Rat, 33/1 as I recall and it hosed up. All the clues were there- Water Rats charity- King Rat there with his horse King Rat running. Must have been worth a fiver each way, but never had a penny on it.

Edit- King Rat won at 7/1, I’ve checked it out. Could well have been double figures on opening show, but very doubtful that it was ever 33/1. My memory 26 years on is looking poor

silent assassins
    Participant
    • Total Posts 251

I was there when Hunner B won the Andy capp Handicap think it was 1975_1976 then went on to be top horse for Henry Cecil think he started his career with geoff Toft at Beverley happy memories

silent assassins
    Participant
    • Total Posts 251

Meant Gunner B

Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

I remember seeing Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee at Redcar Races – he sponsored a race every year. I think it was called the Paul Daniels Magic Stakes

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

Are you from Redcar, Footlogger? I lived in Lord Street for a while and used to go horse riding on the beach, hired from a long-gone stable in Red Lion Street.

Many trainers over the years have used that beach. Phil Kirby is a regular these days

Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

I’m from Skelton, Tank.

Mary Reveley trained just up the road near Lingdale. My wife was out walking our dog in the early 1990’s when she came across a horse being walked up a nearby lane. The rider told her it was Mellottie which we’d backed a few weeks earlier in the Zetland Gold Cup, where it got beaten. He said the horse got a slight injury in the race and was having a rest before they would train it to aim for the Cambridgeshire later in the season. On her return she told me the story and said ‘Don’t forget to back it!’

When the anti-post betting opened there were 6 joint-favourites at 22-1 !!! I didn’t bother, then on the day of the race I couldn’t get to a bookie’s for some reason. ‘Course, it went and won backed down to 10-1 and ridden by John Lowe – the wife went mad! :wacko:

Mary had a lot of winners at Redcar and often took her horses training on Coatham Beach where you probably rode. Her grandson, James, is riding in the race on telly now at Pau, in France!

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

Nice story about the late Mary Revely, a lovely lady. Had no idea her grandson was a jockey

Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

:good:

Footslogger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

James Reveley just won the 4.10 at Pau on Garo de Juilley 25/1 :good:

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

Hope you were on B-)

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4164

Never been to the races there before but used to go for a few days holiday’s to Redcar when we were kids along with Uncles, Aunties and cousins. Stayed in a caravan up near the boating lake and amusement fair. Went a few times a couple of years ago for a stroll around and fish and chips as you do.

A bit sad driving past the old steelworks on the way in off the A66 and how things must of gone downhill a bit. Hopefully the new free port development kicks off for the area.

Will certainly try and make the races as soon as we can. :yes:

Speaking of the A66 there was a racecourse just off there at Stockton, a bit before my time to of been there.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1036

That would be Teesside Park, closed many years ago and now a Retail Park.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I have never been to Redcar races, but I do remember seeing midweek racing on ITV from there and Sea Pigeon winning a 1m6f Handicap at 13/2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.