The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Re-opened Races

Home Forums Horse Racing Re-opened Races

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

There’s a 6F handicap at Warwick tomorrow (Friday), which is just a run of the mill race. However there is an interesting aspect to it which won’t be made public.

When declarations closed at 10 am on Wednesday, there were only three runners due to turn out – Bee Eater, Prospect Place and Rebel Duke. As per the rules, the race was then re-opened in an attempt to attract extra runners. In practice, Weatherbys phone every trainer that had an entry and inform them that only three have declared and ask if they want to change their mind about running.

In this case, five trainers decided that although they weren’t interested at 10.00, by 10.30, they were keen to have a go.

Two points arise here – why is this information not made public by means of an indicator on the racecard? Secondly, will the result show that the three original declarations have an edge, having presumably been prepared for the race?

In fact, as a topical point, is this ‘inside information’ available to Weatherbys which ought to be made public on that basis.

Btw, I raised these questions in respect of two NH races late last year – on that occasion the horses added to a couple of chases produced a last place and a first fence fall – both started at single figure prices.

I firmly believe that late declarations should be notified to punters and I’ll keep bashing away on here in the hope that someone will pick up on this.

AP

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2155

In fact, as a topical point, is this ‘inside information’ available to Weatherbys which ought to be made public on that basis.

AP

AP,

i say it wasn’t inside information – even before you just put in the Public Domain – on the basis that it wasn’t information known to Wetherbys as a Service Provider, defined as :

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    a person who has provided a service or services for an Owner, Trainer or Rider connected with his involvement with racehorses.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

i think the William Hill case pretty much showed, as regards finalising race-entries, that Wetherbys provides services to none of those named.

imo Wetherbys provides services only to whichever TLA (three-letter acronym) has now taken over from the BHB.

best regards

wit

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.