Random Reflections

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2015 Random Reflections

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by befair befair 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5489

1) Un De Sceaux didn’t blow me away like he had at Leopardstown but there are a couple of likely reasons for this. Firstly, he has handled deep ground exceptionally well, and while he acted well on the quicker surface, a soft surface likely accentuates his superiority. Also, he’s relaxing so much better than he used to and it’s possible the days of him going like a bat out of hell out in front may be over, which can only be a good thing for his longevity. And what a smart round of jumping.

2) Faugheen was exceptional in the Champion Hurdle, and Arctic Fire continued his upward curve. Although the latter closed at the line, Faugheen put the race to bed round the home turn and things couldn’t have been more straightforward really. A stronger pace and something to aim at would surely suit the front two more than the way Tuesday’s race was ran, although that’s all Ruby had to do to guarantee the victory. And a word to Hurricane Fly, who has probably ran as well as he ever has at Cheltenham.

3) The tactics on Nichols Canyon puzzled me. He was served so well by using his high cruising speed and accurate jumping out in front in the Deloitte. His speed got others in trouble. I thought there was every chance Windsor Park could reverse those placings up in trip and with different tactics and the chances of that happening increased no end when Nichols Canyon jumped off in behind.

4) Mullins had a great festival but I’d say he wishes he hadn’t brought Un Atout over. Last in the Coral Cup and ruined Champagne Fever’s chance at a Champion Chase he would surely have gone very close in. Dodging Bullets has improved but I’d fancy Champagne Fever to take him over 2m at the Festival.

5) Yanworth was one of the unluckiest horses of the week. He’d probably have been at least second with a clear run in the Bumper.

6) I see Timeform have rated Valseur Lido a pound higher than Apache Stronghold on account of Cooper dropping his whip but for me the Apache emerged with more credit than the Gigginstown horse. He was the only one to (briefly) give chase to the phenomenal Vautour and in my opinion if the winner hadn’t been in the race, Apache would have beaten Valseur Lido by a few lengths. He gave chase to Vautour when Valseur Lido couldn’t go with them, and then when he looked like being passed after the last, he battled back to head his old foe, whip or no whip. (On a side note, how on earth did Apache go off at 7/1 compared with Valseur Lido 9/2?)

7) I was against Don Cossack in the Ryanair and although he was beaten I felt like I called it wrong. He emerged with a huge amount of credit. He made a bad mistake four out and was then hampered two out when he landed in the middle of the fence. I was surprised at how well he then stayed on for third. It will be interesting to see what connections do now. They went to the well at all the festivals bar Fairyhouse last season and the horse was knackered come Punchestown.

8) If Buywise ever puts in a clean round of jumping he’ll bolt in.

9) Petite Parisienne finished ahead of Dicosimo in the Triumph but if they meet at Punchestown I fancy Dicosimo will turn the tables. He’s a raw sort of animal and it appeared that Cheltenham was too much, too soon. He should have learned plenty from that and has a decent future over fences imo.

10) Despite the hampering of No More Heroes (that one really hurt) the Albert Bartlett was the finish of the week for me. Three horses giving absolutely everything. Milsean looked a bit quirky previously but he gave his all here, while Martello Tower is as tough as they come. For No More Heroes to stay on again having had his nose cut off at the end of an attritional three miles was a top performance. As they say, three horses ‘you’d go to war with’.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20742

Un De Sceaux had loads left in the tank Tommy. They found him hard to keep hold of afterwards in the winners enclosure, he was scrapping the ground like a bull ready to charge for ages and looked full of beans, I think a few were surprised when the runner up looked to be mounting a challenge but I reckon Ruby knew how much horse he had under him and could of won by loads more.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5489

If he had sent him in earlier he would only have won by more, but I think it’s good that he’s no longer an absolute tearaway. Gives them more options in terms of trip too.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

I’m always fascinated by How trainers decide their horses best trips. Breeding? Performances at gallops? Moscow flyer, for example, was nver tried at longer than 2 1/2 miles, tho he gave every indication of staying further. I appreciate he was a champion in a golden age of 2 milers, but 3 miles is more prestigious and lucrative. Similarly with UDS; will he ever be given the chance e.g at the King George; that Willie has so much fire-power will probably dictate that he never gets a crack at it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.