The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Re-classification of ‘drugs’

Home Forums Lounge Re-classification of ‘drugs’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Being a Libertarian I believe individuals should be free to inflict as much damage on themselves as they wish so long as that self-inflicted damage doesn’t impinge on the freedom (liberty) of others.

So do away with drug possession being an offence and use the police resources freed up as a result to concentrate on tackling the trafficking.

And rather than class drugs by the harm they cause the individual indulging in them, class them by the harm they cause innocent third-parties.

Which means of course alcohol would be a Class A drug.

The get-p**sed smoke-free culture. A very strange juxtaposition.

(Edited by Drone at 10:08 pm on July 30, 2006)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I suspect that they will have a think about changing laws and all that good stuff and then bottle it at the last minute .. the same way as they did with canabis.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

:biggrin:  .. an unexpected side-effect ??

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:shrug: or drog

<br> flatcapgamble…:coolwink:

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Ive never had any urges to want to try all the various forms of narcotics and cocaine over the years seems to be endorsed as a celebrity drug and a form of leisure pursuit.

All i would do is legalize all drugs but anyone who wants to do drugs should be registered with local police and hospitals so that if they have to be rushed in because of overdosing then they must pay extra money for treatment and if that is deemed as being harsh then remember that they must have had enough money to buy drugs in the first place.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

All i would do is legalize all drugs but anyone who wants to do drugs should be registered with local police and hospitals so that if they have to be rushed in because of overdosing then they must pay extra money for treatment and if that is deemed as being harsh then remember that they must have had enough money to buy drugs in the first place.

I agree whole-heartedly Neil.

As long as your scheme is extended to smokers, drinkers and those who indulge in sports, of course.

All of them are a burden on the Welfare State, and all of them knew exactly what they were doing, when they got into their particular ‘thing’.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Criminalization is keeping drug dealers in business,

and as someone has been told time and time again they got ill from it I actually think if they could somehow make it less likely to trigger a mental illness, then legalisation would be the lesser of the two evils.

I definately need to study this issue in further detail.

You may find this aids your research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_polic … etherlands

You’d have thought the messy experience of alcohol prohibition in the USA would have taught governments a thing or two about the futility of criminalising drugs.

Cannabis like virtually all drugs deemed ‘controlled substances’ in the West is easy and dirt cheap to produce so you’re right, it is that illegality that drives the market price sky high and delivers astronomical profits for those in the manufacture and supply chain (traffickers/dealers).

Tobacco and alcohol are also dirt cheap to produce and the market price is sky high for them too but delivers astronomical profits not to those involved in manufacture/supply but to governments in the form of excise duty.

So introduce a legal, controlled manufacture and distribution network, decriminalise all drug taking, and whack a hefty retail duty on the drugs so the user contributes via this ‘tax’ to the costs of treating those who choose to abuse yet another liberty.

Liberty/freedom does not mean it’s okay to behave badly or irresponsibly, it means tolerating even encouraging minorities who choose to live a life at odds with your own

And never underestimate the lure of the illicit. I would contend that legality would decrease ‘interest’ in drugs cf. the teenage attraction to increasingly taboo ciggies

As for cannabis and mental illness well there may well be a connection but there’s plenty that’s bad for you if done to excess. After 30+ years of light, intermiitent usage I’m happy to report that ‘I’ve taken more out of cannabis than cannabis has taken out of me’ to paraphrase Churchill’s words on that semi-hard drug alcohol.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

To be fair, if the Stoners had ever managed to get their sh*it together, it would have been legalised ages ago……………

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7853

a relative of mine suffered from cannabis psychosis a couple of years ago; was very upsetting for everyone concerned..as a hippy/liberal/child of the sixties I was all in favour of legalizing everything..not sure what I think now……

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

I lean slightly towards legalisation
    but with a lot of ifs and butts.

Ventnor in the Isle of Wight
    is a nice hilly place.
    On Sundays David Ike
    could give ‘ the afflicted ‘ drug free sermons
    and they’d never know the difference

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7853

I’m sure I read that it’s a bit like Russian roullette and that a certain percentage of people will be affected by cannabis in this way, but you don’t know it till it happens to you…? it was such a shock when it happened to him; thankfully he seems to be ok now, but must never use it again or it could happen again….think he’s not allowed to touch alcohol either, but that may just have been when he was still on medication.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Cannibis just affects different people in different ways. Admittedly Ive never been a serious habitual user of it, but have accepted it as an alternative for owed money in the past.

My mate used to be a serious smoker, a load of us used to sit round his house playing mario kart on the SNES and having comps to go without food and water and just keep smoking to see who would whitey out first. It was fair to say that he had a much higher tolerance of it than me, or so it appeared. One day he just went loopey on it and has never been right since (that was about 11 years ago), he just stays in his house ever since and his mum would walk into his room and find the place spray canned with some psychotic ramblings every once in a while. Properly feel sorry for his parents as they were sound as a pound and had great expectations for him as he was pretty clever, but now he’s a "beaten docket" so to speak.

I used to think that instead of legalising cannibis they should just release Valium as a recreational drug, but then my brother is getting weaned off them by the doctor at present and has panic attacks without them.

I know a couple of lads who have done between them more than 350,000 quid up their nose over the years, one owns a car valet and the other a cleaning company. They are definitely not rich by any stretch, but they just cant have a drink without it. I defintely wouldnt be up for legalising that.

I must admit though as I was sat in a club at six on saturday morning mashed up with some accountant girl (who was well sound) , I was thinking about how brilliant it would be if they legalised :D Es, it seemed like a brilliant idea. But then again everything was brilliant, from the music to the fascinating conversation. Perhaps it was only an average idea in hindsight. :shock: One of my old mates died last year off a bad E but perhaps if they were legalised and the percentage MDMA controlled it could work, after all the government did create them to help WW1 soldiers stay alert in the trenches. D’oh

Legalising any of the banned substances has pros and cons and I cant see the current orwellian administration being up for anything.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I had a horrific whitey a few weeks back………………….spewed my ringer (if you’ll pardon the graphics) all over the place.

But it was my own fault. I’d only had a bacon roll all day (after golf in the sun) and had about 3 pints and five bottles of beer (with the sorely missed and much loved Golden Cygnet) before partaking of the weed.

Serves me right – it was a complete rookie error, and even then, I could have been saved if I’d have been able to get hold of a packet of Rolo’s or a Snickers.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t agree with legalising cannabis, or any other form of narcotic.

I know a few who have gone loopey because of dope and some that have gone loopey and don’t even know they have.

Great post Bulwark .. I can relate to much of that !!

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

There are many, many, many more people “go loopy” through alcohol abuse, than go loopy through smoking cannabis.

They are also a much greater burden on society, through anti-social behaviour and cost-impact on the Welfare State.

If booze is legal, why not cannabis??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.